Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:54 PM

Puppy go Potty

Hi there,
Saturday morning we pick up our little yorkie/bichon mixed pup. He is 8 weeks old. We live in a condo on the 14th floor and have been recommended to use this puppy go potty.
I was wondering if anyone has used it and if so if they could let us know what its like and if you recommend it or not?

Thanks so much!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
The Rat Terrier

Smile

My puppy is 11 weeks old and is my first dog so I am very new to this. Anyways, we decided before we got Batman that we wanted him to have a spot on our balcony to do his business... so we didn't have to trek down from the 12th floor in the middle of the night. We have a little box type of thing set up out there. It works great at night, but during the day he was only using it if we caught him about to do his business. All other times if we took him out to try he would jump right out and refuse to go (only to go inside a few minutes later. Two days ago I threw a puppy pad down on top of the litter and we haven't had any issues with him refusing to go (unless he really doesn't have to). This is really working well for us. He also goes outside as well. Eventually we would like to get rid of the balcony litter box, but if that doesn't work out then we will keep it. It is working well for us, and since our guy won't get bigger than a JRT I don't see anything wrong with him using it.

I do however think it would be important to make sure you pup is comfortable going not JUST in his litter box. My friend who is a vet has told me stories of dogs getting horribly constipated because they are only comfortable going say in their backyard, so if they go on a trip they end up holding it in. Poor dogs...

Anyways that is just my 2 cents and as I said I am very new to this.

The best housebreaking advice has been to watch Batman like a hawk. Don't let accidents happen. Always try to catch them before they start. That seems to be the key to housebreaking. As well keeping a log of your dogs day to day activities and bathroom habits can help you predict when and how often your guy needs to go.

Have fun with your new pup!! :love:
Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont' know what a "Puppy go potty" is, but this tiny puppy will definitely have to eliminate indoors if you aren't going to be home all day. An x-pen with space to sleep, eat and eliminate is a good idea.

The only problem with a male dog is that he will probably lift his leg when he's older which will make peeing in the house more difficult. Maybe there are mini fire hydrants that can be used indoors in a doggy litter box. I don't know.

Puppies like this one, from a puppy mill, pet store or backyard breeder, should be thoroughly checked at the vet right away for genetic defects and not taken outside until he's finished his first round of puppy vaccinations.