Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 21st, 2006, 06:44 PM
owned by goldens

Dew Claws

I really need to ask your advice about dew claws, my daughters puppy a mutt (and I say that in the nicest way) she is a lovely little girl that has been spayed for about a month now, has dew claws on her hind legs and my daughter is afraid that she will tear these off while romping with my dogs or when she is in the bush and she has talked about surgically removing them, in fact the vet that did the spay was supposed have done it then decided that he would need to have the dog in the animal hospital for 5 or 6 days after the removal, but my daughter didn't want to leave her there for that long at that time. We are 400 km away. So needless to say she oppted to do it maybe at a different time, I have read that it is inhumane to remove the dew claws, what is your opinion please, thanks russte
Old August 21st, 2006, 07:04 PM

Why would the dog have had to stay there 5-6 days?

Boo had his removed. It's far more humane to stitch up an incision than to piece the skin back together after a tear. The back ones do rip off very easily and painfully.
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:02 PM
owned by goldens

Smile Dew Claws

Dear Prin, he said it was an extensive operation and thought it was best to keep an eye on her for a few days after the operation, which I agree. I also agree that having them surgically removed is a lot better than having them torn off. russte
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:04 PM

Better safe than sorry. If they have bones in them, it's a more invasive surgery, so that's probably what the vet is worried about.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:57 AM

I had my GSD's dew claws removed at 5.5 months. I'm with the others, your daughter should get it done!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM

My vet refused to remove our dogs dew claws on the grounds it is 'cosmetic' surgery and not essential - since then Toby has ripped his dew claws off twice romping about on walks, it was very painful for him.
I see no reasons for them to have these claws.
I disagree with declawing a cat because a cat needs his claws for defense, but dew claws are floppy and useless. yes it is a bit horrific putting your animal through surgery because they dont know what is going on, but so is having them ripped off every now and then. And then there is the possibility of infection.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:11 PM

I actully just had my dogs front dew claws removed. Hers were very floppy and actully the nail got torn off 6 times in her two years. The nail being torn off was very painful for her and she would limp for weeks afterward. She never actully tore the whole toe off (thank goodness) but I feel it was just a matter of time. They only kept her overnight and she had them removed the same time she had her teeth cleaned. If the dew claws are nice and tight and don't really dangle I'd say just leave them, but if they are really dangly and loose I'd recommend having them removed.

I'm not sure why the vet would want to keep the dog for that long though. That seems a bit excessive, I would find out why they want to keep him that long. If the dew claws are that attached then perhaps you won't have a problem with them tearing off.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:41 PM

In the mean time you can always tape up the dew claw when running around in the bushes. Use Vet wrap its easy to put on and take off.

www.bluewhippet.net
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:34 AM

I thought that the dew claws should be removed in the first days of life because they are very soft and it’s easy. Is this true?

How much does it cost to remove them on an adult dog? And does it hurt them?
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:56 AM

It does hurt, but they don't necessarily have to be removed that early in life.

Boo had his done during his neutering and they added $40 onto the total for them.

Hurting from surgery is better than hurting from them ripping off. (Keep in mind we're only talking about the back ones here..)
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:27 PM

nothing like clean and neat feet

http://www.bluewhippet.net/truman/index.html
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:56 PM
owned by goldens

Talking dewclaws

Thank you everyone for your input, we will take your advice and get them off as soon as possible russte