Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 5th, 2005, 08:39 PM
<-----nut ball

Bowel movements in dogs - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

OK. I need some opinions. Odin had some loose bowels yesterday, so I gave him some pumpkin treats (mashed pumpkin with a little cinnamon and mollases, dried in the oven...he won't eat plain pumpkin).

Today he pooped at 6 AM and again around 12 PM, and then again after training classes around 8:30 PM. His last one was very small and he squatted and walked around for a bit with nothing coming out after. then we get home from training just about nowish, and before bringing him upstairs, I took him out, and he squatted but I didn't see anything come out (then again it was in a dark as he decided to squat in an area with no streep lamp!!).

Keep in mind that on training day he usually doesn't get dinner, or gets a small dinner very early, except today he didn't eat all his breakfast right away, so since he finished it around 3 PM, and I didn't feed him extra.

So...when do I start worrying about a possible blockage? Now? Should I start worrying if he doesn't poop at his first walk? If he is farting, can we assume he is not blocked? Could the pumpkin caused him to be constipated? Maybe he had no poop because he didn't eat anything until his training class?

I'm just curious. He is drinking and peeing fine, and seems active, and isn't in pain with I touch or prod his belly.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:17 PM

The belly is not bigger or tighter than usual right? And he doesn't look distressed? Is he salivating a lot? Pacing or dry-heaving?

My vet book says if the dog is able to belch or vomit, it's probably not bloat... Nothing about farting- farting is usually produced in the intestine and that may not be affected with bloat if it's lower down...

He may also be constipated from the pumpkin... Maybe try not giving him any with his next meal...

If it is bloat, it will get worse fast, and you will have to take action.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm pretty sure pumpkin is recommended for constipation, not loose bowels. I gave it to my cat and it worked, briefly, until he decided he hated pumpkin and I couldn't fake him out. This would mean that you are overstimulating his bowel, rather than calming it down, and as a result he constantly has the urge to go without being able to produce anything. And since he has no other weird symptoms, I'm guessing he's fine.

Last edited by badger; April 5th, 2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure pumpkin is recommended for constipation, not loose bowels
There is another thread open still where everyone is using pumpkin to harden the loose bowels. That seems to be the use for it. Here is the thread: Loose Stool

Last edited by Prin; April 6th, 2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Senior Contributor

who knew? must work both ways. thanks for that.
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Just wanted to add something about the bloat.

My last foster bloated and you can tell right away that something is terribly wrong, atleast you could in his case. he became very lathargic with in a matter of minutes and was trying to vomit white foam, it was the scarest thing I have ever seen but thank god he pulled through and after his surgery he had some pretty wicked belches for a few weeks usaully after he ate but that went away with time.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:08 AM
<-----nut ball

typing with one hand here...so bere with me and spelling.

Odin seems to be fine. No, his stomach wasn't tighter than usual and he didn't seem like anything was bothering. I think it's the pumpkin.

He didn't poop on his first walk this morning.

funny thing I was thinking though, I said "go poopy" when we got home after training, so maybe he was just obeying me and trying again after he went before we left training. It's kind cute when you think about it, as he was SO good in training last night, listening and all.

He also ate his breakfast fine and was drinking water fine this morning. He just asked me to hold his paw while he licked it (and me..hence a single hand for typing).

According to my BF he didn't try and squat this morning at all. if he had and nothing came out, then I would be worried. Odin tends to get distracted easily with birds in the early morning, and doesn't poop usually until his second walk.
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:40 AM

human help

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'll throw in my 2 cents....You said he was loose yesterday, and now no "product" right??

Same thing happened to me last week.(Yeah, I know it's a pet site, but I think that works mostly the same way)

I thought it was a bit of the 24 hour flu or food posioning, but it sure cleaned me out....then nothing for 5 days.

Maybe it takes a while?? It was funny b/c I thought I should feel bloated too, but I felt fine.

Sorry if this was too much info

Corona
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:53 AM
<-----nut ball

Hey no worries, I've been there, done that. I can have really bad eating habits which screw with my system all the time, and this is the second week in a row like this with training night. I just worry more because he gets so excited and worked up in training, that I freak out about bloat all night long.
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Oh raingirl I hope Odin is OK, and you sound like such a wonderful loving Mommy, Odin is very lucky to have you!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM
<-----nut ball

Yay! He pooped! I'm relieved! It was a big one too (ewww)
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

YAAAY ODIN !!!!
That's great news, I am so happy Odin is feeling better

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old April 6th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lmao

Yeah Odin! Don't you just love that dog ownership has reduced you to discussing BM's on the internet!

Btw, pumpkin both helps for constipation and diarrhea.
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

LOL BMDLuver, what's even more funny is the rest of us cheering for someone else's dog when they poop!!

Old April 6th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

That is what I was thinking when I read the post. I mean we all got happy when Odin pooed. LOL Chino gets down like he wants to poo but he will walk around a little and than finally go. So funny! Good job Odin. Good boy!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM
<-----nut ball

I think the cute part of this all is that he tried to go potty last night when I asked him, as he was being such a good boy and just listening to mommy! Today on his lunch time walk, he was looking at me every few seconds for heeling...and he was doing SO well, I wanted to kiss him! He would look at something, then back at me, it was so cute.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:35 PM

I don't know if this is a good thing, but Boo goes on "strike" sometimes and if it lasts more than a day, I slip him some all bran to MAKE him go (don't have much choice when you get the bran)... Just a tiny bit...
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

It is counterproductive to attempt bowel micro-management in a puppy, dog, human child or adult. For puppies and children it is important to provide some type of structure: meals at regular intervals, reduce snacking and provide plenty of time for exercise and allow for individual schedules.

A puppy will defecate three of four times a day, depending on food intake and number of scheduled meals. Adult dogs will defecate usually once or twice a day, depending on diet and number of meals.

If an intestinal blockage occurs, then you will have plenty of indications: frequent vomiting, attempts at defecation (straining, anal bleeding), painful abdomen, gas, loud intestinal sounds, poor to non-exsitant appetite.

Think of the gastro intestinal tract as a garden hose: if you kink the hose then the contents must go somewhere; in this case, vomiting if the blockage
doesn't allow normal migration through the established route. I am certain you would not appreciate it if your bowel habits were under another's
control, allow your dog this dignity.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Well said.
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Bad Gas, Pups eat everything

I keep my 2 6 month old pups on a fairly strick diet of dry IAms food , dry Iams bisquits , and the occassional green dental bone. Unfortantely they also eat, wood, rocks , plastic and anything else they find in the yard or in the house , that they can fit in into their mouth when im not looking.

The male is especially bad, he gulps down everything and barely chews.

They both have bad gas, but its the male that has big problems pooping.

I know free feeding isnt prefered , but my vet said that if they dont over eat and are not over weight i can free feed them. So we do.

I do this because, they tend to need alittle more energy through out the day then most pups i know. They have a huge back yard to play in and each other to play with and rarely rest from morning to midnight. Occassionaly they take a nap to recharge then they are off again.

My question is , given their life styles, and my strick ways in feeding , can someone suggest a solution to the males constipation? I dont want to force it out, but i can tell it bugs him sometimes and i thought he might welcome alittle help.

If anyone has a solution to stopping them from eatting rocks, wood and plastic id appreciate some help there too. I dont let them , but the little devils run away when i go to take it from them , and quickly swallow it up before i can take it away.

Thanks , im new btw.
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:36 AM
<-----nut ball

First, I would suggest you start this as a new topic because few people will look at it here.

Second, stop feeding Iams. It's full of fillers and other crap and is not good for your dog. There are lots of other better quality foods that will solve the poop problem. Consider Wellness, Solid Gold, or other premiums foods. You spent more per bag, but feed less and get less poop.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:25 AM

If your male is "gulping down everything", he shouldn't be free fed. The only dogs who should be free fed are the ones who barely eat each time they decide to.

Could be the food. I noticed when we switched to the Solid Gold, Boo stopped having trouble going. He was abused too, which had an effect on him. Iams has stool hardeners in it which would probably cause constipation because the longer it stays in there, the harder it will be, right? And the big food companies think that harder means healthy. (So even when your dog is sick, you don't know until it's really bad...)
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Bowel Movement

I have a question and I hope someone can help me. MY dog Sam is a poodle. Saturday through Sunday morning throughout the night he was sick throwing up, diarrhea. Sunday through the day he seemed ok, although his stool was soft, then Monday the diarrhea came back, and Tuesday was the worst he had diarrhea all over my house. I called the vet and luckily I had some meds from a previous bout of diarrhea. I started giving him the medications, and the diarrhea stopped, however NOW, he has not have a bowel movement at all in 2 1/2 days. I am completely worried. I have called my vet 3 times and he states this is normal, that sometimes it takes a pet to go a few days before they're bowel movements will resume. I am worried...should I be? The doctor said to give it until Monday and should have a bowel movement by then, but what if he dont. He also said to walk him sometimes that helps. I have read if you feed them a little bit of canned pumpkin that will help. Can someone give me some advice and help on this situation...thanks a worried mom
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I think you need a second opinion. It's not normal for a dog not to go for 7 days (if he still doesn't go by Monday, as your vet suggests..). IMO, your vet just isn't putting this dog's well-being first.
Old October 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

I'm not trying to provide a diagnosis, nor suggesting not to go to the vet (7 days without a bowel movement would indeed be too long), but if the meds you gave to your dog (upon the vet's advice, right ?) are Flagyl (Metronidazole), then it is a totally normal side effect that the dog is constipated for 2-3 days. The vet should have told you, it happens in most cases. Beyond that, it is not normal though.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:24 AM

Puppy excessive bowel movements

I have a 14 week Schipperke male who is happy healthy alert and over active. All shots de-wormed, does not sleep much and has bowel movements all day and night, eats his, vomits it up and re eats as well as any other fecal matter he can ingest. Feed very top quality (not supermarket) dry food 3x's day recommended amount for age and weight.
Is crated during day but I come home for lunch to get him out. I leave home @ 7AM come in @ noon for lunch and return @ 3:30 so he does not pooh in crate but get up all night 1AM and 4AM to crap, he goes 6 times from 4-8:30. I take him for walks @ park and he gets lots of excercise. I do not feed table food or excessive treats or any raw hide. He goes @ 6:30 every morning and I am worn out. He started out 2 8 weeks being normal and now it is escelating into a real problem. He backs up to my walls and pushed his butt on it and poohs or he also loves to go on a long wall mirror and sometimes tries to eat it as it comes out. Help its not funny I am frustrated and not new to raising a puppy, but he is nuts. I have no children and he is not gettinginto anything.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM

Definitely take him to a vet for an opinion. Could be nothing much, but he may not be digesting his food properly, leading to a nutritional deficiency, and causing the poop-eating.
Old December 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchelp View Post
Definitely take him to a vet for an opinion. Could be nothing much, but he may not be digesting his food properly, leading to a nutritional deficiency, and causing the poop-eating.
We took him off the Oatmeal/Lamb based dog food and it helped for about 48 hours, he seems HUNGRY almost vicsiously hungry, and will eat until he explodes seems to not know when enough is enough, then the pooh in HUGe amounts for a 6lb puppy. I will take him to vet, she has seen him several times and tell me he is healthy w/ a beautiful shiny thick coat, great teeth and skin. I have never had a dog so difficult. Right now he is leashed to me 24/7 because if he gets loose he makes messes everywhere and he even peed on me just jumped up onto me and whizzed all over me, has done it to me while standing still, and yet he goes when he goes out to his potty area, and no he does not have a urinary tract infection. Although he got treated 2x's for that a few weeks back. But his bowel movement issues are not from an inbalanced GI tract.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:55 PM

MY weimaraner has been having loose stools for quite some time. We had him seen at the university hospital and he had an intestinal inteceception and had to have a colon resection. They said this should fix his poop but it seems worse than before. We are feeding him taste of the wild bison and venison... So i was curious for some input from anyone with a weim....
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM

No bowel movements 3 days

Jake (8yo) had increasing loose stools since 10 days ago, today is Wednesday. A week ago tomorrow Thursday, the diarrhea was out of control, with brown mustard looking mush on Friday & Saturday, and yellow mustard soup on Sunday, when I gave him a Lomotil. I withheld food Thursday night until Saturday morning when I started cottage cheese 3 times a day. Sunday I added rice to the cottage cheese. Yesterday, Tuesday, we took him to the vet and he has been started on probiotics and flagyl. He has not had a stool since the Lomotil 3 days ago. How long should he go before I need to get worried about no stool. He has been eating rice and cottage cheese 3 times daily since Saturday morning. This is Wednesday noon.