Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:54 PM

strollers

I have been through many strollers in 2 years with my daughter, and have used Graco and Evenflo. Now i am looking to buy yet another stroller, but i am hoping that this will be the last.
Does anyone know anywhere in toronto, mississauga or brampton where they have a huge selection of strollers, preferably the mid price range ones (ie not graco, evenflo or any that you can get at sears/bay/toysrus etc). I am looking to spend $400 - $900 on a stroller for our baby that is due in the spring.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
I just don't want to buy any graco or evenflo stroller ever again, and the only other popular brand name i can think of is Peg perego in the mid range.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:24 PM
<-----nut ball

I don't know, but I heard the best place to buy strollers is at Costco. Isn't that a lot to spend though? I didn't realize they cost so much!

What kind of features do you want? Here is a list of most important features most people want:

* general ease of use (folding, reclining, etc.)
* the weight and bulk of the stroller
* durability of the frame & components
* maneuvering and smoothness of ride
* how comfortable and safe the parents and child(ren) are when using the stroller

Here was a site I saw that rated strollers:

http://strollers.baby-gaga.com/reviews.php

A friend of mine has an Eddie Bauer one, and she said it's amazing. Easy to use and fully lifetime guranteed if anything happens to it (they fix it for free).
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you looked on epinions.com for user reviews (as opposed to store reviews)?
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM

There is a lot i expect my next stroller to do
full recline
large basket
extra large canopy
1 hand fold and unfold
capable of using any brand car seat as attachment
under 18lbs
big wheels - all terrain
VERY DURABLE

that is all i can think of right now, and i doubt i will find one that has everything i want. I have never even seen strollers at costco. I am surprised that they have them.
I plan on looking at epinions and other online reviews of strollers after i have narrowed it down (from seeing them and testing them out myself in store).
It is a lot of money to spend on something that i wont use all the time, but i figure with this baby, since we don't have too much to spend on him since the big purchases were made with baby #1, that i can afford to spend a bit more on a stroller.
I will have to look into the eddie bauer strollers.
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:35 AM
-

Why not seek out the different baby consignment shops. Strollers are used for such a short period of time and some are in almost new shape. You will be able to get what you want at a fraction of the price.
Old January 5th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

What don't you like about the Graco? So far, others as been pretty cool, and they seem to be the most popular.

Don't know anything about the Eddie Bauer strollers, but we just got an Eddie Bauer car seat that is nicer than the seats it's attaching to. (Trying to convince my wife it'd look much better in a new Mustang)
Old January 5th, 2006, 10:48 AM
-

Eddie Bauer? They have to be pretty expensive. My husband was in there last week getting sweaters and my daughter picked up a game to look at, tic tac toe. It was 65.00. Why on earth would anyone pay that for that game.
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I was surprised at how much they were. They actually weren't too far off the other ones. I'm not big into paying big bucks for the name, but the seat was actually a higher quality than the ones $30 cheaper (which isn't much when you're spending almost $200 to begin with).
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM
-

No that's not too bad if it is of a better quality.
It has been a very long time since I have needed a stroller. I have no idea of what is available now or what they now cost. I do know that if you are in a larger city, they don't tend to get used as much and are placed in the consignment shops at a very good price. Just go to one that is located in a higher income area for the higher end ones.
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I will ask my niece what she has. I know hers is a jogging stroller and she had gone through 2 sets of tires; BUT she is a long distance runner and baby comes along on training runs. So whatever brand she has DEFINATELY will stand up to a lot of punishment.
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I love the jogger stroller. I had an older one that didnt recline, but it was really light and easy to maneuver. Right now its in my garage along with 5 other strollers that I plan to sell in a garage sale one day. The worst is the umbrella stroller definately no good for a newborn.

Also make sure it fits in your car. I had one that didnt fit in my car in the hatchback that I had at the time. I had to stick it in the front seat. That one weighed about 50 pounds to.

I love the ones that look like the 1960's pram strollers. I would have loved one of those. A bit pricey though from what I hear.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I was wondering if you were going to use the stroller for your two year old too? I have a double stroller that's an umbrella type thing, it weighs about 35 lbs it completely folds up, it's very sturdy all the metal bars are square instead of round, it fully reclines has a fairly large basket space, and it's easy to clean.
Before this, I had a double with one in the front and one in the back, unfortunately, the front seat didn't recline fully, which would be okay for a toddler and a baby, but I have twins, so it stunk, and it was difficult to clean, and it weighed a tonne, oh and it was bulky, so it was hard to get in a car when it was folded, we had to rent a van to go on family outings.
If you don't want a double, I had great experiences with Fisher Price jogging stroller, the wheels were large, so I had no trouble pushing my eldest through the snow, it was a nice gentle ride, she used it for a couple years, it folded up, but I didn't need to put it in the car when she was young. One thing that I've heard about jogging strollers is that, using them for jogging with an infant could be dangerous. Shaken Baby Syndrome ! I think however, using it as a regular stroller, not jiggling by jogging would be okay.
And you are right Joey, regular umbrella strollers are not good for babies at all! Bottom line, those regular dinky umbrela strollers are not made for infants, they can hurt their necks, don't fully recline, most don't have protection from sun or rain, they can be unstable and tip or buckle and fold in on an infant.
The umbrella stroller I have is like the Inglesina Twin Swift (but not the same brand), on the link that Stacey provided, but it was more than the price they suggested, and the warranty lasted a year, fix or replace. Now my only problem with it is that I have two chubby toddlers and their shoulders don't fit in it properly with their winter jackets and snow suits, so we're back to using our wagon.
when I had the twins I totally envied the women who could put their singletons into a snuggly.
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd be skeptical about the shaken baby syndrome. You have to shake a baby with some force to cause that (by that I mean actually having the head roll back and forth). I wouldn't think that would happen in a jogging stroller unless you were running cross country through a forest over tree roots, which if that were the case...yea, that's a whole other issue.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM

, my bad! Not shaken baby syndrome, but the developement of babies' spine, and injuries to the neck.

Here's a site that can tell you more about it...

http://www.sickkids.ca/kidshealth/sp...gstrollers.asp

It's been a long time since I have had a chance to use a jogging stroller, so I forgot, but knew there was a warning regarding them.