Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 11th, 2010, 06:50 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Rose of Sharon

As seen through my living room window the other day. Will take some pics of it from the other side soon. With the extended warm weather this year it's open pretty early. Will have to look at the ones in my forgotten front garden too.
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

expecting to see Rose....
sorry, Im not really a gardening person. As soon as I saw Rose I thought you meant Rose.....like our Rose, the real Rose...cuddly Rose...
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

14+, do you know why that particular hibiscus is nicknamed Rose of Sharon? I wondered what people in the States were talking about when I first heard they called a plant that, I'd not heard of it at all. There has to be a story behind it though. It flowers profusely, very nice. I have cuttings in for a pink, a yellow, and a double red hibiscus, they seem easy enough to strike.
Old July 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Goldfields,I have one too,but it's not blooming yet,but I also have 2 Hibiscuses,they are not the same as the Rose of Sharon,probably the same family though.
My Hibiscuses have much larger flowers.

14+,that is really pretty,mine is still in bud-state,soon to bloom.
Old July 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a few in my yard also, pink, deep pink and marroon, mom brought them home from kitchener a few years ago and man, do they grow!!! hers is like a giant waterfall, hubs had to weld up a brace (T) to hold it up right, I really love them and yours is very nice
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

This is Wiki's answer to what exactly Rose of Sharon is. It's pretty bang on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_of_Sharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I have a few in my yard also, pink, deep pink and marroon, mom brought them home from kitchener a few years ago and man, do they grow!!! hers is like a giant waterfall, hubs had to weld up a brace (T) to hold it up right, I really love them and yours is very nice
There are basically two types of Rose of Sharon's that are popular in this area. The one that nurseries have taken the time to coax into topiaries and the one that almost grows wild here. They don't seem to like the colder weather a few hours away quite as much as they do here. I have a whole row of the "wild" ones in my forgotten garden. Everything from the darkest pink to white. They have not opened yet. The one by my window gets a lot more sun which is why it's opened so early. I love them too.
The outside view. Tons of buds yet to open.
Name:  IMG_1576.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  56.1 KB

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Goldfields,I have one too,but it's not blooming yet,but I also have 2 Hibiscuses,they are not the same as the Rose of Sharon,probably the same family though.

This is really interesting. I think they still might be just hibiscus to gardeners here but when I go into the gardening forum here I'll ask the girls does anyone call it Rose of Sharon. We have members from all over the country and one lady from Queensland has superb hibiscus of all shades. We love seeing all her tropical plants when down here in the cold States our gardens are pretty drab. Thanks for that link, 14+.
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post

Yes chico. Same family. My Hibiscus aren't open yet either. But they are growing well. They are both on the small side still. I only planted them last year and not in the best of earth. If I ever get a chance to go work in my gardens they may actually stand a chance of survival.

Old July 12th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Just found a post on the garden forum that says in Queensland it is hibiscus mutabilis they call Rose of Sharon, which of course is wrong, it is yours 14+ that my Botanica has as Rose of Sharon. I like mutabilis and the way it ages from white through to dark pink, though all hibiscus are lovely.