Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Exclamation Bowel issues

I have a 1 and half year old Lab retriever. He has all of his shots and is generally in good health. He is very active loves running and swimming. He doesnt have any coughs and is in no way lethrgic. However, when I got him he was under nurished and has always had soft to runny bowel movements. He rarely has solid bowel movements. We have him on high quality dog food. We use an omega 3 food.

We try not to give him table food! I am at my wits end.. Is there a food or supliment that might help? Or is this a symptom of something bigger?
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:43 PM

soft, runny and frequent bowel movements is exactly what drove me to try half a dozen dry foods untill eventually settling in on raw feeding, with our gsd.... my guy would poo 5 times a day and it looked like a shapeless pile of slightly melted frozen yogurt.... we tried different brands and the grain free ones like wellness core and origin and even though origin did make it 'slightly' better (one of those 5 poops would be half decent but the rest still bad....) it was still pretty bad, a dog should be pooing with such consistency and frequency....

not knowing what else to try i did some research and decided to give raw a try... it has been two years now and he goes 2 times a day -- same # of times as he eats, and its solid and properly formed...

here is some reading you can do on raw if this is something that ur ready to try:

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/
http://www.rawlearning.com/

also wanted to add -- don't give up -- you have to find the right thing for YOU and your DOG... keep trying different things.... i am sure other member s will have other ideas as well

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried cooked moose burger with rice. I thought it was working but it didn't. I will do research. Maybe I shouldnt have ooked the meat. I have tons of wild meat, elk, moose and deer so if I cam figure this out its worth a try!
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Masha is right, there isn't one solution that will work for every dog, so sometimes it's just a matter of trying different things until you find what works.
Personally, I had to try about 4 different kinds of food until I realized it was the grains that my dog was not able to digest properly. Once I switched to a grain free food, things "firmed up" and he now goes twice a day and it's always good.

Keep in mind that when you're trying new foods, whether it be kibble or raw, make the transition VERY slowly, since your boy obviously has tummy trouble as it is. I'd do it over a month, and then give it another month or so after that to see if it's working or not.

If the stool is particularly runny and diarreha like, then for a couple of meals you should feed a bland diet that's easy to digest. Either boiled chicken and rice, or a baked potato with skin (cooled and mashed).

Good luck. Hopefully you find something soon that works for your boy.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:32 PM

oh and I should note, if you're going to be trying a raw diet, then make sure you never feed it together with the kibble. Each are digested differently and should be fed several hours apart.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks... I am so happy to have found this site! I think I may try a different food option before i try the Raw Foods. He is my empty nest syndrome baby! I really appreciate the feedback.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Lol...one more question...How do I make my profile picture of him. Looks like I have a attached a huge pic of him.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Skylar's Farm

He is gorgeous !!!
It may be an idea to have a stool sample checked for parasites as a precaution, but he looks great.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM

Update: I took the advise of "no grain" and so far so good! Bruno is doing fantastic. I cannot believe the difference in a couple of weeks! Thans again peeps
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Skylar's Farm

Yay, good for you. (and Bruno).
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab_bruno View Post
Update: I took the advise of "no grain" and so far so good! Bruno is doing fantastic. I cannot believe the difference in a couple of weeks! Thans again peeps
I just saw this thread and that's exactly what I would have suggested for you .....I hope the Bruno does continues to do well.