Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Low cost microchip clinic near GTA?

Is any one aware of any one offering low cost microchipping? I've been calling around and most vets will chip while doing a spay/neuter and charge on average $70, some won't even do it unless during spay/neuter. I know once in a while some places offer a low cost clinic, but is there a place that does it on a regular basis?
Thanks
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
owned by Tucker

I haven't heard anything about a low cost clinic for micro chipping. My dog was microchipped during his neuter only because I asked for it to be done then. I believe the cost was about $58 but that was over 6 years ago. The dog I had before him was just done while awake its only a needle into the scruff of the neck and the chip is about the size of a grain of rice, didn't bother him too much now that was about 16 years ago and cost was about $50. I don't think the vets make too much of a profit on this if any its the cost of the company that manages the chip. My more recient dog has his own web site that you can go on if you find him with picture, all his information and contact numbers. Also if the dog is on meds or has health conditions it can be registered on there. His is EIDAP Inc. they also do cattle and horses.. hope this helps a little
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Most vets do microchip during spay/neuter, but there is no requirement for an animal to be under anesthetic. Jasper was done by my vet a few years ago.

Have you contacted your local shelters? They may do it for less, but 60 dollars is pretty much the going rate.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried Blue Cross on the Danforth?

I find it odd that some vets will do it only during a s/n. All my dogs got chipped at 3 months and got neutered at 6 months. They don't need to be under to get chipped. It only takes a few seconds to do it.

At Winter Wolfstock they had it for $30. I got my daughters pup(4 months at the time) done. As doggy lover stated, it's just the size of a grain of rice. Milo didn't flinch. Got him licensed the same day.
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
Have you tried Blue Cross on the Danforth?

I find it odd that some vets will do it only during a s/n. All my dogs got chipped at 3 months and got neutered at 6 months. They don't need to be under to get chipped. It only takes a few seconds to do it.

At Winter Wolfstock they had it for $30. I got my daughters pup(4 months at the time) done. As doggy lover stated, it's just the size of a grain of rice. Milo didn't flinch. Got him licensed the same day.
Yupp, my thoughts exactly. I called a few Toronto vets and they either will only do it as part of a spay/neuter (I think they're just trying to bring in more $), or they told me they would require a local if I "insist" on getting the dog chipped prior to spay/neuter. They actually made me feel like I was strange for requesting to have a puppy microchipped?
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
or they told me they would require a local if I "insist" on getting the dog chipped prior to spay/neuter. They actually made me feel like I was strange for requesting to have a puppy microchipped?
Hmmmm, that's strange, when they did Jasper it was a small needle in the back of the neck. He didn't even flinch

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:03 PM
-

That is strange, at the shelter regular shelter workers implant the chip. Some dogs do wince when given the chip, but it is for an instant only.
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM
banned user

Very strange...we used to buy them direct from CKC..don't remember the cost but not very much...they even gave you the needle to "install" them...but...not doing that....so we took to our vet and she charged $7.00 for implanting them.
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM
banned user

Not sure why local humane societies don't do this...it would help them as well and they could pocket some profit!
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yupp, my thoughts exactly. I called a few Toronto vets and they either will only do it as part of a spay/neuter (I think they're just trying to bring in more $), or they told me they would require a local if I "insist" on getting the dog chipped prior to spay/neuter. They actually made me feel like I was strange for requesting to have a puppy microchipped?
Something is just not right here. And it's sad that they are giving you a hard time about this. They shouldn't be. And I don't know anyone who has gotten their pups chipped having a hard time like you are.

I'm assuming you don't have a regular vet?

When you called these vets, how did you go about asking about chipping?
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
Something is just not right here. And it's sad that they are giving you a hard time about this. They shouldn't be. And I don't know anyone who has gotten their pups chipped having a hard time like you are.

I'm assuming you don't have a regular vet?

When you called these vets, how did you go about asking about chipping?
Mona I do have a regular vet. I started calling around out of curiosity at first, then I started hearing things that didn't sound right at all which prompted me to call a few more vets.

The vaccination clinic at Kennedy and Eglinton will do microchipping for $40-something, every one else was in the $60-80 range. Some of the receptionists actually told me they will only microchip the dog during spay/neuter when I asked why I was told it's because they prefer the dogs be put under for the "procedure" as the microchip isn't small and can cause discomfort while being injected.

Ironically enough, city animal services/shelters or the THS won't microchip the public's pets unless the dog is being adopted from their shelter.

This is such a simple thing that can go such a long way should a dog ever get lost or stolen. This should be more easily accessible and cheaper to encourage more people to chip their pets. Does any one know how much the chips cost? I've been told they're in the $10 range. So majority of what people are paying is the cost of the service to inject the chip.
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Mona I do have a regular vet. I started calling around out of curiosity at first, then I started hearing things that didn't sound right at all which prompted me to call a few more vets.

The vaccination clinic at Kennedy and Eglinton will do microchipping for $40-something, every one else was in the $60-80 range. Some of the receptionists actually told me they will only microchip the dog during spay/neuter when I asked why I was told it's because they prefer the dogs be put under for the "procedure" as the microchip isn't small and can cause discomfort while being injected.

Ironically enough, city animal services/shelters or the THS won't microchip the public's pets unless the dog is being adopted from their shelter.

This is such a simple thing that can go such a long way should a dog ever get lost or stolen. This should be more easily accessible and cheaper to encourage more people to chip their pets. Does any one know how much the chips cost? I've been told they're in the $10 range. So majority of what people are paying is the cost of the service to inject the chip.
last time I bought 100 chips it was 6.65 each... have you thought of contacting a few large rescues? some rescues do chipping as a fundraiser.
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I use Kennedy and Eglinton for my dogs vaccinations. Dr Bhadri is great.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM
owned by Tucker

Choochi I use West Hill animal clinic at Lawrence and Port Union they are more expensive than $40 but at the time I had my dog done it didn't matter if you were doing spay/neuter. Now they have been sold to another vet but look them up and see what they have to offer?? I would give you the number but I don't have it with me right now..
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM

I know it was $65 to chip my girl under anesthesia during surgery for the removal a skin lump a few weeks ago. I would think my vet's prices are generally average-to-high.

The AVMA microchipping FAQ says it can be done during a routine visit: AVMA - Microchipping FAQ

Quote:
Q: How is a microchip implanted into an animal? Is it painful? Does it require surgery or anesthesia?
A: It is injected under the skin using a hypodermic needle. It is no more painful than a typical injection, although the needle is slightly larger than those used for injection. No surgery or anesthesia is required—a microchip can be implanted during a routine veterinary office visit. If your pet is already under anesthesia for a procedure, such as neutering or spaying, the microchip can often be implanted while they're still under anesthesia.
Also the CKC requires that breeders microchip or tattoo their dogs so they provide this info about microchips on their site:
CKC - CANADACHIP Recovery

(It says pretty much the same things as the FAQ above. They always claim it's no more painful than a vaccination, but I don't see how a vaccination is as painful as injecting a solid the size of a grain of rice.)

Maybe the vets have guidelines from the chip manufacturers stating that they should be implanted under anesthesia to reduce migration potential?
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM

There was a microchipping service being offered by some of the local shelters each year for around 30 dollars including chip. They did not require the pup to be put under.

Also my sisters got their two dogs chipped at woofstock for 20 each 2 years ago.
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCS View Post

Maybe the vets have guidelines from the chip manufacturers stating that they should be implanted under anesthesia to reduce migration potential?
What on earth would anesthesia have to do with possible migration? Vets don't get any extra special instructions from the manufacturers then any one else.

No, this is pure BS made up by vets to justify making more money off the dogs that walk in through their doors. Breeders routinely mc pups without any special treatments for ID (as required by CKC), shelters and the humane society as well as the city shelters routinely mc pets once they are adopted, but they have washed their hands of helping any dog that is not being adopted from them.

There is absolutely no reason or justification for vets to charge as much as they do or give such a run around to people calling requesting to just have a chip done. The stories they give are nothing but a slimy marketing ploy to get you to hand over more money in their office instead of at another vet. If you're in to just do a mc, you're wasting their time, but if they can convince you to also book an expensive procedure such as a spay with them, they make much more off your single visit. Quite frankly same goes for vaccines the cost of which is maybe $15 yet many vets charge as much as $80 for the visit adding charges for the service of administering the vaccine (really, brain surgeon skills needed there) and taking the opportunity to do a "mandatory" visual health check.
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Many of the cat and dog shows around have micrchipping booths...around 25.00 I think?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Catlover2

You might inquire if they microchip at the Newmarket spay-neuter clinic.

http://www.spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:50 PM

Toronto Humane Society

For anyone still wondering about this the Toronto Humane Society offers $20 microchipping for pets.

Here are the details:
Calling All Responsible Pet Owners!

Have you been thinking about microchipping your pet? Now is the time to get it done! The THS is proud to offer a public microchip clinic.

What exactly does this mean and how does it work?

June 10th, between 9-5pm
Bring your pet to our 11 River Street location, complete a registration form, and have your pet microchipped for $20, no appointment required.

It couldn't be easier. Be a responsible pet owner: ID your animals - your pet's life may depend on it.
(dog and cats only please)

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/scratchingpost.htm