Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 9th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Kitten training

I have an 11 week old egyptian mau. I just recived him 5 days ago, and he's just been great. But I've been noticing lately that when he plays he gets a little rough with everything around him sometimes. For instance he would be playing with his mouse and I'd be sitting on the floor a fair distance away from him, then he'd sprint to me and start attacking my hand, teeth claws and all. It's not painful but it does make me worry that he will do this when he's alot bigger.
I've tried to discourage this type of behavour by making a loud sound (clapping, or shouting) when he does attack, I've also tried just walking away and giving him no attention for an amount of time if he does this.

But I've found all it did was make the little guy a bit more shy of me. What can I do? I don't want to use a squirt bottle because I don't want to encourage his fear of water.
Old October 9th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Senior Contributor

He's just being a typical kitten - and the loud noise is a good idea. Never hit a cat - use positive reinforcement and he will get the message that you do not like to be chewed. Also, do what his mama did - hiss at him. All kittens try to bite - it is part of their playful challenging time. Enjoy!!
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Talking

Well my kitten is 15 weeks old now. I got her at 7 weeks old. All my bf's friends were trying to get my kitten to play around abit. She started getting rougher. Wich i didn't like speacially since i have neices that come and stay over night. So i got her out of it alittle each time but being stern about the word OW! she knows what it means so if she does bite it's for a quick sec then you say OW! and she starts licking. She has been getting the hang of it though. But there's something you can try.
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

This is what kittens do. They spend all their waking hours honing their stalking and hunting skills. This is necessary and there are none who do not do it.
It's always preferable for kittens to have another kitten to play with. IF they do not, they'll play with whatever is handy and it's something you'll have to live with until she grows up unless you get her a playmate.
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:05 PM

I don't mind that my kitten bites or claws me. But I do mind that it will do this when it's older.

I noticed my kitten got bored of most of it's toys already. Is there any toy that's particularly good for giving the kitten a good chase? I've already bought fake mice, a teaser (carrot with a string tired to a stick), balls with jingles, and a ball attached to a board with a spring.

Is there anything I can do to help this little guy spend off his energy better? Like make one of those miniture obsticle courses for him to run trhough?
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Also what kind of clippers is recommended for clipping cat claws. And how do I train my cat not to struggle when I do trim it's claws? I've taught my cat not to struggle when I hold him. But he's still very uncomfertable to let someone hold his paws.
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Another great toy is a lazer pointer,it saves you energy,since all you have to do is sit there and move the light around,my cats LOVE it!Do not however shine the light in the cats eye.
There are special nail-clippers for cats claws in the stores,it's good you are getting your kitty used to them when he is still a baby.
I never did,so clipping my cats nails is a 2 person job.
Be very careful,only clip the hook of the nail.
Otherwise,I agree with everyone,your kitten is just being a kitten,my hands used to look like road-maps every time I had a kitten.He is not being aggressive,just playful.
If you could get another kitten,you would have a ball watching them interact and bond.2 cats is always better than one
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

There are a plethora of cat toys on the market - from the expensive (I bought my Siamese a pricey electronic mouse game, she preferred grocery ties, lol - tho the Sphynx like it so all is not lost). Whatever safe toy interests your kitten is good for her - but most kittens prefer a person on the other end of a toy, or another kitten. Things really do go better for kits in pairs. Each kitten will find things s/he likes the best.

As for trimming her claws, I would not push it or be too aggressive - that just teaches her it is not fun. Clip a few and if she wiggles out of the others, wait and do those later. And give her a treat when you finish so she associates it with something good. I have admittedly never thought this a 2 person task ,esp with a kitten!! Don;t be aggressive and don't use your own nervousness or tentativesness - kittens sense that. Don't hold her too hard either.
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

CK,we only started clipping our cats when they were grown,before that the vet always did it.We still cannot clip Rocky,but with Vinnie and Chico,I will hold them in my arms and cuddle them,while hubby clips their nails.As you said,if they start to wiggle,we stop and do the rest another day
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Makes sense to me Chico - pls don't take my comments as any kind of criticism. I was imagining someone needing 2 ppl to hold down a tiny kitten and that scene made no sense to me, lol Now, an adult cat who is not used having her or his clipped, I can see.
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM

I can't afford another cat at this time, I just had to pay for a pet surgery.

A little off topic, do cats have nap attacks? I mean I'm playing with the kitten one moment then the next moment he's in my lap falling asleep .