Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 18th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Eye Drops

My Ursa was at the vet today.......her regular vet was on holiday and his co worker was in surgery .....they had another vet filling in........Ursa has a condition that requires her to have eye drops once a day......My regular vet always gives me repeats and I have her checked every 6 months to see if any change of dose is required on her last visit he looked and her dose was increased..............The vet I saw today refused to refill my perscription unless I allowed her to perform a eye test.....to see if there was damage on her eye ......I told her that aside from the disease her eyes were fine I look at them every day and examine them and it wasnt nessesary.........she refused to do the refill unless the test was done ......other than that I could come back to see my regular vet. Well she needed her drops so I had to pay 17 dollars for the silly test..........her eyes were fine, as I said no problem. I was infuriated that she put me in that position is this common?????? I am definitly going to speak to my reg. vet about it........I could have waited ......but for what ? to be charged for a exam to get just the eye drops when thats what I was there for today and already paid for? Do vets get a percentage of the bill when they fill in for another vet .........just curious
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I don't know how vets bill...perhaps you could talk to your regular vet when he gets back?

But you know, maybe this temp vet is just being careful to cover her butt, just in case there was some sort of problem since she's new....that's just a guess. I doubt it would be to make any money off you; after all it was a relatively small amount.

If this was one of my dogs, I think I would pay the bill & make a mention of it to my regular vet later. It doesn't sound like a rip-off so much as someone being extra careful, or overly conscientious.
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

To be honest, If I was the vet I wouldn't repeat the rx either

This vet is going by what another vet says and what IF the other vet was wrong or if the drops caused damage to the dogs eyes or the condition had worsened.

I think the vet did the right thing IMHO

The vet's regulatory authority would have his licence on a chopping block if he repeated that w/o seeing your dog if something happened.
You can't fill a rx w.o seeing a patient.
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I understand that luba and I am quite willing to have her seen as thats why I was there it is routine that when I need a refill that she goes in for her check-up I have no problem with that.

I expected to pay for her checkup exam.....39.50
her eye meds...........13.00
and her pain pills..........27.00

It's been routine for 3 years now...... from what I understand the Prednisolone Acetate is not a cure but helps slow down the process of her eventually losing her eyesight altogether. I forget what it is called starts with a "P" a black cloud that is slowly covering her eyes.

I paid the 17.00 bill to have the test as i had no choice .....the alternative was to come back pay another 39.50 for another exam. it seems petty but in my opinion , uncalled for considering it is in her file that this is routine and has been for 3 years.....Oh well, like someone said I will take it up with my regular vet .....he is really good will probably give me a discount next time I have to go there
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yeah I know you're bummed about it but all in all he was being cautious and I'm sure the body that regulates and licences him requires him to do such.
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

ya I know your right....... guess I was just havin a bad , grumpy day and it rubbed me the wrong way.......I'm better now......lol
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:00 PM
banned user

(((Igette))) we can be grumpy together
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

No worries we all get that way
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok ok ok ok I am soooooo wrong

After looking into the matter I realize that the vet was right as karin pointed out to me there could be a real problem putting the steriods in Ursa's eyes, could have damaged her if she had an injury there ,that I could not see with the naked eye. (see you guys are soooo good). I would have never forgiven myself if I had caused her any discomfort or worse

Unfortunatly this whole situation has caused me now to wonder...........

"Why has my regular vet not done this "

I guess it is him I should be asking the questions of.......Makes me wonder what if......

I think next time I get an Rx I will fully investigate the matter as best I can

If I could turn back time .......I would be a good girl go back to school and become a vet ,after all they try their best to do well by the animals they treat and we all make mistakes