Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Book Recommendations: Cat Health, especially older cats

I've learned recently how little I really know about feline health issues. Has anyone found any particularly useful texts that they'd recommend?
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yep. It's called Pets.ca

No kidding. If you read through these posts and the archived ones I am sure there has been more info covered here than a lot of books. You will be amazed.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM

14+, I agree that there's lots of very useful info here on pets.ca -- it's one of the things that made me realize how little I know. I like the idea of well researched books, too, though because I like to get my info from multiple sources. So ... any books at all you'd recommend?
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Well, the problem with that, as I see it, is that most cat health books are written by vets. Seeing as part of the health problems we are seeing with aging cats have to do with diets, and a lot of vets recommend the food they sell because they make a profit on it....... you see where I'm going?

You want a general knowledge book ...... ASPCA's Complete Cat Care Manual by Dr Andrew Edney is one of the ones I have. Then there is The Complete Cat Health Manual by Marty Smith and Race Foster. If you go to Amazon they have a listing for that one (given four stars by readers) and more.

Other than that the best I can do is suggest you go to a book store and browse.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
-

I can't give you any book names either as if I ever had any concerns I would just ask here as I would get all the excellent information from 14+, sugarcatmom, growler, Love4himies that I needed.

Sugarcatmom does have a wealth of information up her sleeve (and/or embedded in her brain ) so she probably will be able to refer you to some when she reads your post.
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
-

Oooops, 14+, I was replying and didn't see your post with some book recommendations.
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Oooops, 14+, I was replying and didn't see your post with some book recommendations.
No problem. And I thank you for putting my name in there with the exalted ranks.
I am learning. More every day. And I must say a lot of what I am learning comes from Pets and from googling any problem I may have. Then it's a matter of sifting through the information for the good stuff.
The problem as I see it with authors is simply that. They are authors. A lot of the time they haven't even walked the walk. They write a book because it's something they are being paid to do. And where do they get their info?

Old January 17th, 2009, 05:24 PM

gkjones- check your messages
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

There aren't many really great books regarding feline health, but one that does fit the bill is Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins' Your Cat - Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life. She's been a feline vet for some 30 years and actually used to work for Hill's , so she has lots of inside info on the whole scam that is "prescription" diets. She's also one of the biggest proponents of wet food for cats, particularly a raw diet, and is highly critical of the commercial pet food industry. I think she's awesome.

An okay book about cats in general is Tracie Hotchner's The Cat Bible. Covers lots of ground, everything from choosing a litter box to how to introduce cats, to diet and health issues. I don't agree with everything she says, but if someone was new to cat ownership I'd totally recommend it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
No problem. And I thank you for putting my name in there with the exalted ranks.

Hey....it is very well deserved to be there.

The problem as I see it with authors is simply that. They are authors. A lot of the time they haven't even walked the walk. They write a book because it's something they are being paid to do. And where do they get their info?
Probably one of the places is pets.ca
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Thank you, RustyCat and SugarcatMom for the good suggestions.

Last edited by gkjones; January 18th, 2009 at 07:22 AM.