Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Oscar The Crow !!!

Hi,

I need some advice. Yesterday when I was going to work I seen a crow that had been hit by a car. He really didn't look like he was going to make it and I couldn't bring myself to kill it. So I left him and went to work (I felt very guilty but there wasn't anything I could do and it really looked like he was going to die). A few hours later I told my sister about the crow and she said she seen one sitting on the side of the road in the same location. I figured he must have crawled off the road to die. Well, when I went home from work at like 8:30pm, I seen him sitting by the road in someones yard. He was there all day and no one stopped to see what was wrong. So I stopped and took him home with me. I put him in a box and put him in my garage for the night. I really thought he would pass away over night and I didn't want him to die on the side of the road.

Well I went out this morning and he is still alive and seems to be somewhat ok. I don't think he can fly tho. He's at work with me now...sitting in his box. I want to take him to the vet college but I'm not sure what they will do for him since I don't know what's wrong with him. I think its probably his wing but I'm not sure. Plus I'm not sure if they would want to help him since he's a crow.

He's a really cute crow, I named him Oscar. He responds to me when I caw at him.

I'm going to call the vet college now and see what they say.
Attached Images

Monty: You Will Be Forever In My Heart
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Well, I called the vet collage and they said I can take him in right away. They said he will probably be humanely euthanized. That's if they can't help him any. I feel terrible. I'm very attached to the little guy, but I don't want him to be in any pain.:sad:
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

here it is illegal to keep them as pets, but could you ask the vets that if it is a wing or something that can't allow him to be re-released if you could claim him? You'd have to go to the ministry to get a special permit, in the meantime, are you feeding him? a good quality dog food high in protein is an excellent choice, hard and wet.
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Well, he started to stretch both his wings out and they don't seem to be broken, but I'm not really sure. He is having a lot of trouble walking, he mostly just sits and tries not to move. I tried feeding him wet cat food....I didn't know what else to get. But I can't get him to eat it.
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I actually think crows are quite lovely. I hope you can help him.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

a jar of beef or liver baby food should tempt him, is there not a bird sanctuary/rescue in your area? might be better than a vet.
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

I don't think we have any bird sanctuaries or rescues on pei? But the Atlantic Vet College does rehabilitate other birds such as eagles and owls so they might be able to help him. I think the closet rehab for animals and birds is over in New Brunswick.

I just checked his feet and he broke one of his toes. The fourth one that points backwards is broke. That might explain why he can't walk....
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the Atlantic Vet College pans out for you

From the looks of the feather texture and what I can see of the beak, this is a very young crow. Seems a shame if he doesn't get a chance at life... :sad:

Too bad we're so far away--there's a local rehabber here who would take crows.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynInPEI View Post

I just checked his feet and he broke one of his toes. The fourth one that points backwards is broke. That might explain why he can't walk....
If you can get him to eat Carolyn, even though the toe is broken and right now he may be favouring it.......I am no expert by far, but I think that he would be able to manage ok, I have a Cockatiel with 31/2 toes and he gets around just fine.

Maybe Melinda will correct me if I am wrong.....she knows way more than I regarding wild birds
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

gone to the college.....

Well, I took him into the vet college (45 minute drive, but i didn't mind) and the vet said they would take him into the flight cage and do some tests, see what's wrong.

He really perked up while he was here with me at work, stretched both wings and his legs and has standing up on his own. He didn't walk too much tho. He tried very hard to get out of the box too.

I hope they are able to rehabilitate him

I gave them my number so they can call me with any news. They haven't called yet so I might give them a call and see what's going on.

I hope he will be OK.
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Unhappy

Well, I just called the vet college to get an update on Oscar and the lady told me that they do not give updates on wildlife once they have been surrendered!!

When I dropped him off I had to fill out some paper work and they took my phone number. But now I can't even find out if he's gonna be OK or not:sad:

Now I feel terrible, I don't know what happened to him.

I think I may have to call them back and try and reason with them. Last year my sister and I brought a purple finch in there and the vet called us when they had to euthanize it....so why can't they tell me now?
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

I phoned the vet college again to see if they could tell me anything about Oscar the Crow. The lady who answered the phone(not the same one as before) spoke to the vet who told her that it was policy that no updates are given to the public when they surrender a wild animal. But, the vet did say that the crow was doing fine. I couldn't find out about any injuries but just that he was doing fine.

I asked if he was going to be released and the woman didn't know. I asked if I could release the bird where I found him and she said that I couldn't.

I know that when a bird of prey is brought in, updates are given on a regular basis and members of the public are able to help in the release because I have gone through that.

I really don't think its fair that I can't be informed about the crows health, but I guess they are just following the rules.

I hope he makes a full recovery.
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
If you can get him to eat Carolyn, even though the toe is broken and right now he may be favouring it.......I am no expert by far, but I think that he would be able to manage ok, I have a Cockatiel with 31/2 toes and he gets around just fine.

Maybe Melinda will correct me if I am wrong.....she knows way more than I regarding wild birds
as long as its not the main gripping toe they will be fine
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

you did well with Oscar, a broken toe will heal on its own, they will probably only keep him a day or two and then release him from where they are situated, a crow will return to where he was born/lived, so keep your eyes open *S*
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good luck Carolyn. Thank you for saving this little fella.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Carolyn,I am a sucker for Crows,love my Crows.
I've had Crows here with different injuries,one who's claw(talon?)was completely turned around,his toes facing backwards.
He was the only Crow of a group of seven who survived the West Nile disease and when he found a new mate,after being alone all winter,both hubby and I were ecstatic
Later they brought two young ones.
They are extremly smart birds and I am sure if your Crow is old enough,he will survive.
I don't understand why the college would not let you have any news,after all,you saved himwhich was a wonderful thing to do by the way.
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

I don't understand why they don't allow updates on wildlife either. But I'm glad they were able to take him. I've seen a few of their flight cages and they are pretty big so hopefully he can get strong enough to be released back in to the wild.

Crows are my favorite birds as well!!!!