Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old January 10th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Outrageous...

It is estimated that there are approximately 2000 Pitbulls across the country in shelters slated for euthing. 97% having committed no offense, other than
being born a Pitbull or "Bully" breed.

A young hearing impaired gentleman from Ontario, has relocated to Alberta just this past weekend to save his Pitbull from death.
His dog is a service dog, and was confiscated because he momentarily removed his dogs muzzle for whatever reason. The dog has never shown aggression, never committed an offense.
To get his dog back, he was told he would have to pack up and leave Ontario.
So to save his dogs life, he did just that. Leaving friends and family behind to save his beloved dog from certain death.
An Alberta rescue, helping him relocate has supplied shelter for him and his Pitbull.
Ontario's Pitbull genocide is shameful. To treat a fellow Canadian citizen like that is shameful. "McGuilty" needs to go!
I will never return to my home province, until that man is sent packing!
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM

It is terrible what ignorance of a few has done to that province. When I was searching for pet friendly places to visit and did a search. Ontario came up as the worst place to visit with pets in North America.
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

LMPG,I read the story in another post,I feel the same way about McGuinty and his pal M.Bryant,but don't kid yourself in to thinking,this horrible,unfair law will ever be reversed,no matter who is in government,it's here to stay
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
LMPG,I read the story in another post,I feel the same way about McGuinty and his pal M.Bryant,but don't kid yourself in to thinking,this horrible,unfair law will ever be reversed,no matter who is in government,it's here to stay
chico, I have to have faith that "more educated, fairer heads will prevail".
Several places that had Pitbull bans have reversed them, because in time they see that breed bans do not work.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Calgary has got to be the most animal-friendly city in the country. Kudos for welcoming him. I saw them on the tv news,what a beautiful dog he has!
I've just signed up to volunteer for the Pitbull Rescue group here. Hope to have some wonderful stories to tell in the future.
However our mindless bylaws in Edm make future adoption very iffy.... we shall see.
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
Calgary has got to be the most animal-friendly city in the country. Kudos for welcoming him. I saw them on the tv news,what a beautiful dog he has!
I've just signed up to volunteer for the Pitbull Rescue group here. Hope to have some wonderful stories to tell in the future.
However our mindless bylaws in Edm make future adoption very iffy.... we shall see.
Would the rescue be Pitbulls For Life? That's the one I volunteer for.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 12th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I thought this ban SUCKED from the begining. I love this breed and have 2 family members who own them. And as a kid I was around them as I had friends who had them.

On another note about this story. This is an illegal pitty. He is under 5 and not neutered. And he got him from someone who was moving and couldn"t take him.

It's the ignorance of people that really ticks me off. This ban has been here for 5 years. Yet there are people who are still breeding them. And people owning them(illegally). Do these people care about the dogs? No.

I went to a call yesterday. I was greeted by a very happy pitty. I asked how old. Owner said 3. I asked if she knew about the ban and she said yes. Well I gave her the 3rd degree. There have been other calls that I have been to who have illegal pitties. And no these calls have nothing to do with the dogs.

But seiously, people do know about the ban but just don't care. They figure they will never get caught. But when they do, in the end the tears mean nothing. And neither does playing stupid with the "I didn't know"

Oh and the muzzle was taken off so he could drink some water.
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I too think this law is disgusting. Right now I am trying to round up 4 cages so that the rescue can ship 4 pitties out of the province to save their lives. What is their crime "being a pit bull"

I won't start ranting, not enough time and it won't change anything. But it is nice to know that so many people feel the same way.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
Right now I am trying to round up 4 cages so that the rescue can ship 4 pitties out of the province to save their lives.
Great job Sylvie.
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I know full heartedly you love your lil foster Pit, and I know you would do anything for him...

mona, I understand what you are trying to say about ppl that are still breeding them, and I agree those ppl have no care about what will happen to them.
However, this breed ban in itself is WRONG, and I have no sympathy for those that enforce it and then cry they don't like it but they are just doing their job.
I believe genocide is genocide, regardless of species. We humans seem to think we can wipe out species including certain races of humans.
Killing a dog that has done nothing other being born a breed that McGuinty is afraid of doesn't make a law right.
Also, please know that erykah is a hero to all us Pitbull people, she took in a dog that has committed no crime other than being born a Pitbull and she is taking a risk doing so and should be commended not condemned.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Last edited by marko; January 14th, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM

LMPG
Yep you are correct, I'm going to volunteer with Pit Bulls for Life! I so love the breed. I loved the Cesar episode on aggressive dogs, and agree that the most aggressive dog is one that was turned that way by the humans. Too bad we can't ban THAT species.
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment if I can. While I in no way agree with the ban it is very well known that it exists in Ontario. Therefore isn't anyone who knowingly keeps a Pittie in Ontario breaking the law? Like I said, devil's advocate.
From what I get of this conversation Monab is not saying she likes the ban. She is saying whoever keeps a dog that is banned in a province in that province is commiting a crime and if caught should not blame anyone but themselves. Maybe I'm wrong but that is what I'm getting. I don't know if I can use the same correlation but that's like having drugs in your possession and being caught and saying you didn't know. Co'mon. You knew. You were just hoping not to be found out.
So if that is the fact do you have a right to be upset? Yeah, you love the dog. Who wouldn't? They have so many redeeming qualities. But you knew you were breaking the law by having the dog. It's not about loving or not loving. It's about breaking a law. It might be a law that sucks for the moment but - it's here.
We need to find better ways of fighting the law than flaunting it by still breeding this pup in Ontario. Are we fighting it by having/hiding dogs in Ontario? No. How is that helping? It is probably hindering more than anything. We as a people need to step up and say no to the politicians that keep passing these ridiculous laws. We as a people need to stop electing these politicians. This is not McGinty's first run. Someone voted him back in. So how about the next provincial election we vote for someone who will actually stand up for animal rights instead of doing their damndest to squelch every new law that comes along to help these pets?
I'll get off my soap box now. Just wanted to put that out there.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Let me play devil's advocate for a moment if I can. While I in no way agree with the ban it is very well known that it exists in Ontario. Therefore isn't anyone who knowingly keeps a Pittie in Ontario breaking the law? Like I said, devil's advocate.
From what I get of this conversation Monab is not saying she likes the ban. She is saying whoever keeps a dog that is banned in a province in that province is commiting a crime and if caught should not blame anyone but themselves. Maybe I'm wrong but that is what I'm getting. I don't know if I can use the same correlation but that's like having drugs in your possession and being caught and saying you didn't know. Co'mon. You knew. You were just hoping not to be found out.
So if that is the fact do you have a right to be upset? Yeah, you love the dog. Who wouldn't? They have so many redeeming qualities. But you knew you were breaking the law by having the dog. It's not about loving or not loving. It's about breaking a law. It might be a law that sucks for the moment but - it's here.
We need to find better ways of fighting the law than flaunting it by still breeding this pup in Ontario. Are we fighting it by having/hiding dogs in Ontario? No. How is that helping? It is probably hindering more than anything. We as a people need to step up and say no to the politicians that keep passing these ridiculous laws. We as a people need to stop electing these politicians. This is not McGinty's first run. Someone voted him back in. So how about the next provincial election we vote for someone who will actually stand up for animal rights instead of doing their damndest to squelch every new law that comes along to help these pets?
Having a Pitbull in Ontario is not illegal, having ones born since the ban is. So those breeding pups, are most certainly breaking the law. I was simply trying to point out that there are people like erykah, who don't blame the dogs and are trying to save them. Should we just euthanize the litters and younger ones because some human decided to breed them? Why should those dogs not receive the best chance at survival? I agree those breeding don't seem to care about the future of their litters, they only care about the dollar value. However, I would never condemn someone for harboring these dogs with the intent to ensure their survival. Erykah, has stated that she is trying to find a forever home for the dog she has, but not at the expense of sending it somewhere where it wouldn't get the care it needs. When the right rescue with the right resources comes along I'm sure she will gladly but with a sad heart let him go.
I understand what mona_b was saying, and I know what erykah has done and what she is trying to say...it was the " don't come on here to get sympathy" remark that got my dander up. My perception of some of the comments including that one was almost like saying you get what you deserve
for harboring and helping that Pitbull. I could be wrong, and if I am I'm sorry but that is the way it came across to me.
erykah, if for some reason you do get busted trying to save the Pitbull you are caring for, you can PM me, because I will have all the sympathy in the world for you and the dog. Thank you for taking the risk for him.
Harboring and hiding these dogs are most certainly not the most ideal way of fighting the law, I agree 14+, but if saves innocent lives then I would rather see them harbored and hidden until something better comes along.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 13th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
LMPG
Yep you are correct, I'm going to volunteer with Pit Bulls for Life! I so love the breed. I loved the Cesar episode on aggressive dogs, and agree that the most aggressive dog is one that was turned that way by the humans. Too bad we can't ban THAT species.
Welcome aboard Etown_Chick! Maybe we'll meet at a fundraiser event or something! I'm also going to look into Prairie Pitbulls, they could use volunteers too.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
Having a Pitbull in Ontario is not illegal, having ones born since the ban is.
Ooops, sorry. I knew the grandfathered act too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

These bans have been around for many many years. And I don't believe I've ever heard of any study done to show that is has been effective in any way. On the contrary, people still get bitten by dogs, dogs of ALL breeds. Why? Because of the owners. Why isn't there more emphasis on the owners being held accountable when their dog, whatever breed it is?

Many innocent dogs being killed on a daily basis, for no reason. And if that's not bad enough, most of those dogs are being killed just because they are believed to be the "offending" breed.

In Miami, Florida where I live this ban has been in effect for over 20 years. Many dogs have been killed for no reason. They were not a threat to anyone. There had been no incidents of biting or aggressive behavior. They were simply reported and taken from the owners and killed.

It's like killing a baby because you think when he/she grows up they may some day kill someone. It's ridiculous. Still this is what we do to animals.

Thankfully, there are many groups out there trying very hard to get these bans lifted. Hopefully one day this will all be a bad memory.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Heavy topic and rightfully so. It is a sensitive subject and emotions can run high.

If the pit is below age 5, and has no papers of ownership proving that the dog has been WITH the same owner, WITH documentation proving age (that being 5 years and up)...then the risks are high.

In the same breath, there are many people who have pits and pit X in Ontario. They thought that they could hide their beloved pets, but someone blew a nasty whistle, and the next thing you know, the authorities are at your door. Some people, being uncaring and/or not up for the fight, sign the dog over and the dog is destroyed before you can say 'wait'.

There are many organizations and individuals (myself included) that are getting dogs the heck out of that Dawg awful province. The cost is high however as some are flown to other provinces or transported by animal loving volunteers to get them from point A-B. It never stops. There is always another call for help. The people who are saddled with the pressure are those arranging to move an animal out sometimes within hours. It is absolutely awful to say the least.

I wanted to add also that when moving the dog out, the authorities will ask proof once again that the dog is in another province/state or household. Most of the times I must get them to a shelter, get proof from the director, send to AC and then must make more arrangements to get them to their final destination. All this in 48 hours at times.

I can understand fully people wanting to take the chance due to the love of their pet as well. Right, wrong or indifferent, these people truly want what is best and they feel it is them and are willing to take the risk. I can understand this emotion fully, but it is not practical nor safe.

There are ugly people who will call you on your pet just to be nasty. Some animals that have gone through underground movement are not pits nor amstaffs at all. It surprises me that once I even got a boston terrier X that clearly was not a banned breed...yet she was banned.

I have also received some from rescues where they feared for the dogs in their care. Some clearly are, however I received others that were not but had ears high on the head. Can you imagine?

Be safe and listen to all sides. It could save the dogs life.
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

This law is human racism at it's finest . I don't believe the law will change in the near future, even with a new gov't. It would take years to reverse the public image the Ontario public has on pitbulls. Unfortunately, a well behaving pitbull does not make it into the papers like an aggressive one does. . Geesh, I can't stand that McGuinty and that cyclist murder, Bryant .

I do believe it is breeders who continue to breed pitbull/pitbull x's should be handed a huge fine for doing so. They know full well that they are breaking the law.

erykah: please keep your baby safe, it may only take one person to drive by and see your baby. If that somebody is a "VIP", you may find AC at your door faster than you can blink an eye. As mona stated, it will be your pooch that will suffer the consequences . I am sure this dog is living a wonderful life on your property, so it would be no reflection on you as an owner, if your baby was taken away.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
This law is human racism at it's finest . I don't believe the law will change in the near future, even with a new :.
You remember the day L4H? Was that not pressure or what?
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
You remember the day L4H? Was that not pressure or what?
Oh yes! I will never forget her

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Just wanted to say Benmax, and erykah, and all others that take risks to save the Pitbulls, legal or otherwise, you have a special spot in my heart.
Thank you.
Seriously, if I were an Animal Control officer in that province, I would've quit my job, based on the principal that what they are doing is genocide. I don't know how many officers in Ontario turn their heads when it comes to Pitbulls, in order to spare them, but I doubt it's many, but I pray there are a few.
To them I tip my hat, to those that are actively searching them out and killing them, and other dogs simply cuz they have big heads (\) well, what I wish for you I can't possibly post on this forum
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Nobody is disputing the law exists, nobody is disputing the fact that there are idiots out there breeding Pits in Ontario in violation of the law. What we are disputing is what happens to the dogs bred illegally! I guess we should just euth them all, since they are "illegal", after all a law is a law right, regardless of how stupid and barbaric it is.Either way being law abiding or not the dogs ulimately pay the price.

erykah, I don't avoid you, I don't have you on fb but I would like to, and you can PM me anytime. I apologize if I said something about your situation that could jepordize the situation, certainly wouldn't be my intent, you know that.
I certainly didn't make this thread with the intent of having my fellow Pit rescuers condemned for taking care of "illegal dogs" that never asked to be here in the first place.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 14th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Well I love you and Elmo, I have myself seen the great care and caution that is done to make sure he is safe and always loved.
If someone can be that heartless from the forum to report you, kinda question if they actually do have the best for the dog at heart.

Keep up the great work Erika, and I look forward to seeing your gang again soon. Harley and mercy loved being with them all.

Butt scritches for Elmo, and if push ever came to shove Elmo would always be safe, whether it be with me or another person I know.

But we all know Elmo should rightfully stay with his loving owner!!!! Right!!!!
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:50 AM

I don't know you personally but all I can say is that I respect anyone who is doing right by a breed that has done nothing more then being born a certain breed. Making the humans responsible for their own actions is something we need to practice in every aspect of our world!

Someone passed along this quote to me and I have decided to live by it...

Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Danae de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 2 years
U2 de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 4 years
Black Shadow's Sequoia ~ 16 mths
Black Shadow's Rowan ~ 16 mths
VonBrenden's Golden Cyrus (Rottweiler) ~ 8 years
Raine (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 11 years
Hi-Jinx (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 5 years

http://www.blackshadowcanecorso.com/

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSCC View Post
Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Very well said and that is exactly how I live my life.

People come and people go. I just hope that the people here are those that can identify with this dilemma and respect the emotional turmoil that goes with it.

Yes it's the law, but as I stated before, most people do not have bad intentions in cases like this. It is one of raw emotion and conflicting internal dilemma. It is hurtful and heart wrenching. There should be somesort of compassion here.
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Holy smokes, I can't believe anybody on here would make a call to report a dog if it was in a wonderful home I do know for a fact that some passersby will run and call the police if they see a pittie not muzzled. Please take care, erykah

Perhaps this whole thread should be deleted for the dog's sake ????

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 14th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I have been asked by OP that this thread stay open and I have been asked to delete some posts not by the OP which I have done as well. I have also deleted some posts related to the deleted posts. If any of these actions concerns anyone, feel free to PM me.

Please let's continue this thread referring to its original intent.

Thanks in advance
Marko - Admin
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
This IS what I am saying. And that example about the possession was a good one. And so very true.

As I have stated, I have 2 family members with pitties. I have co-workers/friends with pitties. And it breaks my heart that these dogs have to wear muzzles. And that they can't run around and play ball/fetch. They can't be dogs.

As for having the "illegal" ones. I know they are trying to help. Yes I know they love them and care for them. But in the end, they are doing more harm then good. Especially when they do get caught. Again, it's the DOG I am thinking about. Cause I know in the end what will happen.

Love4himies, the sad thing is, pitty haters would make up any excuse to call by law about a pitty. Heck if the was sitting on the porch they would call. The Police will only tell the person to call by law. The only time the Police get involved is if there is an attack.

I am very curious that if McGinty owned a pitty, would he have made this ban? And if any family members own one, are they still talking to him. LOL
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
I am very curious that if McGinty owned a pitty, would he have made this ban? And if any family members own one, are they still talking to him. LOL
I dont even think he cares much about any dog, as for family members, I wonder the same thing too. If that was my father/uncle/cousin there is no way in gods green acres I would ever speak to him again, regardless if I owned one or not, just being an animal lover alone would be reason enough to disown someone like him.
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If McGuinty was a dog lover and educated on pitties, no, I don't think he would have passed the law, but would have tried to educate the public. I think he is made of the same material as Bryant and we have seen what material he is made from

Monab, I think police responding to a call about a pittie not muzzled would depend once again on the district. I know for a fact the OPP did respond to a call about a pittie that was not muzzled, but did not do anything wrong or actually meet anybody up close.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)