Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
<-----nut ball

dogwalkers in brampton?

I apologize if I posted this already, but I'm looking for a dog walker in my area. I have searched and found nothing. We don't have any relatives near by who could do it (at least not for a few years, as my neice will be able to do it in about 3 years) and do not trust our neighbours.

We have been turned down on all our adoption applications because we are gone too long at work (we've been able to get it down to 9 hours max). No one wants to adopt to us because of this (also because we are in apartment, but that's secondary) :sad:

Alternatively, I'm looking for a dog babysitter while I am at work. No doggy day cares in our city either, and couldn't afford one anyway. I don't have a lot of money, but thought maybe someone here might know someone who would like a companion during the day. It would have to be in Downtown Brampton though, as I don't have a car and would need to walk the dog there.

I just want to have things in place so that if I apply for another dog, I have everything in place.
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I may be able to help at lunch. I live downtown Brampton and I have lunch from 11:30 to 12:30 daily. I do not drive, but as long as it is in walking distance from my work, with enough time to make it back, I'd be happy to help. My work's main intersection is Williams Pkwy/McLaughlin. If not, go to the Off-Leash park on Mclaughlin @ Chris Gibson Park and there are always posted signs about Doggy Day Care there. I believe there is a Doggy Day Care on Chruch St. Right beside the Brampton Cemetary. PM me if I can be of any further assistance.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:19 PM
<-----nut ball

Thanks. I didn't know there was a doggy day care in Brampton.

I actually live right beside Chris Gibson (which is where I plan to take my dog daily). I will walk by sometime this week and check the postings.

Where you work to where I am is a little long of a walk, but thanks anyway.

I was hoping to find an actual business that is insured for the dog walking. I don't trust anyone I don't know coming into my home (personal preference).

Ideally, I would love to find someone who lives really close to me who has a dog of their own, who would be willing to watch my dog as well for a small fee in their home.

Once we get a car, we might consider taking our dog to my bf's parents house, as his mom is retired and would love the company. But that's not possible yet. I won't have a car until the spring, but then agian...I may not get a dog until then anyway.
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Thumbs up what type of dog?

Have you tried the Humane society? They have a ton of animals looking for a good home. I also know of a friend in the area who has an 8 yr old Pit-bull Male that he needs to re-home. He is willing to keep the dog as long as he can, and I've agreed to foster it if he runs out of time. Dezmond (the dog) is absolutley beautiful, and if I could, I would take him. But, I have 2 of my own, and my baby brother wants his own dog, which will but us to the city by-law of 3 dogs in our residence. There are so many places that have animals for adoption, that will not be so strict on the rules, not that I blame them. But, if you have a loving home to share and the love for an older pet check out www.petfinder.com or the humane society website. I'll look for some more info and post it tomorrow. Best of luck on your search for a furry friend.
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:07 PM
<-----nut ball

Thanks for the leads, but I've already applied for many dogs from various rescues and spca's around town. So far I have been turned down every time. I really want to help a dog, but no one is giving me (techinically us) a chance.

Part of me doesn't blame them though. We are gone for 10 hours a day and currently we have no one who could come and check in on the dog. At the same time, I know tons of people who leave their dogs alone for longer than that, who don't have a dog walker, and the dogs are fine (my best friend had a poodle for 16 years, and he was left alone 12-14 hours a day every day of the week, never had an accident or any problems and he was fine).

You know how many angry e-mails I got from some rescues about being gone for 10 hours? One even threatened to report me for crulty if I got a dog and left it alone that long as she considered it abuse!

I've even offered to foster for some places, but they turned me down.

It's actually making me quite sad. I know the right dog will come along eventually...

Unfortunatley, I think a pitbull isn't a good first time owner dog. Neither of us have any dog experience, otherwise I would take you up on the offer.
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Talking

I'm very sorry to hear that, and I can totally sympathize with you on your search for a rescue. At times I feel that the rules are too strict, but, when I had to place a littler of puppies, I turned away so many people simply because they were not the ideal home. These rescues are just trying to be 100% sure where they are placing animals, hoping that will be the last time they are placed. I will let you know of any dogs in the area I know of for adoption, and hopefully we can find you someone to love, because it sounds to me like you've got a lot to give.
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:47 PM
<-----nut ball

Thanks Whinnie-Boo.

I know our dog is out there....just waiting to find him/her.