Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:08 PM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

Time for my furbaby!

Hi all!

Some of you may already know that I have been looking for just the right furbaby doggie to bring home and make a little happy family with my boyfriend and I. Well, due to a bunch of reasons, I had delayed my search a little till after the holidays... well, the holidays are here and soon coming to a close! So it's finally time to intensify my search, and I am so excited.

Here is my situation - I live in an apartment in downtown Montreal with my BF and we both work 9-5. However, my BF will be home for lunch for one hour every day.

I am looking for a dog that would adjust well to this situation. Preferably a sleepy baby that can snooze for a while while we work.

I do have an undeniable obsession with pugs- but I am open to many breeds, and of course, I want to rescue a furbaby.

If anyone knows of any possible matches for me, I woild be delighted!

My boyfriend and I have the following plan - we are looking at all the rescues right now. If nothing can be arranged through them, we will be going to the SPCA for our first official look on December 31st. It's kind of symbolic, but I really want to get my dog that day (since I have it off from work also!) so we can all ring in the new year together at home as a little happy family. :love:

Bring on your suggestions people... I know I can count on you all for the best possible ideas!

Hope you are all having and will have a beautiful and loving holiday season.

Kisses and huggies to all your pets!!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi great news okay now specifics how big? Any fav's besides pugs? Bassett hound? Old English cross? May I make a suggestion Great Dane wonderful apt. dogs do not require huge amounts of exercise and if you dont tell them they think they are lap dogs. For your next comment no I am not nuts (well okay maybe I am) but large dogs make great apt. dogs they are quite happy to sleep while you are out at work earning their keep.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Well of course I think a pit bull would be perfect, but if not, how does a rather large Min Pin strike you?

Scroll down to "Mamoth".
Animatch

The catch is that they will not adopt until Jan 2nd.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi SarahJane

Just want to wish you all the best with whichever furbaby you end up choosing. I know you've been looking forward to this for a while and wanted to wish you and your new furbaby Happy Holidays.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:53 PM

Hi all!!
Thanks for your suggestions mastifflover... Great Dane hmm? I've actually heard the same, that they make great apartment pets... maybe if I had a loft! lol But seriously, we have one big living room, but the rest of my place is rather narrow... not sure how well a Dane would work out there.

I have to admit to having a soft spot for small-medium sized dogs, so we will likely end up choosing one of that size. I do know that one day though, when my circumstances change, I will get a husky. )

Lucky - I struggle with the pittie idea a lot, I really love them... by NO means do I have any belief that pitties are inherently aggressive, etc... any of that BS. But call me a wuss - I don't think I'm ready to handle all the BS that will come my way from all the ignoramuses out there when it comes to pitties. I sound like a wimp - hell, guess I am one. As for Mamoth, seen him lots of times before (I check all the Montreal rescues on a pretty much daily basis!) and he's SUCH a cutie, but Animatch does indicate he would not be a match for families with babies. No plans now, but seeing as this will be a 10-15 year commitment, and I have no clue when/if my maternal urges will kick in, I'd prefer to go with a baby-friendly little dog. Although I'll bet any dog is baby-friendly, with the right guidance...

twinmommy - thank you so much for your kind words! They mean a lot coming from you. I hope you and your family are very well and Gypsy is still her big sucky sweet self!!!

So, looks like I'll be seeking out a small-medium dog... and also, I think I'll just know when I see that right one... he/she will adopt me!

Not sure if I should mention it as I fear jinxing myself, but I am in talks with Gerdy's rescue about Sir the Boston Terrier they have up on his site... he is currently in a trial situation and there are cats involved. They weren't sure how he would do in that situation - they are giving it a shot but if it doesn't work out I may get a chance with him on the 31st! :love: I'd prefer that it works out for him where he is now so he doesn't get shuffled around and stressed so muchm but if for any reason it doesn't, my boyfriend and I would love to give him a forever home!

In other news... we are taking care of a kitty this week for a friend (plus this will be a test to see if I am still allergic to cats). She is due to arrive tonight, so expect pics by tomorrow!

Take care all! Relax after all that Christmas shopping... I know I need to...

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:21 PM
banned user

SarahJane

Sir... !!! I'm so happy for you. I hope it all works out. He is a Cutie. Did you read Brigit's story. It's just heart wrenching. :sad:
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:36 PM

Hi Bugsy!

We're excited too. We hope it works out! Brigit's story? Hmm, don't quite know what you're talking about! Please, do tell!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:56 PM
banned user

SJ

Brigit is the dog right below Sir...http://www.gerdysrescue.org/index_ENG.html
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:58 PM

Bugsy..
Oh! Of course! I thought you were talking about someone/something to do with Sir...

I know, that broke my heart when I read it. I really can't comprehend the depths of human cruelty sometimes. I'm ashamed to be the same species as a creature that would so such a thing. I hope Brigit finds a wonderful, loving home!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I just have to say again, that if you want a sweet, affectionate, quiet dog who is a wonderful housepet, you might consider a greyhound!

They come in a range of sizes, from fairly small to huge and in all colours and most would be very happy and grateful to curl up on your sofa all day.

Shirley Smith, who runs Greyhound Rescue Quebec, is a wonderful and nice lady.
Greyhound Rescue QC
Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:18 PM

I just loved Sir.... If we could've go to Montreal I would've taken him in a heartbeat!!
www.blinddogs.com has a set of 9mnth old pug brothers who need to be adopted together. 1 is blind, the other is his "seeing eye dog" LOL.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:30 PM

Hey Sheriffmom! Isn't Sir a sweetie? We hope he's happy at his current trial home, but at the same time we are keeping our fingers crossed that we'll get a chance at him!!

I tried to go to www.blinddogs.com but the link isn't working! :sad: I would just adore two pugs, especially if I could help some that need help... maybe you have a direct link to their ad or something?

And Lucky, I am consdering a Greyhound as well. I do love them!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:04 PM

Update...

Well, Sir is not doing so well is his new home... he's great, but the cats that live there just won't accept him - they have been hiding under their moms bed since he arrived a week ago! So that means, we will likely get him!!! Poor thing has been living in a cage at the vets since September, and looks like he may have to go back again till the 31st which is when we can take him (our cat that we are caring for now will go back to her home on the 30th).

Anyways, I really am BEYOND excited... the woman that has him now had nothing but good things to say about him! :love:

In other news, the kitty (Cleo) that I have staying with me is SUCH a sweetie... she was scared last night when she first got here but she has really come around. She is very playful, happy and affectionate! We just adore her. As soon as I can find my USB cable I will get some pics up!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor

YAY!!! I'm sooo happy for you! Let us know what happens!
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

This is very exciting news! I'm sorry that poor dog is being bounced, but it can take MUCH more than a week to integrate cats and dogs. Oh, well..

He has LOTS of energy, so you better eat your Wheaties.

We'll be waiting to hear all about this CUTIE!
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:16 PM

Yay!

YAY!! I'm very happy for you SarahJane! If only more people would put so much thought and patience into finding the perfect pet, maybe there wouldn't be so many dumped!!!

I have to agree about the greyhound thing if Sir doesn't work out for any reason. I'm dog sitting a whippet until January and she is SOOOOO sweet! She is small, and very quiet. She just lazes around all day. I really love having her here!

I am also watching a Great Dane until Sunday, and although she is very sweet, she is still in her puppy stage so she's getting into everything! She is also HUGE! I keep finding drool on my countertops!! We've been enjoying her company none the less, and I'm sure she'll settle down once she's older. We also have a chocolate lab who is very sweet, and a golden retriever. Tomorrow, we get a cocker spaniel cross. Luckily, the spaniel, golden, and dane go home on Sunday, but the lab and whippet stay for a bit longer. On Sunday, we get a rhodesian ridgeback aswell! You know you love animals when........
Old December 24th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Hi Sarahjane,
Congrats on Sir!!! Glad to hear he is going to a great home.
Here is the link again. Hope it works!!

http://www.blinddogs.com/
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:58 AM

I am going to meet Sir in 2 hours! I can't wait! I'll definitely let you all know how it goes.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 24th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Well, he sure was a cutie! He was a real monster though... SO hyper, and a bit aggresive! :sad: Of course, we were visitors, we brought him a new toy, and he's been in a CAGE for the last three months save the last week!

Still, while I love him, we're not sure about him... and I feel so bad, but it has to feel right, doesn't it?

We're still thinking about it. Honestly, if it was me, I'd go for it, but my BF has lots of reservations... he definitely needs a lot of work if ever we plan to have kids, and I really don't think he's cut out to be alone most of the day.

I don't know what to do. :sad:

Anyways, merry Christmas all!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 24th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

good luck

Good luck with meeting Sir. Boston's are great little dogs. Not quite as busy as Pugs. May just be a lovely Christmas present for the both of you!
Old December 26th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Unhappy Update

Well, as I said in my last post, things didnt't quite go how I had hoped with Sir. :sad:

Here is the letter that I just sent Gerdy's rescue:

Hi Gerdy,

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and are enjoying the holidays. )

I'm just writing to let you know how it went with Sir (or Mr. Beasly? Or Bosco?) after our meeting with him on Friday. I didn't want to call you so I wouldn't disturb you over the holidays!

We really loved that Boston, but we are worried we can't handle him! He has SO much energy, like I've never seen before in a Boston, let alone most other breeds! Of course we understand that we were new people, he's in a new situation, and not only that, but we brought him a toy that he went NUTS over! So he was really excited. But a couple of little things did worry me - he demonstrated some aggression when we were trying to take his toys, an amount I was not so comfortable with. We would like to have kids in the next few years so this is a concern. I know he could be worked with, but there is always a risk this will remain an issue... I understand this is an inherent risk with all animals, but it is just higher in some cases than others.

I know I'm by no means an expert, but I really think he would benefit from a family that has more time to dedicate to his training and who has a yard he can bomb around in to get out all that energy - I truly think that would make him a much more gentle and relaxed pooch!

Also, I am used to dogs (energetic terriers!), but my boyfriend was not raised with dogs and really doesn't know what to do with so much doggy energy! We need to find a match that suits us both -if we had more time at home and more dog experience as a couple then I think Sir would have been a perfect match.

It was really hard, especially since I was SO determined to take him, but we've realized that Sir is not a match for us. We really don't think it would be fair to him to take him in with the present circumstances in our lives.

We really want this to be the right match for all involved, because the last thing we want is to have to give him back and have him bounced around homes AGAIN.

I hope this comes at a time when other families have expressed interest in him. I'm sure there will be tons! I post on a forum at pets.ca, and I already know lots of loving animal people have seen him and loved what they saw and there will surely be interest from quality, experienced pet seekers from that board.

I'm so sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. I hope you continue to have a great holiday season!

If I see another potential match on your site, I'll be sure to let you know! And I'll realize that when you say "lots of energy," you REALLY mean it!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi! If you're still looking for a dog, have you looked at the SPCA Monteregie?
www.spcamonteregie.com. I was looking at their website today, and they have some beautiful dogs!
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow,do they ever have a lot of beautiful dogs! SarahJane,if you want a calmer dog,why not a larger breed?
My son has a 5 yr old Jack Russel,although I love her,she would be the last type of dog I would ever get,she's just a bundle of unending energy
Old December 29th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Owned by goldens

Time for furbaby

Sorry the Boston didn't work out for you. I personally have a grudge against that breed as I was bitten by one when I was a child. LOL I was so insulted.

In Montreal there is also Rosie's adoptions that you can check out. As for the S.P.C.A. Monteregie they have a " no kill" policy and I think if memory serves me right over 300 dogs and cats. They are bursting at the seams but it is run by wonderful and caring people. They are located about 40 minutes from Montreal and just off the Eastern Townships autoroute.

Good luck
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out with Sir...I had my fingers crossed for you.
This may sound stupid, but I believe in intuition -- if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. I'm sure you'll find a dog that's the right fit!
good luck in your search!
Old December 31st, 2004, 08:18 AM

SarahJane, I would like you to contact a Greyhound Rescue in your area. These are an excellent family pet that would do well in an apartment and I don't think you will have the problem with the hyperness etc.....

Here is a link for the Greyhound Rescue in your area. Go and meet with them and research the breed.

http://www.greyhoundrescue.bigstep.com/aboutus.html

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old December 31st, 2004, 10:31 AM

We are headed to the SPCA this morning to take a look... I'm a bit weary of the SPCA but I feel compelled to go for some reason... we may bring home something furry! I'll update when I get back.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 31st, 2004, 06:08 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

hey sarah-jane! how'd it go???
Old December 31st, 2004, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

HI SarahJane!!

I've been busy with Christmas and holiday stuff, but I was anxious to come back and see how your furbaby situation was

Sorry to hear it didn't work out with Sir, but I think you know in your heart that you did the right thing. It has to feel right, like any other commitment that you make. Don't feel bad, this just confirms that you're a caring person who takes pet onwership seriously. Kudos to you!!

How did it go at the SPCA? Last time I poked my head in there I came home with Gypsy..as a puppy.....and her 3 sisters...!!! (Man!! Did they see me coming!! LOLOL!)

Happy New Year
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:10 PM

Well, I went and bawled my eyes out as I suspected I would!
There were some REAL beauties there, gorgeous dogs, cats, bunnies and hamsters, but none were the right match... I guess we are really being picky?? I did fall head over heels for a collie mix named Maya... SUCH a sweetheart -

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...25&tmpl=&stat=

There's no pic on petfinder but she's beautiful! blonde and white with the most soulful eyes. :love:

But my BF was not able to be convinced that she was right for us. :sad: A little tiff to bring in the new year is always fun. He said that her energy demands and size were too much for us, and I disagreed - but, we both have to agree.

We thought we may just get a cat for now and wait till we have time for a puppy, but again, my BF thinks we should just wait to have a puppy.

What we are going to do, and this is pretty much our final decision on the subject, is either adopt an adult pug if one becomes available or get a pug puppy this summer when we can both take a few weeks off. We both agree (I suppose I agree) that if I want a pug so much, I should really just wait to get the right one.

There will be a time in my life, down the road, when I have more time and more space (a yard, etc) for a rescue dog like Maya.

It's weird how much I want a pet NOW. It's like I feel it's really missing from my life. Especially after having the sweet cat at my place for a week... my house felt like a home! I got so used to having her around.

But I suppose I should be patient and wait for the perfect dog (which we think will be a pug) to come around. It will be SO nice when he/she does. :love:

Happy New Year everyone!!!

All the best to you and yours, and all your sweet furbabies.

I am simply staying home tonight with my BF but I sure wish I had some pets around to ring the new year in with... not that he's not my sweet pet, but you all understand

- Woodrow Wilson