Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:40 AM
banned user

Unhappy O.m.g.

I have an A.K.A. Belgian Malinois He has become very aggressive, I wish I would have done my research on this breed otherwise I would have not purchased him, name, Moses. My Behaviourlist is A.W.O.L. Moses and I were playing outside yesterday in front, he noticed other dog and ran across road and intiated an attack dropped his ball on road. This female at first thought he wanted to play when she realized that behaviour displayed attack mode all hell broke loose. Her owner had been there, neither of us could control him, then it progressed to road where my other dog Harley decided to go into protective mode. Now this female dog would have killed Moses. Another neighbour came to rescue with leash as I had a difficult time controlling him. The man owner of dog when he told Moses to go he backed off but, this behaviour is unacceptable. He initates this if I walk him around people or dogs. I left two messages and one email and nothing from behavioulist. I am aware she has taken her exams and now is finished. She is extremely versed with this breed and she also works with cops. Moses is definetly showing signs that he is a cop dog. At home on property inside he is a perfect angel and really sucky baby. I too have made incorrect moves with him. Now I am aware but everyday is becoming harder he is now 6 months old and my fear is that he is going to remain this way .
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:30 AM

I have always said - punish the deed not the breed.

Yes, I think that you should have researched the breed very well before you got him, though you said you didn't know what breed he was... but once you found out maybe you should have gone back to the breeder, sometimes a breeder will take the puppy back depending on the circumstances.

However, I don't think whatever breed he is should be to blame for any behavior, its like when people say things about boxers or pitbulls, these are the most loyal and sweetest dogs, however people have labeled them as fearful animals, because of some owners that probably did a lot of things wrong. - I am not saying you have, just making a point -

I would say find a good trainer and take him in immediately, I am sure there is a lot of good trainers in winnipeg, you just gotta look, maybe if you go back to the breeder she can recommend someone too. I believe that many problems could be solved with the proper training, and unfortunately because of the lack off, many poor dogs end up in shelters.

Also, I am guessing you don't have a fence? or did he jump the fence? I know in the city here you cannot have a dog unleashed outside if there is no fence, you could be fined.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Kitty pimp

She is extremely versed with this breed and she also works with cops. Moses is definetly showing signs that he is a cop dog cop dogs are not aggresive

It really sounds like you have no clue on how to handle a large dog Find trainer asap for both you and your dog
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
She is extremely versed with this breed and she also works with cops. Moses is definetly showing signs that he is a cop dog cop dogs are not aggresive

It really sounds like you have no clue on how to handle a large dog Find trainer asap for both you and your dog
Really I have mentioned this before. You have not seen these dogs in action with the canine unit here in Winnipeg. I stopped a Squad Car and the Cop mentioned they are Nuts is exact words. This is a working breed. He is a puppy 6 months. You are judgemental I have been training him on my own. To add, not only had I been quized via email by her I found out today that she has 4/5 people a head of me. I have been waiting patiently answering all questions to find out this garbage. Now I have contacted and hopefully going to be a connection I refuse to give up on him. These dogs are high maintenance and require jobs. I have provided two already and I exercise him via cycling to promote his need for drive and speed. I am doing everything on my own. I have googled. In some cases there are discrepancies regarding this breed on the Intranet have no clue there. I am aware that this breed is a working class breed hence above comment. I find that rude thanks anyway

Last edited by minmin12; April 22nd, 2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: adding
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

minmin, I am sure that you love Moses but it sounds like you may have bit off more then you can chew. I had a dog once that I found I could not control so to be the best pet owner I could be I let it go. There may be a Malinois rescue that woyld be able to take Moses and find a home were the owners know how to deal with this breed. These are the difficult choices that we need to make in life. I feel for you minmin12.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:18 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
I have always said - punish the deed not the breed.

Yes, I think that you should have researched the breed very well before you got him, though you said you didn't know what breed he was... but once you found out maybe you should have gone back to the breeder, sometimes a breeder will take the puppy back depending on the circumstances.

However, I don't think whatever breed he is should be to blame for any behavior, its like when people say things about boxers or pitbulls, these are the most loyal and sweetest dogs, however people have labeled them as fearful animals, because of some owners that probably did a lot of things wrong. - I am not saying you have, just making a point -

I would say find a good trainer and take him in immediately, I am sure there is a lot of good trainers in winnipeg, you just gotta look, maybe if you go back to the breeder she can recommend someone too. I believe that many problems could be solved with the proper training, and unfortunately because of the lack off, many poor dogs end up in shelters.

Also, I am guessing you don't have a fence? or did he jump the fence? I know in the city here you cannot have a dog unleashed outside if there is no fence, you could be fined.
She contacted me via email. After spending much time via Email and describing him and what is going on per her questions. She has the nerve to say that I have 4/5 a head of you. Instead of putting my hopes up she clearly let me down not to mention the fact she forgot about one place that I emailed how they used negative reinforcement on him. It is not his fault, waiting to find another thanks
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
minmin, I am sure that you love Moses but it sounds like you may have bit off more then you can chew. I had a dog once that I found I could not control so to be the best pet owner I could be I let it go. There may be a Malinois rescue that woyld be able to take Moses and find a home were the owners know how to deal with this breed. These are the difficult choices that we need to make in life. I feel for you minmin12.
Thank you not in Winnipeg. I am not giving up on him. My Pet Store has an employee her mother had a Behaviourlist help her, waiting for contact number
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:09 PM

Your pup should not be off leash until he has a solid recall down and even then, I wouldn't trust my very well behaved Loki to be off leash in front of the house without a lead/fence - nevermind other dogs, the idea of cars scare me too much! Also, if you KNOW your dog has that reaction to other people and dogs, even more reason NOT to leave him off leash. It sounds like you are setting him up for failure and he's learning some habits and socialization that is going to be tough to fix unless you start intervening immediately. Be grateful the situation wasn't worse than it was - you don't need a 6 month old puppy with a dog bite history.

I would suggest contacting a few local reputable rescues and asking them for advice on training centres/individuals and behaviourists. You may not find someone in your local area directly, but sometimes a bit of a drive is well worth the effort

Good luck!
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Very well out LokiLove. Your dog should not be off leash unless contained in your home area. Always remember that your dog feeds off of you and how your feeling! Good Luck!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
Your pup should not be off leash until he has a solid recall down and even then, I wouldn't trust my very well behaved Loki to be off leash in front of the house without a lead/fence - nevermind other dogs, the idea of cars scare me too much! Also, if you KNOW your dog has that reaction to other people and dogs, even more reason NOT to leave him off leash. It sounds like you are setting him up for failure and he's learning some habits and socialization that is going to be tough to fix unless you start intervening immediately. Be grateful the situation wasn't worse than it was - you don't need a 6 month old puppy with a dog bite history.

I would suggest contacting a few local reputable rescues and asking them for advice on training centres/individuals and behaviourists. You may not find someone in your local area directly, but sometimes a bit of a drive is well worth the effort

Good luck!
I was out grocery shopping with my hearing dog and an elderly blind man came into the store with his guide dog and a woman. I moved away my dog
and told him to stay and the guide dog saw my dog and started to pull the poor man back to play with my dog. It was good he had the woman with him to help with his guide dog. I was really surprise that guide dog tried to play with my hearing dog, I thought guide dogs where trained to know when they where working they could not play. This goes to show the no matter now much training a dog has they'll act like a dog .
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I was really surprise that guide dog tried to play with my hearing dog, I thought guide dogs where trained to know when they where working they could not play. This goes to show the no matter now much training a dog has they'll act like a dog .
I'd be curious if this was an officially trained dog or a dog that individual trained themselves - it could be the difference.
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:32 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post

Good luck!
This goes out to everybody. I have found the best here in winnipeg. She came highly recommended. While we were speaking I mentioned other issues and why they happened. I thank you all. Moses and I are going to be great. I posted awhile ago what a trainer did to him, perhaps if some of you have the time look it up. It truly is horrific