Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:59 PM

Training to go on dirt?

I have trained my puppy to go #1 in one place (away from house so there is no yellowing of the grass in plain sight) and #2 in another but both have been on grass. Now I'm finding it difficult to get the #2 out of the grass...and to be honest the whole process almost makes me vomit sometimes.

Is it possible to retrain him now to go on dirt? I have a bit of unused garden space where nothing grows which is about 5'x3'. I've tried to lure him over but he seems to want to keep his feet on the grass. Will I just confuse the little guy if I try to switch his potty spot? Any ideas? Thanks!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Poop happens! and comes with the territory of having animals in your life - time to get used to it.
Having said that - yes you can retrain. Some dogs are very particular about the terrain they will set foot on, so you just need to be consistent and diligent.
Pick up some old poop and place it in the new area. Help him to spend some time in the new area by keeping him on the leash (attached to you) there. Be super happy about the area and pretend you are having fun there too. Bend down and investigate the dirt etc. You need to help lead him into feeling good about the new area, and when he does soil there reward him with lots of praise.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
-

You can get some potty spray to attract your puppy to that area. You can also probably get some amonia and place it there.
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:01 AM

Thanks!

I don't know if it's because it's so early but this struck me as hilarious:

"Be super happy about the area and pretend you are having fun there too. Bend down and investigate the dirt etc"

My neighbours already think I'm insane! Can't imagine what they would think if they saw me being really, really excited about dirt at 3 AM! Seriously though, I appreciate the great advice and will give it a try!

I've never heard of potty spray. I've heard not to use ammonia to clean up accidents in the house, as they will go potty there again. That might just work!
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:53 AM
-

The spray is the same stuff that is put on the training pads.
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Personally, I am ecstatic when my dog actually goes when we go out - even when he asks to. Just so many distractions on the street. And he does want Mommy to get fresh air - so what if it is pouring rain or 40 below. With Dad he goes right away because he can't stand to be away from me. Has no such issues with Dad - he is a Mama's boy.