Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old December 16th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Unhappy Our morkie recently died - looking for another

Our family dog, Sophie, tragically died of toxic shock. We are sick with grief but our vet is suggesting that for our daughters sake, we consider another dog. After much debate - I didn't want to rush into a new pet - we have decided to get another one. Sophie was a morkie (yorkie/maltese mix) we got her from a family that needed to give her up, as they were moving to a new city. Our vet brought us together. They called the breed Linnion - but understand that this is not a 'breed' rather the name of the first breeder in Quebec. Anyway, short of a pet store, I have no idea where to find a morkie. We have talked to every yorkie breeder, posted on US sites...and the only call we got was from some man on the island of Cameron...needlesstosay I am not calling him back. We are looking for a morkie - yorkie/maltese. A female is preferred, but we would be open to a puppy or a slightly older dog. This breed, while not purebred, is amazing. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks so for your help.
If you have any information please post here or email me at (in keeping with site policy, email has been removed. Please PM OP if you would like the email, tks -- Carnac) We live in Ontario and would like to find someone here in Canada.
We appreciate it.

Last edited by Carnac; May 29th, 2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add city
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:48 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Sorry to hear about your Sophie. I feel your pain :sad:. I think getting a new pup is a great idea even though it won't replace the one you've just lost. But it will help fill the empty spot in your life. Good luck on your search.
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

So sorry for your loss
Have you thought about rescuing a dog? there's a really good pet-finding site : http://www.petfinder.org
They don't have any maltese/yorkie mixs right now, but they do have a list of small breeds available for adoption (lahsa apso, poodle mix, etc...)
Good luck in your search!
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:44 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss This must be a very hard time for you. Hopefully your fond memories of your little one and your vision for your new pup/dog will help you along the way.

A head's up on Morkies from Quebec/border of Ontario. Many morkies are bred in puppy mills and by backyard breeders. They are what some call a designer breed. I agree that they, like all dogs, must be a lovable companion---one that is not easily replaced. My first thread here on Pets.ca was about Morkies and my desire to have one.

As such, be wary in your hunt for your new bundle of joy. You want to make sure you get a healthy baby to become the newest member of your family--and of course that you don't support poor breeding.

Best of luck
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

So sorry for your loss.

I would check the meb999 posted.Also,try the shelters,SPCA and Humane Societies.Or even a rescue.There are rescue for each of these breeds.

Just so you know,no licenced responsible breeder of yorkies or maltese will have this "morkie".They only breed purebreds,not "mutts" or should I say "designer" breeds.These breeds come from what we call Backyard Breeders.They only do it for the money and will charge upto $700.PLEASE do not buy from a petstore,as their pups come from puppy mills and BYB's.And pet stores will also charge an arm and a leg for them.

Where in Ontario are you?
Old December 16th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Perhaps to avoid having a twin dog to your other dog you could entertain the idea of getting a purebred maltese or yorkshire terrier? Then you'd have a new dog--not one to replace your old one--but one that can give you the characteristics you loved in your old dog, but also some new ones you never knew you'd love?!!

This way you could find a registered breeder of show dogs and get your dog from a reputable place. While rescuing a homeless dog is always the best choice, I know that finding a yorkie or maltese under these circumstances and in a shelter will be pretty hard to do.
Old December 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_kirk
Perhaps to avoid having a twin dog to your other dog you could entertain the idea of getting a purebred maltese or yorkshire terrier? Then you'd have a new dog--not one to replace your old one--but one that can give you the characteristics you loved in your old dog, but also some new ones you never knew you'd love?!!

This way you could find a registered breeder of show dogs and get your dog from a reputable place. While rescuing a homeless dog is always the best choice, I know that finding a yorkie or maltese under these circumstances and in a shelter will be pretty hard to do.
So many people jump right in and try to duplicate their lost pet. It's human nature...been there myself. It is not fair to the new pet, which will never be like the departed, and it's not fair to the grieving owners.

When I lost Jesse to cancer in 1992, I went right out and found Ripley...she looked like Jesse and at first acted just like her. 3 months later I was placing her in a new home, mad at my self and sick at heart, Ripley was confused.
Seven years later Ciara just happened. So many medical issues with her but her love & devotion can never duplicated..ever. She will be a hard act to follow.
Old December 16th, 2004, 03:07 PM
owned by Tucker

Sorry for your loss. But I have to agree, you can never replace a lost one. Gettin the same cross breed might end up a heart break for you. Crosses are never the same, even when they are of the same breeds. My last dog was a Bernese Mountain dog crossed with a German shepperd and even the pups in the same litter were so different from him. When he was pts in January, we waited about 6 months and got a new pup. I went for a completely different dog, even though I would have never changed Travis I didn't want to even try to match him, he was one of a kind and he was gone. Now I love my new pup like crazy but Travis will always be in my heart. Even my children liked the idea of getting a new different dog. Ask your daughter talk to her and see what she thinks, give her a little time to accept the changes.
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:06 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss. Our Roxy was pts this past Aug. and we did welcome a puppy into our home 5 days later. Now Roxy was sick for a month before pts and I have to say bringing Scottie home was the best medicine for us. He did not replace Roxy, but filled an emptiness we as a family were feeling. He is an utter joy, the same breed as Roxy(Wheaten) but like every dog a completely different personality all his own!! This is an individual family decision to make and definitely not the choice for everyone, but it was the right one for us. Roxy is dearly missed and will always be in our hearts.
Good luck with your decision. I agree with others talk with your family on this.
Sue
Old December 17th, 2004, 08:11 PM

thank you

Thanks for the sympathy. I loved Sophie - she was the first dog we ever had. If you asked me 6 months ago about dogs, I would have said they were ok - but now...well she was one of our greatest loves. truly sad. About the morkie - I love the look of this 'breed'. I do not want to buy from a puppy mill..there is a breeder in Quebec...she specializes in morkies for sale. Does anyone if she is a good breeder. We do not want to jeopardize the health of any dog, buying a morkie from a pet store costs $2600 (last I looked). The website that this Quebec breeder says they are not a puppy mill - but common sense tells me it is. Although they appear to be cleaner, have better facilities? not sure what to do. I would love to get a new morkie, not to replace Sophie, but becuase we love this breed. Your advice is helpful. Thank you so much for that. Also, if anyone knows a breeder that they can recommend, please send me this information. I am new to all of this. Appreciate your help.
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:05 PM

I have private messaged you.
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Alexandra

Have you visited this location or are you just going by the pretty website? No offense meant by that comment. This many dogs spells puppymill to most of us in rescue. If you have visited it and seen that it is clean, that the dogs move around freely, that none appear to be nervous of human contact, that each dog is well cared for, ears clean, eyes clear, teeth in good condition, femals without bellies and nipples dragging on the ground, retired dogs living the life of leisure, that the dogs live in her home, not in cages, that every dog is available to be seen ... then you may start considering it as on the up n up. Also, do the dogs make a lot of noise when you go in or is it eerily quiet... many of these small dog breeders have them devocalized to avoid the constant yapping. This is food for thought when considering your next designer dog. The look is not all it's cracked up to be particuliarly for the dogs required to achieve that look.
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry for your loss. I would love to see a photo of Sophie. Even if a new pup looks exactly like her, it's personality will be different and you want to prepare your daughter for that. I have had 4 Den-Dens - each totally different although similar in appearance. The similarities are comforting while at the same time accentuating the differences. The name is like a tribute to the ones before and they all have had their own nicknames. With a cross of two breeds, the pups may take after either one. Take your time to choose carefully. This is a wonderful educational opportunity for your daughter as well as helping her through the grief of losing Sophie.
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Please accept my condolences.

Re the pet store. I do not know what pet store you "buy" from but just a word of warning (and many of us do not know this either till we start researching the issue) but virtualy 99% of pets in pet stores come from back yard breeders and puppy/kitten mills. You probbaly notice as you shop that no reputable pet store these days ever sells pets - like dogs, cats, bunnies.

That leaves rescues - and there are so many out there trying to help and care for the imnerable discarded pets. And one stat that startled me the first time I came across it is that 25% of all pets in rescue centers (or foster care for a rescue org) are purebred. I am certain there are Yorkie Rescue groups in North America somewhere!

You can also seek out breeders and find a reputable one.

I know almost nothing about "morkies" or even yorkies so I am sorry that I am not help there. (Is a morkie one of those so called blended dogs?

There are a plethora of good resources about greiving for your pet online. If you want a longer list, IM me. I know Lucky Rescue has a good list as well.

Here are some that I know of off hand (I am at my folks home for the holidays so my bookmarked sites are not acceissible and I did not have time to email the file with them on it to a web based email account.) While I am not greiving a loss, I am going though post trauamtic stress after an accident and it has been tougher than I thought.(I fortunately or unfortunately have an aunt wo is a psychiatrist and she suggests that is where my overly emotional state is from if late tho personally, I just think I am overwelmed and utterly exhasuted!)

http://www.petloss.com/
http://rainbowsbridge.com/
http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/CFAsiteindex.asp (You have to scroll to find the Pet Loss section)
http://www.aplb.org/
http://www.griefhealing.com/

I wonder about getting the same kind of dog though. When my bunny - who I absolutely adored and still mourn to this day (It has been over a year!)- I decided the best for me would be to find an entirely different breed. Another bunny would have been forever been compared (and I'd do it unconsiouly even after resolving not too!) and that would not have been fair to the new little one in my life.

There are positive sides to getting a similar pet tho - you understand the breed and that makes many important tasks easier.

Still, we are all different and you know what is best for you! I wish you the best of luck in your search and also in working through your grief! And good luck in helping your children with it as well - it is sometimes more difficult for hard for children to loose pets since it may well be their first encounter with death of a loved one.
Old December 17th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
While I am not greiving a loss, I am going though post trauamtic stress after an accident and it has been tougher than I thought.

sorry to hear about that CyberKitten, I hope you feel better soon
Old December 20th, 2004, 06:47 PM

We have a new dog

After our tragic loss with our morkie - getting another dog was a huge ordeal. Thank you all for your advice. We did get another girl - a pure Maltese. Paid $1000 for her - premium but she came from a homebreeder was loved and 11 1/2 weeks old when we got her. So far all goes well - she is getting used to us and we are doing all we can to make her comfortable. Thanks for your help.
Old December 20th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your new little one!!

And meb999, thank you for your thoughtful remark. It is much appreciated. (I am getting better each day!)