Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old December 8th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

DM,thank's for staying with this horrible case for us,I have a feeling no matter how long they prospone the trial,people will not forget about Daisy Duke any time soon.
Sadly she will become the Poster-Dog for the cruelty humans are capable of.
I've been following the progress or lack thereof of a new Animal-Cruelty law for years and years,after one horrific cruelty case after the other,with no results..
Hopefully Daisy Dukes suffering will not be forgotten
Would you PM me the addy for the bracelets,please..
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Pet Guardian

OG: While PETA supports the Guardianship campaign, it was not their idea or concept. It was, and is, the baby of the In Defense of Animals organization.

Quote:
The Guardian Campaign was created in 1999 as a nationwide platform to reflect growing public support for a redefined public standard of relating to animals.
They do similar work, but IDA isn't as "crazy" or fanatic about what they do as PETA is. While I agree with most of the things that PETA does, I don't agree with *how* they do things, and I can't support them. PETA wants to see the rights of animals changed the way the rights of slaves changed, and the way the rights of women changed. They might as well come out with it and say that they want to see animals treated as persons! Well, frankly, I don't want my dog to vote, I just want him to be protected by law, so that if someone hurts him, they will be punished! I could not find anywhere on the PETA website when they got on board with the Guardianship campaign, and actually, I'm not sure they even understand it or are on board with it.

I 100% support the Guardianship campaign, though I don't 100% support the rest of the work that IDA does. For one, I'm not about to become a vegetarian, which is one of the first things IDA recommends people do to make a difference to animals.
More information on IDA can be found here: http://www.idausa.org/

Anyhow.... the petitions and letters are important, and I do support Bill C-373. I don't, however, think that the Federal goverment is going to get it done. What did they do this week? Discussed, AGAIN, the issue of gay marriages! I don't understand why this is getting priority, when the people who kill animals for fun are allowed to walk the streets... the ones who kill animals are the ones who eventually are going to start killing or hurting people. And I don't think a gay person, denied the right to marry their partner, is going to go on a killing spree over it. If they do, it's pretty likely that in their past, they hurt animals! I can't remember a single murder trial in the news where the person said that they did it because they couldn't marry their same-sex partner. I just can't understand why politicians keep ignoring the facts about people who abuse animals and their potential harm to humans in the future.
The federal government isn't going to get it done... which is why I'm fighting locally, first with the Guardianship campaign, then I'm going to work on local bylaws, then I'm going to work on Provincial laws. Then, if there's nothing federal, then I'll fight for federal changes.

I will update again after Monday's court date.

Melissa

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet."
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Pet Guardian

Dec 11 Update

I went to the Court house today. Not many people there... seems most people are forgetting about it already.

Turns out that I was wrong about last Thursday... drove all the way out there, saw the sign on the door that said the court was only open Monday, Wednesday & 1st, 2nd & 3rd Fridays, and I went home. Turns out there *was* a court date for the younger accused, though he didn't show up. He is now 18 (I guess he was 2 weeks away from his birthday when Daisy Duke died), so there's a small possibility he might be upgraded to "adult" status. He is back in court Jan 18 (also a Thursday) to enter his plea.

I will post articles tomorrow, as there was a lot of media there today. The one thing that the lawyer said which has me totally weirded out is that the 2 boys have different lawyers, and it sounds as if they will each be witnesses in each other's case. He said if the younger boy wasn't a crown witness, he'd be a defense witness--the story they're sharing is that it was the younger boy who did most of the horrific things to the dog. I have no idea how this will work; each boy will say the other did it to get themselves off, so unless the trials are together, I have no idea how it'll make any sense.

Daniel's lawyer entered a plea of "not-guilty" to all charges (including obstructing an officer or whatever that was) and his trial will start May 23, 2007. Why do they have to drag things out so much??? Urgh. Oh well... they've booked the court house for the full day so we'll see how much of it they get through. I hope it's not too disturbing.

Will repost tomorrow with updated articles.

Melissa

Old December 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM

MAY???!!! That's ridiculous!

Thanks for all of your dedication, and keeping us posted...as sad as it is. :sad: At least it's warmer for you and little Cube!!
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Melissa,there was a side-bar article in the Toronto Star this morning.
It only stated two men have been charge and described the horror.
I am not surprised at the courtdate in May,the same happened in Kensington the cat,case.
I followed it for months only to break down in disbelief at the non-verdicts
I am hoping people will not forget
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Pet Guardian

Article Update

Quote:
Protester pays heavy price
'Mad moment of passion' costs man shot at RCMP

Gwendolyn Richards, Calgary Herald
Published: Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A man's dream of joining the RCMP has been dashed in a "stupid, mad moment of passion" as he now faces a charge of mischief after blocking a van carrying a teen accused of torturing his family's dog.

Denny Layne Stabenow, known locally as Drew Marceton, was among a group of people protesting outside Didsbury provincial court and blocking a van Nov. 6 after an appearance by Daniel Charles Haskett, 19, who faces animal cruelty charges.

After an appearance at the same court Monday, Stabenow said he also kicked the van as it drove away.

"I'm not a hoodlum; I'm not a troublemaker," he said. "Yes, my emotions did get ahead of me. I did act out. I'm ashamed of it."

But the 34-year-old part-time hairstylist, student and security guard is questioning why he was charged when photos show it was a group of people impeding the van.

"I have a hard time understanding why I was the only one arrested," he said.

Earlier in the day, Haskett, through his lawyer, Mark Takada, pleaded not guilty to various animal cruelty charges -- including injuring or endangering an animal and causing unnecessary suffering.

Daisy Duke, a border collie-Lab, was euthanized on the street after she was found with horrific injuries on Oct. 8.

Her legs were bound with duct tape, there was a tow rope around her neck and her head was wrapped in a bag.

It's believed the dog had been beaten and possibly dragged behind a vehicle.

Outside the courtroom, Takada said Haskett is disappointed the matter is going to trial.

"He's perplexed about the public reaction to the case," he added.

Takada was almost certain Haskett would testify and that his co-accused may be called by either the Crown or the defence. Haskett's case will be back in court on May 23.

His co-accused, who can't be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is expected back in court on Jan. 18.

While Stabenow's matter was put over until Dec. 20, he said he has already been penalized for what he did.

He learned last week in a letter from the national police force that he had been dismissed from the RCMP recruitment process. Stabenow said he later learned it was because of the mischief charge.

Stabenow had made it through two of the seven RCMP recruitment stages.

"Any punishment the court could hand down today could not make me feel any worse than I do," he said.

He added the outcome of the court case could also prevent him from volunteering and doing security for the David Thompson Health Region.

Friends of Stabenow are collecting funds to help pay for his defence.
(Almost the same article below)
Quote:
Tue, December 12, 2006
Man's dream lost in protest
UPDATED: 2006-12-12 01:50:26 MST

RCMP hopeful dropped by recruiters after mischief charge at animal abuse case

By SARAH KENNEDY, CALGARY SUN

DIDSBURY -- Joining an animal-rights protest may have cost a Didsbury man his dream of becoming an RCMP officer after he was charged with mischief.

In Didsbury provincial court yesterday, Denny Stabenow said he was informed by the RCMP last Thursday that he had been dismissed from the recruiting process.

"No punishment the court could give me could feel worse," he said.

"This is the worst thing that could happen to me.

"It's been a life-long goal."

Stabenow was charged with public mischief in early November for allegedly kicking the van ferrying Daniel Charles Haskett, 19, who is charged with torturing a dog.

He said the RCMP has a policy that recruit hopefuls can't go through the process while charges are before the court.

He said he applied to work for the Mounties in January.

Stabenow is scheduled to return to court Dec. 20 to answer to his charges.

Meanwhile, Haskett's defence counsel Mark Takada was also in court yesterday and entered a not-guilty plea for his client, who hasn't been back in court since he was met with a horde of angry protesters on his first appearance in November.

Haskett and a 17-year-old male, who can't be named, were charged in October after a collie/lab cross dog was discovered bound, with a bag over her head and bleeding on a Didsbury road.

The dog had numerous broken bones and was in such bad condition, a veterinarian was forced to euthanize her at the scene.

A trail of blood led RCMP officers to an address where the arrests were made.

A trial for Haskett will begin May 23, 2007.
Quote:
Didsbury dog case continues

calgary.ctv.ca

POSTED AT 4:43 PM Monday, December 11
Daniel Charles Haskett was to make his third court appearance in Didsbury for animal cruelty charges on Monday, but his lawyer appeared on his behalf.

Back in October a dog was beaten, tied up and dragged behind a truck in the small town.

The dog, named Daisy Duke, was dragged about 100 metres, and had to be put down because of its injuries.

Police charged two local teens.

The case has drawn attention from not only southern Alberta, but also all across Canada.

At Haskett's first court appearance on November 6th, a number of animal rights protesters mobbed the van as he tried to drive away.

Haskettís lawyer says his client was hoping the crown prosecutor wouldn't take the case to trial, but it's been scheduled for May 23rd.

A petition started by a Didsbury woman for stricter penalties for animal abusers now has over 45 thousand signatures of people from across Canada.
Quote:
Almost 42,000 Canadians Signed "Daisy Duke" Petition!

As of December 7, 2006, a total of 41,806 signatures have been collected for the "Daisy Duke" Animal Cruelty Petition, which calls for a return of a bill similar to C-50 to update outdated animal cruelty laws.

Signatures are still being collected, and as long as the petitions are mailed in to Tamara the by the first week of January, they will be counted.
That's all I can find for today. The younger boy is back in court Jan 18, possibly to enter his plea. I don't know how it's going to work, as the lawyer for Haskett said that if the crown doesn't call him (younger) as a witness, he will be a witness for the defense. I know what they're going to go with; that the younger boy did most (or all) of the bad things to the dog. I'm assuming he'll plead not-guilty, as did Haskett, so why he'd sit as a witness and say "Haskett didn't hurt the dog, it was all me".... how does that make any sense? I'm hoping that they run the two trials together, so that it'll just be easier to understand. But honestly, the 2 have different defense lawyers, so they're each going to be saying that the other one did it, so I have no idea how it's going to go.

I, too, hope that people don't forget, but based on the turnout at the court house yesterday (which was very few people), I'm thinking that people have either already forgotten, or just don't care anymore--possibly because it's Christmas? My own mother thinks I'm "beating a dead dog" by continuing to go up there. She said "you can't change anything, you're just wasting your time and beating a dead... dog." Right now, I hate my mother. She doesn't support me in this, but at least she could have said "drive safe" or whatever, she didn't have to be such a horrible person about it!

Despite my mom being a witch, I'm going to stick this one through, and I will be back Jan 18 for the younger one (especially since I missed the first date!), and I will go back for every single trial date, unless I have urgent things, like appointments that I can't reschedule or family emergencies. Hopefully once trial starts, it won't take too long.

Well.... I guess that's about all I have for today. Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas & New Years, and please, if you can spare any time &/or money, please give to your local animal shelter, rescue or anything that helps animals.

Merry Christmas Daisy Duke, and may the holidays bring you lots of bones, chewies, soft warm blankets and because you truly deserve it, the hugs, thoughts and best wishes from those who knew you and those who didn't but who miss you now.

Melissa

Old December 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Melissa,your last few lines made me cry,cry for poor Daisy-Duke,cry because there was nobody there to save her from these demons,cry for her pain and hoping she's all healed and happy at the bridge
Thank's!
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Totally Outrageous!!

Those kids are really BAD!
I know i'm only ten but when i searched the net and found this,i was close to sheding tears!:sad:
Those kids should really be punished.
I sent this to my friend.

Me:Hey,check this out.Poor dog!
Friend:OMG! This is craazy!Poor thing!
Me:Those kids are impossible.

I did'nt hear anything from my friend after that though..

We should really help dogs (and cats! ) to prevent such tortures ever again.

Those kids should be hung.

Beloved dog,I pray that you'll go to heaven..
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Disappointed in the Charges against a protestor

I am highly disappointed that a protestor has been charged, after losing it over the Daniel Haskett abuse of Daisy Duke. I am told that the SPCA has been called to the Haskett home several time by neighbors, because of neglect of Diesel and Daisy. I had a neighbour who had a Rottweiller that his son tied up in the back yard, never fed her and never walked her. The SPCA were called several times before they finally showed up. They did nothing except to tell the concerned neighbours DO NOT FEED THIS DOG. We were all shocked as the dog was starving to death, until we fed her. I absolutely will not donate a penny to the SPCA as I believe they are animal abusers themselves. The protestor will probably get a harsher sentence than the criminal themselves which show how sad our judicial system has become.
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

AnneM.unfortunately it's not against the law to chain a dog outside,at least not in Ontario.
However the animals has to have shelter and of course food and water.
In the case of this Rottweiler,if he is starving and neglected,the SPCA should definetly have stepped in and helped the poor dog.
Unlike in some US states,our SPCA cannot just go on to someones property and remove a dog,even with visible signs of neglect,without giving the owners a warning.
The laws are long overdue to change,regarding animal-cruelty...but I am sure,once again the new bill will be put away and forgotten,until the next Daisy-Duke horrorstory.
As for punishing these,to me,evil young men,it wont amount to anything,I've seen it before,time and time again.
There will be no justice for poor Daisy-Dukes suffering:sad:
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:20 AM

Time For Action

The sadistic and brutal killing of Daisy Duke by 2 sick and twisted freaks has, once again, brought the issue of animal cruelty to the attention of the general public. It is unfortunate that it takes a case such as this to make people realize the depravity and cruelty that animals continue to suffer. The fact that the maximum amount of time that Charles Haskett could be sentenced to is six months clearly shows that the government and the courts continue to equate the brutal killing of an animal with damaging someone's property. As long as animal cruelty laws remain in the property crimes section of the Criminal Code individuals such as Charles Haskett will continue to recieve minimal or no jail time for brutal offences. It is indicitive of the skewed priorities of the justice system that an individual who tortures and kills an animal faces less serious charges than the person who kicked the van Haskett was riding in.

The fact that the police elected to lay a charge against an individual for kicking the van Haskett was in and then dismissing the same individual from the selection process for the RCMP even before a trial was held clearly shows that the police put a higher priority on potential property damage than they do on an animal. The police did not have to lay a charge against the individual who kicked the van but they chose to lay one in spite of the minor nature of the actions of the individual.

Assuming that the e-mail which has been circulating on the Internet is actually from Charles Haskett it is clear that he has no remorse and sees absolutely nothing wrong with what he did. It is equally clear that he fears the reactions of the public and the possibility of spending time in jail which are the same fears that all animal abusers fear. While there is a place for petitions and polite protest there is also a place for more aggresive tactics such as those used by a number of people at Haskett's court appearance. While the police will be quick to label the surrounding and kicking of the van as "violence" the reality is that it got a very clear message to Haskett and while aggresive it was not violent. Civil disobedience and direct action are legitimate and effective tools in the fight for animal rights or even just for animal welfare.

As the founding member of The Animal Defense League-Edmonton Chapter I believe that there is a place for civil diobedience and direct action alongside the more traditional and less confrontational tactics used by many activists. There is, without question, a higher risk in using unconventional tactics as the police and governments automatically label any challenge as "violence". Dr. Jerry Vlasak, the founder of the first Animal Defense League chapter in Los Angeles, has been labelled as everything you can think of including a "terrorist" in spite of the fact that he has never hurt or injured anyone and is, in fact, a dedicated trauma surgeon! I invite everyone to visit our website ***** for further information on the "radical" side of the animal rights movement.

As for Charles Haskett there is no need for anyone to attack him since he will more than likely be given at least some time in jail where the other inmates will almost certainly knock his arrogant attitude out of him while the guards simply look the other way.

Last edited by Blathach; January 2nd, 2007 at 04:53 AM. Reason: No Self Promotion
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:07 AM
Queen

I just wanted to thank you dogmelissa and everyone working to change the laws that are neglecting animals right to a peaceful existance in their short time on this earth. It's difficult for me to keep up with the details of this horrific story, every time I look at a few lines I well up with tears.:sad: I'm sorry to hear your mum doesn't support you in all the good you are doing, I think she should be proud. All the best to you in this new year.
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Pet Guardian

Recent Updates

I failed to post in January when the younger boy was supposed to appear in court for his plea entering. What happened that day is that his lawyer pushed it off, again. The judge said something to the effect of "this has gone on long enough" and said that he must enter his plea on February 28. Obviously, this is the 26th, so I will update on what his plea was on Wednesday.

The thing that bothers me the most about this is how quickly people have forgotten. The first court date, there was a *huge* group of people, many of them out from the "Voice for Animals" group in Edmonton. Many others were out from the town (friends, acquantances, neighbours, etc). At the January date for the younger boy, there was myself, one lady who has been to every court date, one person from the Calgary Media, and a radio DJ from Olds.

The older boy's trial starts May 23. I wonder how many people will be there for that?

Updates from the news:
http://tinyurl.com/2sz3lx
Quote:
Animal rights crusade taken to Ottawa

Photo: Tamara Chaney of Didsbury, with her German Shepard Lee, collected 111,000 names on a petition seeking tougher animal cruelty laws.
Photograph by : Ted Rhodes/Calgary Herald

Emma Poole, Calgary Herald
Published: Monday, February 19, 2007

Tamara Chaney of Didsbury will find out today how much her efforts to protect the lives of animals have paid off.

Chaney and her "teammates" have gathered more than 111,000 signatures on a petition calling for much tougher penalties for animal abuse.

Today, Wild Rose Conservative MP Myron Thompson will present the pages of signatures to the House of Commons.

"It's pretty surreal. It blows my mind, really," Chaney said in an interview Sunday. "It was a very insane four months of my life."

The petition was created following the torture and near killing of a border collie-Lab named Daisy Duke, who had to be euthanized Oct. 8.

The dog was found in the middle of a Didsbury street with horrific injuries.

It's alleged she had been beaten and possibly dragged behind a vehicle.

The dog's legs were bound with duct tape, and there was a tow rope around its neck. Its head was wrapped in a bag.

Daniel Charles Haskett, 19, whose family owned the dog, and his then 17-year-old friend, are facing a number of animal cruelty charges, including injuring or endangering an animal and causing unnecessary suffering. The younger teen can't be named due to his age at the time of the incident.

In November, Haskett's lawyer told the Herald it was panic, not deliberate cruelty, that led the teens to inflict near-fatal injuries on the pet.

Mark Takada said the pair were trying to put the dog out of its misery after one of them accidentally ran over it.

The petition, which supports Bill C-373, was circulated across Canada through veterinary offices and other pet-friendly organizations. The signed pages were then sent back to Chaney in Didsbury where they were collected, counted and handed over to Thompson.

Bill C-373 would introduce a new offence of "killing an animal brutally or viciously, whether or not it dies immediately."

Liberal MP Mark Holland tabled the bill in the Commons in October of last year. It calls for a maximum penalty of five years in prison and unlimited fines for indictable offences, or 18 months in jail and fines of up to $5,000 for summary convictions. The penalties would apply to the offender no matter if he or she owned the animal or not.

Currently, an animal cruelty charge for an adult offender carries a maximum penalty of a $2,000 fine or six months in jail, or both.

The petition push by Chaney and dozens of others after Daisey Duke's death originally sought about 10,000 signatures, but national interest in the case drew the response from more than 111,000 people.

Paula James of Medicine Hat is one of the supporters.

"We've done what we could," said James. "Now it's up to the politicians."

Chaney, who owns a dog grooming business in Didsbury, is hoping MPs consider adopting Bill C-373 and not Bill S-213 -- an amendment to current animal cruelty laws -- that critics say lacks teeth.

Bill S-213, introduced by Senator John Bryden in April 2006, had its first reading in the Commons in December.

"My biggest fear is that they'll pick the other bill," said Chaney, adding she'll continue to fight for stronger animal rights. "I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'll keep writing letters and on and on and on."

Thompson is expected to introduce the petition to the Commons around 1 p.m. MT.

The Herald was unable to reach Thompson on Sunday.

Haskett goes to trial on the charges May 23.
http://tinyurl.com/2tcfb3
Quote:
Animal petition delivered
Rights advocate calls journey 'unbelievable'

Emma Poole, Calgary Herald
Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It took four months to collect more than 111,000 signatures on an animal rights petition, and less than one minute for an Alberta politician to introduce the appeal to the House of Commons.

But for Didsbury resident Tamara Chaney -- who spearheaded the petition last October following a high-profile animal abuse case in her town -- the mere mention of it Monday in Ottawa was well worth the struggle.

"It was unbelievable that it was unfolding before my eyes. It really made it to the House of Commons," Chaney said Monday after watching Tory MP Myron Thompson present the petition to his colleagues. "I was kind of in shock. Oh my gosh, it was, wow."

Thompson agreed to take the petition to Ottawa following the case of Daisy Duke, a border collie-Lab allegedly tortured and left for dead in the middle of a Didsbury street.

It's alleged the family pet had been beaten and possibly dragged behind a vehicle.

The female dog's legs were bound with duct tape, and there was a tow rope around its neck. Its head was wrapped in a bag.

The petition, which supports Bill C-373, was circulated across Canada through veterinary offices and other pet-friendly organizations.

The signed pages were then sent back to Chaney in Didsbury, where they were collected, counted and handed over to Thompson.

During a brief speech to the House of Commons Monday, Thompson referred to the proposal as the "Daisy Duke Bill," in memory of a pup killed in my riding." Even before he was finished introducing the petition, other MPs had begun applauding.

The petition of 111,896 signatures has been sent to the Justice Department and will return to the House next Monday.

Thompson said it's imperative for the federal government to amend current animal cruelty laws. "We want to have a Bill that goes after the people who purposely . . . go after animals," Thompson said in an interview Monday.

The key, he added, is to find a balance between protecting animals while allowing farmers and livestock owners to continue being productive.

"How do you come up with a bill that balances what some people want to do with a pet . . . and protect those who have been doing things for centuries? You've gotta search the middle ground."

Bill C-373 would introduce a new offence of "killing an animal brutally or viciously, whether or not it dies immediately," said Thompson.

Liberal MP Mark Holland tabled the bill in the Commons in October of last year. It calls for a maximum penalty of five years in prison and unlimited fines for indictable offences, or 18 months in jail and fines of up to $5,000 for summary convictions. The penalties would apply to the offender whether or not he or she owned the animal.

Currently, an animal cruelty charge for an adult offender carries a maximum penalty of a $2,000 fine or six months in jail, or both.

"I don't care what the bill is titled, you do something with an animal, like what is being alleged to have happened in my district, and you need to have the book thrown at you," Thompson said.

"We will not tolerate the treatment of animals in that nature. I want cruelty to animals stopped."

Daniel Charles Haskett, 19, whose family owned Daisy Duke, and his then 17-year-old friend, are facing a number of animal cruelty charges, including injuring or endangering an animal and causing unnecessary suffering.

Haskett's lawyer plans to argue the pair were trying to put the dog out of its misery after one of them accidentally ran over it.
I still think it's amusing how Emma Poole (the journalist assigned to this case) hasn't been to the courthouse since November. I wonder if she'll show up in May.

As soon as I have an update on the House discussion today, I'll post it. And will post an update on what dude pleads on Wednesday (though I'm sure we can guess what it'll be, right?).

- Melissa

Old February 26th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Melissa,believe me,I have not forgotten about Daisy Duke and her abusers,I've watched every day for an update and thank you for posting.
I never forget such a horror-story and if I lived anywhere near there I would be right beside you in court.
Daisy-Duke needs us to remember the suffering she went through at the hands of these two creatures,but I am afraid,just like with Kensington the cat in Toronto(who was brutally tortured to death)these kids will get off.:sad:
Bill C373 has to pass,it's way passed time to change a 100yr old law,but it's not something that will fill the governments coffers with money,it's just about tortured lives of animals,so,do they really care???

Thank you Melissa,I really appreciate you not giving up on poor Daisy Duke
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Animal Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
That is so sick :sad: I would looove to drag THEM behind my car
You drag them Frenchy and I"ll drive behind you and run the #@$! over! Do the job properly ay!

PPL like that should be made to endure the same torture, see how they like it!

It makes me sick and tearful that such beautiful creatures are hurt like that

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Compromised account

How about we drag them behind our cars..to the OPPOSITE directions!
It is things like these, about rapists, child molestors, murderers, animal abusers and the rest of the low-lifes that make me wish there was "An eye for an eye" law again ...you take a life, you lose yours, you torture someone be it a dog or a human - and you get tortured in return...I betcha there would be MUCH less of these things going around, and these bored-out-of-their-minds kids, that find their horrific ways to entertain themselves would be punished and punished hard...I betcha they wouldnt REOFFEND then..
Daisy Duke, see you at the bridge...
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Thank you Melissa,I really appreciate you not giving up on poor Daisy Duke
That goes for me too please keep us posted.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Bill C373 has to pass,it's way passed time to change a 100yr old law,but it's not something that will fill the governments coffers with money,it's just about tortured lives of animals,so,do they really care???
Chico & Frenchy,
Thanks for remembering.

Regarding the status of the bills, S-213 & C-373; this is an extremely dry read, but quite informative. This is the official transcript of the House of Commons discussions on Monday, Febraury 26, 2007.
http://tinyurl.com/2ahqnq

My personal beliefs are that it would be nice to have some federal legislation for the protection of animals, but I find it really hard to have any faith that it'll actually happen. While I'd like them to just protect animals, I want them to understand that by protecting animals, they will be protecting people. The federal government repeatedly has failed to take any notice of the fact that every single serial killer in the 20th century abused animals at one point in their life. Until they realize that by protecting animals, they are ultimately protecting people, no law will ever pass through the federal system, IMO. I would like to support these bills, and I do, but I don't have faith that they will ever become law. It's sad, but that's how I see it. That is why I'm trying to get the Guardian campaign going. I'd love to see laws like they have in New York & Seattle, but I don't even have a clue where to begin with that fight, so I'll start with the Guardianship. I need to get back into that fight, I've been distracted from it for a bit too long now. Dog park, here I come!

Regarding the Tamara Chaney petition, here is the transcript of it being presented to the house (this link should jump to it in the middle of the very long document): http://tinyurl.com/2rjd83

Update on today: Youth was, of course, not present. I'm confused at this time whether the guy who spoke to the judge (again) is the defense lawyer or what his role actually is, but he said something to the extent of "I'm waiting for disclosure from the Crown" and the plea date has again been moved off, this time to March 21. The wonderful woman who has been as dedicated as myself in following this case will be on vacation that week, so I'll be on my own.

So I guess there's not much to do until then, except watch the news for updates on the petition in the House, and wait and hope that justice will happen. And work on the Guardianship campaign.

Thanks for keeping up on this guys, and again, if you want any information on the Guardianship campaign, don't hesitate to ask.

*hugs* to everyone and their furry, feathered or scaly friends.
And to Daisy Duke & Kensington; I hope you're having fun playing together up there beyond the Rainbow bridge. We send you both (and all others) all our love. We know that you know that we're fighting in your honor.

Melissa

Old February 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM
-

They sure have a way to drag those things (trials)
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quins-mum
PPL like that should be made to endure the same torture, see how they like it!
Yup, that was my prediction a few months ago. Some hunter or farmer is going to find that kid dead in a field with a rope around his neck and duct tape around his hands and feet. I can't believe the audacity of people.

Dogmelissa, please don't think we've forgotten. I remind my coworkers every day about the cruel and horrible way people treat animals. I have become somewhat of an unofficial advocate for animal rights at my building, trying to educate pet guardians about how to best care for their pets. It's a challenge, but I feel like if I get through to one person, I've accomplished something.

I am planning to take leave from work when that wretched waste of oxygen goes to court so I can be there and look at the dirt bag that would dare harm a defenseless animal that showed him nothing but love and devotion. It makes me sick to even think about it, but I feel like I have to do something, if only for my piece of mind......
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I have already written my MP regarding the bill introduced by Myron Thompson - She is not fond of Mr. Thompson but likes his bill - but wants it to go further. I told her I absolutely agree (not re Mr. T but the bill, lol - lest I get into trouble here )but we need to start somewhere even if it is with this one.

I have to study the other animal rights bills to see what exactly they say. I actually think this one has a good chance of making it- if that archaic institution known as the Senate does not block it for some esoteric obscure reason that makes no sense - or just plain stupidly aka political loyalty even when a law is good!!!!

Mr. Bryden's bill sounds good as well.

What we need though is an omnibus bill of some kind that overhauls (hate that word but it;s what comes to mind) all the legislation we have at the federal level giving our companion animals - and all animals - better protection and the rights they deserve!!! It is time we actually moved into the 21st century where our furbabies and their cohorts are concerned!!!!!

I am still furious at the Senate for holding up that other bill, Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!!!
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Melissa,interesting read,although it took me 1/2 hour to find the tiny portion allocated for Animal Cruelty.:sad:
I have no idea who Myron Thompson is,but I too will write my MP,whom I believe to be Bonnie Brown.
I have no great hopes our government will dedicate even 5 minutes to the subject of the treatment of our animals.
Tamara Chaney's 111.000+ petitions is a good start
The media could do so much more,we often read a small shocking caption in our newspapers about horrific abuse,but very seldom is there a followup.
Except Kensington the cats story,which was widely reported,because of the horrific cruelty.
However,when the nonverdict for the 3 demons who tortured him to death,finally came,I cried for the injustice done to Kensington.
It's sad,when all you can do is cry for these poor helpless animals
Thank's Melissa
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:13 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha's mum View Post
Yup, that was my prediction a few months ago. Some hunter or farmer is going to find that kid dead in a field with a rope around his neck and duct tape around his hands and feet. I can't believe the audacity of people.

Dogmelissa, please don't think we've forgotten. I remind my coworkers every day about the cruel and horrible way people treat animals. I have become somewhat of an unofficial advocate for animal rights at my building, trying to educate pet guardians about how to best care for their pets. It's a challenge, but I feel like if I get through to one person, I've accomplished something.

I am planning to take leave from work when that wretched waste of oxygen goes to court so I can be there and look at the dirt bag that would dare harm a defenseless animal that showed him nothing but love and devotion. It makes me sick to even think about it, but I feel like I have to do something, if only for my piece of mind......
I know that a few people still remember, among them some members here, the wonderful lady Ruby, and myself. However, I think the general public has forgotten, and that makes me sad. I'm sure the families of the two accused and close friends have not forgotten either.

Mocha: If the younger boy has a seperate trial, will you be attending that one? Or just the older boy (trial set to start May 23)? Regardless, I can guarantee that I will be there, for every minute of every day that the trial(s) are on. If I have to sacrifice pay to do so, I will do it. So in May, look for me!
I have the same feeling... the whole thing makes me sick, but for my mental health, I have to see this through, though I suspect I already know the verdict. :sad:

Anyhow... I need to get off the computer so I can go home and give my furry ones the hugs they deserve.

Updates later this month... and as they come up in the House.

Melissa

Old March 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Pet Guardian

Update number.... 7?

Update on today's court date, where the younger boy was supposed to enter a plea.

Yet again, another wasted trip. No plea, pushed off again. One media person told the other media person that the boy's lawyer told him that the Crown (prosecuter) had been unable to speak to the boy, and that's why it keeps getting pushed off. This seems pretty impossible to me, but I'm no expert, so I have no idea.

Anyhow, the next court date (when we'll hopefully get a plea) is Wednesday April 18.

I haven't heard any updates about the petition in the House... anyone?

Will be back in April for another update.
Melissa

Old March 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Dogmellisa,it's weird,I was thinking of you today and what is happening and here you are...
One thing I know,I will never forget Daisy Duke and I would be right there beside you in court.
It just seems there is one horror-case after the other,a dog freezing to death,a dog dying of starvation tied to a stairwell,it just goes on and on:sad:
Thank you for keeping us updated,even though it came to nothing this time,again
I'll watch for another update in April..thank's!
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Pet Guardian

Update April 4

Just found out something interesting today... we'd heard at the first court date from some people in town that Daniel may be facing other charges, for attacking a person, but we had no proof. Now we do.

http://www.didsburyreview.ca/news3.html

Quote:
Warrant issued for Haskett
Jodi Styner, Didsbury Review

A warrant for the arrest of Daniel Charles Haskett was issued last week after he failed to appear in Didsbury Provincial Court on an assault matter.

Didsbury RCMP Corporal Kevin Fischer said Haskett has since been located and re-released. Another court date will be set.

Haskett faces charges of assault causing bodily harm, possession of stolen property, and failure to attend court.

Details in the case are not being released at this time.

Meanwhile, Haskett is scheduled to go to trial May 24 on charges of animal cruelty relatied to an incident in October 2006 that led to the death of the Haskett family's dog, Daisy Duke.

Regardless of what happens in THAT case, I hope that the judge at the trial looks at his arrest history and realizes that this kid is not the kind of person who should be trusted out in public! How many times do we have to tell them about the link between cruelty to animals and later abusing people?? When it's happening at the same time, what's going to happen to the next poor person who crosses his path? He'll probably rape, torture and then murder that person, and maybe THEN people will realize the help that this kid needs. I'm SO frustrated with the lack of foresight in the political and judicial system that I just want to throw my hands up in the air and go live in a place where monkeys rule. It can't possibly be as stupid as this. Even meerkats have "laws" and actually follow through on the punishments for breaking those laws. Surely we're smarter than meerkats? (Does anyone else watch Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet?)

*sigh*
So I'll be back in court on the 18th of April for the younger kid's next date... it'll be a small miracle if he actually enters a plea. Then I'll be back on May 24 for the start of Daniel's trial. We'll see if he actually shows up for THAT date!

I'd love to bring my computer to type in things as they happen, but I don't imagine that'd go over too well, so I'll just bring paper and write it down.

Will check in on April 18.

Melissa

Old April 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Melissa thank's for keeping me(us?)updated..
There is so much violence out there and the"kids"are getting younger and younger,our government definetly need to step up our justice-system and hopefully also include animal-cruelty.

I suppose most people have forgotten about Daisy-Duke and her suffering,even the people in Didsbury,so I am very greatful to you for still caring,I know I do..thank's again!
Hopefully this young man will see some jailtime on the assault-charge
Sorry,if I got a little rough about your spraying kitty
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
We would do more damage with 2 cars good idea.
YEAH going in opposite directions

Hang 'em high with their own intestins!
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the update. There surely needs to be tougher laws for animal abuse and the younger offender act is stupid. How much proof do people need when it comes to the link between animal abusers and people abusers, it has been proven time and time again. Jeffery Dahmer for one started out tourching animals and then went on to people...he wasn't the only one.

He needs to be tied behind a car and dragged, then maybe he will finaly understand what he did. It just drives me nutts that cops can't touch you until you are of age...they don't even repsond to shoplifting calls anymore. Not that I want to see kids get beatten but they have no fear and think they are untouchable....sadly for the most part they are.

that justice will be served for DaisyDuke, and that he will be banned for life from every owning an animal.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
N/A

A Eulogy to a Dog

We all know that dogs have special qualities which make them unique
among all creatures on this earth. Their devotion and loyalty to man,
have set them apart. One of the most enduring eulogies to this affect
was presented by a Sedalia, Mo. lawyer by name of George Graham Vest,
who was later to become a US Senator.. His speech was in response to a
lawsuit on behalf of "Old Drum", a foxhound who was viciously killed by
a human neighbor. His owner brought suit for damages. Senator Vest
concluded his case with the following speech:

"Gentlemen of the jury, the best friend a man has in the world many turn
against him and become his worst enemy. His son or daughter that he has
reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and
dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name,
may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may
lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man's
reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The
people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success
is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure
settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend
that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts
him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.
Gentleman of the jury, a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in
poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground,
where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may
be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to
offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with
the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as
if he were a prince. When all other friends desert he remains. When
riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in
his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune
drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and
homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of
accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies
and when the last scene of all come, and death takes the master in its
embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all
other friends pursue their way, there by his grave side will the noble
dog be found. his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert
watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

Old Drum's master won his suit, amidst a courtroom filled with tears,
and Senator Vest's statement has been preserved as a classic statement
as presented above.

Thank You Dog Melissa, for keeping Daisy Duke's spirit alive with your updates.
It means so much to us that you take your time to update this thread.
God bless you,
Cruelty towards animals happens everywhere, hopefully one day the laws will be there to protect animals from abuse...all over the world.
Furbaby Momma, trying to help make a difference one paw print at a time. :love: