Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 8th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Help! Major dilemma!!!

I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands...this could be long...

I was recently offered a job in a different city (actually my hometown) which I accepted. I start Jan 4 2005. The problem is my fiance, who I live with may not be able to move with me, due to his job. If he doesnt I will be moving in with my parents at least until we can be together. Now the kicker...what do I do with my dog??? I can either take her with me to the farm (mom & dads) she loves the farm loves to play with the other dogs, but I am worried that when the time comes and we have to move to town, she will be so used to being able to run free on the farm that she will hate being "confined" in town with a yard or leash, etc. Plus she will be so used to constant compnay that she will be so lonely during our work hours. I could leave her with Cody (my fiance) and just see her on the weekends, & whenever I get a chance. Will she feel like the person who doesnt see her everyday abandoned her? What would you guys do if you were in my situation. (I would move into my own place in town, but I will still be helping Cody pay the rent while we live apart, because he couldnt afford our place by himself, and I cant afford 2 rent payments)
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Dont Stress

If you really want to take her with you cause you are afraid you will miss her too much then take her with...once u move into ur new place...she will adjust to it and you can take her to the farm or maybe even leave her there for a couple days a week if thats an option....dogs adjust very well to their surrounds..if you want to leave her with your fiance...she wont forget about u or feel like u left her behind...yes she will miss you but once u see her again. she'll be so happy. so whatever u decide it'll be alright...my dog lives with me part time and a friend part time so i see her every two months or so and she loves going where ever i take her...i hope that helps make the decision easier
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that your dog would probably be fine as long as she's with you....with many animals that is all they need. The size of the house,yard or whatever is irrelevant, as long as they get excercise and will adapt quite nicely as long as "mommy" is still there.

Good luck with the new job!!
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM

That does sound like a tough situation. A friend of mine sent his dog to Kelowna where he was moving to with his gf at the time. He sent her up there early so that the dog could get settled and he drove up there to see her whenever he could. Anyways, his dog really started to miss him to the point where she was starving herself until he came to see her. She also got quite sick and lathargic from the seperation. She was 16 at the time though (18 now), so that may have been why she suffered a bit more. Most younger dogs are quite good at adjusting so it really just depends on how you feel about it. Your dog won't care when you move back to the city, just as long as she gets to visit the farm and run a muck!! I think she'd be happy to go whever you go!!
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

You can take her with you.All you have to do is to keep the city in her.What I mean is,knowing she will be on the farm,keep taking her into town where she will still be used to the sounds and not just the quietness of the farm.Stop off in town and take her for walks.I hope this is making sense.LOL..My sister has 4 dogs and lives on a farm.She also had them get used to to going into town.So now they are used to both the quietness and the business of the town.And trust me,she gets the looks when walking 3 Siberians and a Border Collie.LOL.
Old December 9th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the dog will adjust no matter where you are living. Dogs are pretty adaptable as long as you are with them. My parents - who have mega land and lots of space and my dad has a woodlot that he would bring him back to. It was all great fun.

But coming home was fine too.

I don't think you shoud worry too much about it. I am assuming you have parks and other areas where you can bring your dog to run in the city. Plus even if you live in the city, you can visit the country side and find a place the pooch likes!
Old December 9th, 2004, 04:18 PM
owned by Tucker

I'd take her with you, both of my dogs have been lucky to have the run of the country and the training needed for city life. Yes they love being in the country more, so do I, but with jobs in the city ect its impossible. Your dog will be happy where ever you are. When ever you go to see your boyfriend take her with you to the city so she doesn't loose the training needed for life there.
Old December 9th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Take her with you please! She will be fine.

I'm willing to bet she will adjust better than you will...you will worry, she will go about life, happy to be with you, you will worry about her new lifestyle, she will worry about you, worrying about so much...than she will worry about you...not knowing why she does.