Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 8th, 2006, 11:15 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Thumbs up GREAT NEWS: A victory in Europe for seals

GREAT NEWS
From: Fred O'Regan, International Fund for Animal Welfare
Date: 09/07/06 18:11:50

I have some great news! I want to share with you an important victory in our efforts to close European markets for seal products, a vital step to end Canada’s commercial seal hunt.

The European Parliament has issued a Written Declaration calling for a ban on the import, export and sales of harp and hooded seal products. IFAW and other groups successfully lobbied more than half of all MEPs (Member of the European Parliament) to sign the resolution which will now be forwarded to the European commission and the Council of Ministers.

A European ban will help reduce demand for seal products and send an important message to the Canadian Government that the European Union wants no part in this cruel hunt.

The import of whitecoat harp seal and blueback hooded seal furs and furskin products (taken from pups younger than 2-3 weeks) was banned in Europe in 1983, but sealers now wait a few days until harp seal pups have moulted their white fur to kill them, with 95% of the seals killed still under three months old. The products of these baby seals are still imported into the European Union.

The declaration states that the last time the annual number of seals now being killed were slaughtered in the 1950s and 1960s the seal population was reduced by two thirds. It also states that on average sealers receive less than 5% of their income from sealing which provides only a few days' work each year.

A number of EU countries (Belgium, Luxembourg and Italy) have already taken steps to ban the trade in seal products, and others (the UK and the Netherlands) are considering their own bans.

Please help us keep the momentum going by Taking Action to end the seal hunt today.

Fred O’Regan
President and CEO
IFAW © 2006
Suite 612, 1 Nicholas Street • Ottawa, ON K1N 7B7 • Canada
www.ifaw.org
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM

that is great however, I lived in Europe for 20 years and I’ve never seen any seal products on the market …
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO !!

Now I hope the Canadian government , re-thinks this, and calls for a complete and permanent ban on the seal hunt!!

Oh Chico will be so happy As am I!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~