Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 29th, 2008, 03:51 AM

Drinking Excessive Water after Cephalexin

My German Shepherd... Liberty... (between 9 and 10 years old?) was given antibiotics by the vet for a hot spot area that she was licking until it was red. I stopped the antibiotic after research on the internet popped up a few people that had undesirable results from this antibiotic.

I started researching and questioning the antibiotic after Liberty vomited a few times and was drinking a lot of water along with someone alerting me that it was ridiculous over-doing medication as the hot spot/red area disappeared after a day or two. Her vomiting stopped and she was no longer lethargic just a day after i stopped the antibiotics. However, she is still drinking and peeing a lot.

She seems normal but she is drinking LOTS. We have three areas where there are clean fresh water bowls and it seems like we have to refill more than one area at least twice a day. She also has been licking the bowl dry which is unusual.

My fear is taking her back to the doctor (as they all seem so happy to over medicate).

Has anyone else had problems with the antibiotic Cephalexin?

Any feedback is welcome! Thank you.
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've not seen that problem with cephalexin, but regardless of the cause of the increased water intake, Liberty does need to see a vet. If you don't like the one she regularly sees, ask around for recommendations for a new one.

Increased water intake/urination can be something as simple as a UTI or as insidious as the onset of diabetes or kidney problems. Liberty is getting to the time in life where age-related problems begin to crop up. At the very least, you should have a geriatric blood panel work-up done.

I hope it's nothing serious, ziggyzaz! for a quick recovery for Liberty!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."