Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old March 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A couple of very nice male house finches, klm!!! We had a little flock of 5 here the other day--very unusual for us. But we also get purple finches in droves all year round!!

I wish I had some of your cardinals, chico. Haven't seen a single one all winter

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,we have several pairs of Cardinals all winter,they really stand out nicely against the snow.
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They always remind me of Christmas cards when I see them in winter

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
klm.those two are male House-Finches,or Purple Finches,but very pretty
We have no more House-Finches or Purples
Lots of Cardinals though..
Oh...I'm such a I thought they were female cardinals. DOH!

I have had a male Cardinal floating around all winter around the feeder but haven't been able to catch a worthy picture of him yet. Hopefully soon.

One thing with Cardinals that I've heard is they don't migrate. Do you know if they find a spot where they like with plenty of food, do they stick around all year round?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A lot of them do just stick around. They might move to a different part of their territory or move small distances to more favorable habitat in the winter, though. So you wouldn't necessarily see them some months.

The fems are brownish with red highlights on the wings, tails, and crest--with a bright red bill! Very pretty in their own subtle way.

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

klm,the Cardinals seem to stick around here year around,I am probably one of the few people who has feeders here and fresh water all year,also they seem to nest in the many Cedar-bushes and hedges around here.

I LOVE the House-Finches,they sing very pretty,but they disappeared from here,Cornell Univ said they had caught some kind of eye-disease that killed them.
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I am not familiar with this thread at all....seems to be where all the action is. Cannot wait to participate but I will need to catch up first.
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
You can call me DOG!

Welcome to the otherside of tjt Benmax--TWITTER!

Some stunning pictures and great information here if you're looking to find anything relevant to birds.

Chico2/Hazel: I've seen a male Cardinal a few times over the winter months and plan to keep my feeder filled throughout the summer.

Question:

If I keep this feeder filled with Oiled Sunflower seeds and stake up my Oriole and hummingbird feeders come next month, will these different types of birds still visit the different types of feeders or will they scare each other away?

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the warm welcome klm.
Well I do not have too much bird experience...but I do paint them. Though I am not a huge bird watcher nor fan..for some reason I can paint them really well. My specialty bird to paint is the sparrow. Every bird painting I ever did went home with someone.

I do however love to hear birds sing. I always said that when I am no longer on this earth, this would be the last memory I would like to have...just to hear them sing.

So I don't know how much I can actually contribute, but I will see if I can catch up and hopefully participate.
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The banding crew is coming tomorrow!

Old March 29th, 2011, 09:04 PM
You can call me DOG!

If it's any consellation Benmax, I thought my pictures above were female cardinals until Chico and Hazel said they were really nice male house finches! Now I know how to spot purple finches!

So you paint Benmax? Nice...I enjoy painting as well.

Oil on canvas in my preferred medium. What do you use, acrylic, oil? I've alway found painting so relaxing.

Old April 21st, 2011, 11:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

This one had me stumped for a while.

My Pink Bird:

Name:  DSC_0231_edited-1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  102.7 KB

It's a crappy pic, but isn't he pretty? I've never had a pink bird before.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:06 AM
Senior Contributor

wrong place

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Hazel i wonder what his off springs will look like?? wonder if the baby birds would be pink also..
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Interestingly, there has been a purple finch with a little white on his face the past few years. I wonder if this one is one of that white-faced bird's offspring. I'd love to have a little flock of light pink finches around, but sadly they stand out like sore thumbs among the other birds. I think this guy might've gotten nailed by the hawk yesterday. I haven't seen him today and there was a small clump of suspiciously white feathers down by the fence this morning.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Hazel how sad that he/she may have met their demise like that. what a pretty little bird it was. Do you think perhaps a part Albino Purple finch? If there is such a creature. So glad you were able to fet a picture of it to share with us. patti
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I've heard it called partial albinism, but I think it's leucism in this case--a deficiency in the pigment cells that keep them from producing the proper coloration. I've been told purple finches pick up much of the raspberry coloration from diet, so it makes sense that the pink would be there. But much of the brown pigment across the body is either missing or much muted. Pretty little guy, regardless, though, and I'm still crossing my fingers that he'll show up at the feeders with his buddies this afternoon.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Hazel,what a pretty little bird.never seen anything like it.I hope he's still around
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
You can call me DOG!

Very unique and stunning.

Hope he/she shows up again.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Me, too... Haven't seen him yet today, but then the other purple finches have been scarce, too--I think cuz it's raining.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
You can call me DOG!

I just put my Oriole feeder up today and put some jelly out...just in case.

I'm liking the new one. Different from the ones I've made in the past.

Now I have 2 that I've dubbed as standby gifts.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Finally got a decent shot of a tufted titmouse. I think this might be the same tuftie that passed through last fall--it knows right where all the feeders are and it seems pretty relaxed when I'm out there. I'm hoping it will stick around all summer, but likely it's just passing through and will be gone in a week or so...

Name:  Tufted titmouse 4-21-11 A-1.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  64.5 KB

Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
You can call me DOG!

Wow!!! He sure looks like a beautiful tuff-titty!

Did you get that close or was it a good zoom lens? Nice shot Hazel!

Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Pretty close...but not that close. Good zoom lens, but also cropped the image down quite a bit. If it's still around when it's finally dry enough to put up the blind, I might be able to get a real close up.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
You can call me DOG!

Do you save your images in RAW format or regular settings? I've seen RAW on our DSLR but wasn't sure if it was something I should look further into?

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

RAW format gives you more to work with and I'm just in the first stages of finding out how to work with it. The files on the computer are stored as .NEF files (Nikon RAW format), but the pics I post are converted to .jpg and resized to make them smaller.

Here's another one of the tuftie:

Name:  Tufted titmouse 4-21-11 B.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  52.7 KB

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
You can call me DOG!

Thank you Hazel---Yet another stunning Hazel bird picture. Still waiting for some pack pics in their own thread, you know!

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I've got three months of photos to process. Might take a while...

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well....whatcha waitin' for? Snap to it!

I'm sure you have everything categorized in folders and subfolders which are further broken down into dates--nothing to it!

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yeah, I got hundreds of them!

I'm still on the tufties... Last two:

Name:  Tufted titmouse 4-21-11 C.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  Tufted titmouse 4-21-11 D.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  62.6 KB