Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Closed Thread

Old December 6th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

New forums - suggestions please

Hi Everyone,

We'd like to introduce another few forums within the BB, and we'd like your suggestions please.

Dave and I will evaluate the suggestions and then decide on the best ones to implement.

Please start a new thread for each suggestion.

Thanks as always,

Marko
ADMIN
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

What about a Member to Member forum? People can ask questions or make comments to a specific member in this forum! Should someone have a question specifically for Lucky, or Chico, or Writing4Fun for example, they can be posted within this forum. Just an idea!!
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I think that is a good idea that way it does not tie up a forum
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I think there are quite an adequate number of forums now though having been a rabbit person for so many years, one on rabbits (who get discriminated against imho since people think dogs and cats first)
would be good.

One feature that would extremely helpful would be an faq forum and an archive that lists by subject the questions that appear periodically. I'd offer myself if I had more time to create such a database. We seem to keep reinventing the wheel here and that is just not good and ineffecient. There is some useful and good info that needs to be made availabale that way. (I am, not sure how far I can go back to put together the info but I'd gladly help).

Thanks!
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:38 AM

re member to member forum - Isn't that what PM's are for?
Cyberkitten - good ideas on the FAQ it's something we've wanted to do for a while....if only we didn't need to sleep.

Thanks for those suggestions but what we're more after are categories.

For example, I think we'll probably add a category called R.I.P. or Rainbow bridge for pets that have passed on or for pet owners who are grieving.

Sooo. thinkin' caps on....let the suggestions continue.

Thanks as always!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:29 PM
banned user

I like the member to member thing... PMs would work but it may be something you'd still want to put out there on the board incase someone has something they'd like to add even if it's not the member requested.
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Lightbulb

how about a consumer/pet related forum where people could exchange the good and bad for pets needs/accessories even weed out not-so-great vets, or give mention of the great ones.
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

What about an exotic pet forum, for reptiles, rabbits, fish, hamsters, birds, etc.????
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:39 AM

Animal Welfare Advocates' thread

What about Animal Welfare concerns (not just pets): including news about ongoing investigations, past convictions, a place to publish petitions , talk about the laws, a safe place to publicise suspected cover-ups or bribery with a disclaimer e.g. I suspect maybe, discussions about forming coalitions, how to lobby for change in a law, help in requesting an amendment to the law at all levels of government; philosophy and/or religeous as they relate to animals, and of course, a Sub Forum just for venting or letting of steam.

Emergency type problems where you think there's a good chance feedback and support might be obtained to prevent an act against pets could still be in the general forum.

I don't know of a forum based in Canada, for people who are concerned about animal welfare at this time?

You could try to prevent it from being just a list of "shocking stories" - they're everywhere. Or keep them in a seperate sub forum, unless a possible solution is part of the story.

You could make the theme PROACTIVE. If someone wants to post a petition they should promise to write a snail mail letter and try to get a promise from 2 others (through PMing or whatever) to also send one. That's if there were too many petitions.

Maybe you could have someone who knows their way around law websites to help us find and understand the law, or if there is one or there could be a sticky at the top with links to laws and to websites that list law resource lists.

I like the idea above of pet-friendly landlords and businesses and services too.

Last edited by Derek & Jeter; August 11th, 2005 at 03:14 AM.
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:06 PM

What about a forum for foods???

I know there is the pet recipes one, but what about one for the different kind of foods that are on the market and different diets that people have used, want the use, are against. Aswell as what NOT to feed your pet could be on there.

I just notice that there are many many posts about what foods are good for yours pets..... many there are enough posts to justify it having it's own forum.

And i like the idea about a forum for products (once again, if there are enough posts to justify it's own forum). You know, what chew toys are good for what dog breeds, easy and fun cat toys, make your own ferret run, what hamster cages to avoid.... that kind of thing.

That's my 2 cents (well maybe 3 ).
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM

I like the food forum. It could be a subforum of the Pet Health Forum. Forum.
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Can we get a front page you're taken to before registering, with all the great info LR posted re breeding, and responsibility of pet ownership? Maybe when you do a google search and pets.ca comes up, (that's how I found you) you'd have to go through the front page and read this info in order to get to the forum?

I know another v-bullitin board I belong to has that kind of thing, and I think many come here looking for the wrong thing?
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM
-

I think grooming deserves it own forum. I like the idea about a place for law type subjects.
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:28 PM

In general I think a law forum sounds good, but one of the problems becomes that laws are different in different places. Also, it is dangerous to give legal advice without ALL the details. It is a very quick way of getting in trouble. Also the only people who are suppose to give legal advice is a lawyer. Others can tell you where to look for information on statues and caselaw, and let you know where to find it, but cannot give advice. I have to be very careful not to do that, I can give my opinion and steer someone in the right direction, any more than that and I face serious fines. Not fun. Another issues is that the laws change soooo much, just because your relitive/friend/you were told one thing 6 months ago, dosn't mean that it is still the same laws today.

I like the idea of a law forum, as long as people realize that it is just opinion until/unless it comes from a lawyer who knows about the laws in your area.
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:37 PM
-

We could have one as was mentioned here. It could be done well w/o offering legal advice. I think this is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek & Jeter
What about Animal Welfare concerns (not just pets): including news about ongoing investigations, past convictions, a place to publish petitions , talk about the laws, a safe place to publicise suspected cover-ups or bribery with a disclaimer e.g. I suspect maybe, discussions about forming coalitions, how to lobby for change in a law, help in requesting an amendment to the law at all levels of government; philosophy and/or religeous as they relate to animals, and of course, a Sub Forum just for venting or letting of steam.

Emergency type problems where you think there's a good chance feedback and support might be obtained to prevent an act against pets could still be in the general forum.

I don't know of a forum based in Canada, for people who are concerned about animal welfare at this time?

You could try to prevent it from being just a list of "shocking stories" - they're everywhere. Or keep them in a seperate sub forum, unless a possible solution is part of the story.

You could make the theme PROACTIVE. If someone wants to post a petition they should promise to write a snail mail letter and try to get a promise from 2 others (through PMing or whatever) to also send one. That's if there were too many petitions.

Maybe you could have someone who knows their way around law websites to help us find and understand the law, or if there is one or there could be a sticky at the top with links to laws and to websites that list law resource lists.

I like the idea above of pet-friendly landlords and businesses and services too.
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I like Derek and Jeters idea as well! I think it might take quite a bit of research to find out what we could and couldnt say though. Is there a lawyer in the house LOL?
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:59 PM
-

I don't see it being any different than what has already been posted on the subject, it will just have a home.
Old August 13th, 2005, 06:54 AM

From a legal point of view..... the way it is now (posted here and there), Pets.ca is not supporting the giving of uneducated legal advice. If it had its own forum and someone did something they shouldn't have because they misunderstood the advice/opinion they were given here, you may find that pets.ca would be included on the defendants list. The general rule is.... sue everyone and sort it out later. Not to say that pets.ca would be found negligent, but the problem with suing people is that if the judge were to decide that person 'X' was negligent for 25% and you haven't included them, you are out of luck.

So if you have a forum, you would need a disclaimer. Take some time on it and make sure that it covers everything.

This is my OPINION and does not refer to the laws/statues of all Provinces/States/Countries.

I'm not trying to knock the idea. I am just trying to make sure that it is done in a responsible manner. I will talk to a lawyer next week and let you know what she has to say about the legalities of it all.
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:08 AM

geeeee, someone is going to get sick of me.......

I was outside with Ocean and I thought.... wow it would be nice if I could find someone in my area that Ocean could go and play with. I come back in and there is a post of someone else looking for the same thing.

So I thought, what about a forum for play dates??
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

What about a forum for action alerts. I am referring to specif meetings or issues relating to animal advocacy in different parts of North America where people who post here live. I do not simply mean petitions (I am not much of a believer in them frankly - my work in politics assures me they get nowhere, politicians pay attention to individually written letters and lobby groups and protesters, NOT form letters and 100 names on a petition) but meetings, concerns, questions about what one can or should ethically do in a given situation, requests for advice, etc.

Last edited by CyberKitten; August 15th, 2005 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Typos of course (No such word as looby, lol)
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:00 PM

I think her122 and CK both have wonderful ideas!

A "Pets Playground" and "Town Hall Meetings (by City_State/Prov)" would be both super ideas!

Whatcha think Marko?

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Hey Marko, what about a forum where people can give their ideas for money raising for the rescues. I know, when I used to volunteer with diff orginizations, I had plenty of funding ideas, and would love to share...
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:57 PM

I think fund raising ideas can already be placed in the Foster/Rescue forum.
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

That is a good idea too Rottielover. I do alot of workshops on operating non profit Boards - you can even obtain an eMBA on running nonprofits pretty much for free (You prob have to pay for the books) online and there is a wealth of info. There is so much that any non profit- whether it's a hospital, daycare center, association for disabled ppl, environmental lobby group, etc - needs to know and fundraising is a big part of it. A group I am involved with (NOT the hospital but I borrowed some of their ideas from ppl well skilled in this field) is starting a Foundation simply for fundraising. Just the taxation info can be daunting - how to offer ppl choices like planned giving, endowments and so on. I am actually booked to take a course on endowments one weekend in Sept at Harvard Buisness School - just bec with one org I am in, every time I attended a mtg, I was borrowing my bf's Intermediate Cost Accounting text book, lol But there is soooo much one can do in fundraising - we live in a world where bake sales don't cut it anymore, sadly!

I still have my poster from Another Mother for Peace (old US group) that shows children on some playground equipment, and it reads "It'll be a great day when the Army has to hold a bake sale and the day care centers have all the money they need." on my office wall. I am too old to have been involved with them but my grandother was a founding member of the Voice of Women - peace org in Canada and I recall attending mtgs as a child- about nuclear disarmanet and so forth.

Anyway - sorry to go offtrack for a bit. My point is anyone involved in rescue or any non profit has to be skilled in ways if "Development" as our univ calls it these days. The tax laws alone change every year and just IDing corporate groups that might donate to save themelsves tax money and do some good - some match employee contributions. It is a whole area in and of itsefl!!
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I love this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
What about a forum for action alerts. I am referring to specif meetings or issues relating to animal advocacy in different parts of North America where people who post here live. I do not simply mean petitions (I am not much of a believer in them frankly - my work in politics assures me they get nowhere, politicians pay attention to individually written letters and lobby groups and protesters, NOT form letters and 100 names on a petition) but meetings, concerns, questions about what one can or should ethically do in a given situation, requests for advice, etc.
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by her122
geeeee, someone is going to get sick of me.......

I was outside with Ocean and I thought.... wow it would be nice if I could find someone in my area that Ocean could go and play with. I come back in and there is a post of someone else looking for the same thing.

So I thought, what about a forum for play dates??
I think this is an excellent idea! We have a pit bull co-op thread, but lately Ive been thinking that it would be nice just to have play dates with all different kind of dogs as well, I had been thinking of trying to start something in my neighborhood that might bring together people with yards that wouldnt mind having a neighbour without a yard come over and play with their dog. I was thinking of calling Animal House Calls and seeing if they could help out, or maybe just starting at the vets office. But a forum on here could be really good!
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:47 PM

I have been thinking about starting one here. There is a large pet population here. I have seen a few Pit's around, and would like to find a place to get together, socialize and exercise Sprint.
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I really think that the only way we can survive this thing is for all pet owners and pit owners to form a really strong network, that way the pets can overcome there obstacles, lack of socialisation etc. and the pets parents can get the emotional support and friendship that they will need. A forum for people to hook up pittie owners or non-pittie owners is a good idea and that way people who do not post might get the opportunitie to join up as well.
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Each new suggestion should get its own thread

Dear members,

We appreciate your suggestions!

Please start a new thread (even if it was already mentioned in this thread)
for each suggestion in this sub-forum, since it gets confusiing to have several ideas in one (this) thread.

This was our error as we should have mentioned it in post 1 and closed this thread. So this thread will be closed now to make some of these great ideas easier to follow in their own threads.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks as always,

Marko
Admin
Closed Thread