Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old April 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM

What is my puppy?

Hi,

I'm slightly concerned about my puppy. She is 8 weeks old and looks nothing like a cocker spaniel. Unfortunately I did the stupid thing and took her from a "backyard breeder", who claimed she was a cocker spaniel. I paid no money for her. The mother clearly was cocker, however I believe the father may have been a chihuahua.

She weighs about 3 lbs right now and is 6 1/2 inches. Here are two pictures I just took:

Don't get me wrong. I love Sophie to death, and I will never ever give her up. My only concern is breed-specific diseases and things I should be looking for.

Her anger is a big part of my concern. She seems to be snarling and snapping when she doesn't get her way. She was not socialized properly. The woman told me I had to take her home (she was 5 weeks old) or she would give her to someone else. She had fleas and worms (worms are a given). Since then I have gotten her first set of shots and deworming.

She also used to throw herself at you any time a bag crinkled or you were eating. I have since then convinced her she needs to stay on the ground and eat her own food (I do mix in some home cooked beef or chicken sans spices for her).

I know this is long, but there is just one more thing - She doesn't seem to want to be house broken. I take her outside every hour to let her pee and do her thing, I have tried to pad train her (the woman has said she already was - not so much) and she did not take to it at all. She seems to want to just pee wherever. I just don't know what to do from here.

All input is welcome D:
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikadper View Post
She doesn't seem to want to be house broken.
Of course she ain't , she's just 8 weeks old. Everything you described is typical puppy behavior. She was taking away from her mom at 5 weeks ? That is much too soon ! She will need more patience from you , always remember that it's not her fault , I mean the poor pup , was much too young to be taken away from her mom.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Of course she ain't , she's just 8 weeks old. Everything you described is typical puppy behavior. She was taking away from her mom at 5 weeks ? That is much too soon ! She will need more patience from you , always remember that it's not her fault , I mean the poor pup , was much too young to be taken away from her mom.
I realize it's not her fault, and I feel bad that all of the pups were taken so young. She's very well behaved normally. I've been trying to bring her around my fathers dogs who are smaller and a bit older to teach her how to play properly with other dogs. They do a good job of it.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know what breeds are in her but she's absolutely adorable!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I don't know what breeds are in her but she's absolutely adorable!
She's beautiful, one of the many reasons I'd never give her up! Once I adopt a dog, they're mine for life.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM
-

Quote:
I realize it's not her fault, and I feel bad that all of the pups were taken so young. She's very well behaved normally. I've been trying to bring her around my fathers dogs who are smaller and a bit older to teach her how to play properly with other dogs. They do a good job of it.
That is a good thing to do. To socialize her

I'm sure others will be offering you puppy training tips. Mine were all adopted as adults so I'm no expert on training puppies.
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM
-

Quote:
I've been trying to bring her around my fathers dogs who are smaller and a bit older to teach her how to play properly with other dogs. They do a good job of it.
If memory services, she needs to get her second set of shots before she should be around other dogs or go to dog parks so that her immunizations fully kick-in.

My understanding from other members here is that smaller dogs actually need to remain with the litter/their mothers for a lot longer time than do larger dogs. Again, if memory serves, it's closer to 10-12 weeks than the usual 8 for larger breeds. So, grab all the books, videos and free advice you can about puppy socialization.
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Firstly ensure to bring a stool sample immediately and test for coccidia, giardia, hook worm etc. She should definately be seen by a vet first and farmost if not already done (which I am certain you did). But be specific on the stool testing for the above.

Secondly, it is extremely important to keep her going to your parents house to ensure that she gets proper socialization. Again - ensure that she is free of any parasites or diseases prior to letting her interact with another dog.

Puppies take a while to house train. Time and patience. Frequent outings are required. Take her to the door and say 'outside'..leash her and take her out to do her business..then lots of over the top praising. They cannot control their bladder or bowls over extended periods of time as older dogs can.

I don't know what mix she is but she is absolutely adorable.

I would suggest getting pet insurance since she was purchased at a byb. Protect yourself for the future.
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I can see a little Cocker in her face and ears,but she looks like a mix,adorable though
Usually Cockers have their tails ducked,so this "breeder" is clearly not breeding Cockers.
So sorry the little one was torn from her mom so early,I think you have to be extra patient with her.
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:34 PM

I have had her tested for cocidia. We gave her pills for a week, and had her tested again, and she came back negative which is good. My dad's dogs both have all their shots up to date/have their flea/heart worm medications.

I'm glad her tail was not cut, personally. I simply love her full tail and how when she gets happy she wags it all over. I just hope it doesn't wind up hurting her in the future from such extreme wagging.

Thank you for all the advice - I wish she had been with her momma longer but that woman was insane as it was.
Old April 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM

I would also recommend that you crate train her. I find it is a lot easier to housebreak a dog if you crate train her. And put her on a schedule.

You might want to also consider Puppy Kindergarden. That's also a good way to socializing too.

I find that she looks a bit like a Jack Russel.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM
Doggie Wench

When did she get her first set of vaccinations? Please enroll her in a puppy socialization class that starts after a week of her second set of vaccines. I can't stress enough the importance of her playing with her peers especially since she was removed from mom and litter at such a young age. Visit with your father's dogs as often as possible, at the very least several times a week.

Quote:
Her anger is a big part of my concern. She seems to be snarling and snapping when she doesn't get her way. She was not socialized properly.
Perfectly normal behavior that you would witness between puppies of a litter. It is not true aggression but you do have to deal with it. This is why it's important she gets lots of opportunities to socialize with other dogs and puppies. Exactly when does she snap and snarl?

We have a foster pup who was removed from her family at too young of an age as well. Within two weeks of living with our three adults and one adolescent pup, her snarling "I'm gonna kill everything I can get my teeth on" stage has nearly disappeared altogether. The other dogs are the best to teach her that it's not accepted and are also the best to teach her what's appropriate play. When she latched on to my ankles, an "ouch " and promptly removing myself from her for a minute or two had managed to teach her that it wasn't appropriate with humans either .

Quote:
I know this is long, but there is just one more thing - She doesn't seem to want to be house broken. I take her outside every hour to let her pee and do her thing, I have tried to pad train her (the woman has said she already was - not so much) and she did not take to it at all. She seems to want to just pee wherever. I just don't know what to do from here.
That's perfectly normal as well. At 8 weeks, she's too young to expect her to be housetrained. Consistency and patience will pay off in another 2-3 months. Are you home with her during the day? Where do you keep her when you can't keep an eye on her? Where does she sleep at night?
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:17 PM

She doesn't bite me, anymore - I've done the "ouch!" technique and she responds well to that. She had her shots on the 26th of March and I tried to call today to make an appointment, however she never called me back, so I will try again Saturday.

She snarls and snaps when she's been playing too much and is too riled up and is picked up - A little time in a playpen by herself and she's completely fine after. We try to get her over to my father's as often as possible. We have a 1 1/2 year old cat and a 16 year old dog. My dog is a bit too.. Old, to properly teach her to not bite (she doesn't nip, just tries to get up and walk away from Sophie), and when she's too rough with my cat he attacks her.

It's rare we can't keep an eye on her - If we do, we put her in her crate and she sleeps. She's never alone for more than an hour. Also, she sleeps at night in her crate.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:22 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
It's rare we can't keep an eye on her - If we do, we put her in her crate and she sleeps. She's never alone for more than an hour. Also, she sleeps at night in her crate.
Fantastic! She'll catch on to house training soon enough.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:27 PM
Doggie Wench

I nearly forgot....here's a free download to Ian Dunbar's book, After You Get Your Puppy. A wealth of information for puppy parents. http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AF...ur%20Puppy.pdf

If you go to the main site, there are also lots of wonderful free articles.... www.dogstardaily.com
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Dang, she's really cute!!!!

Been too long since I've had a puppy, so I'll just bow out now and defer to everyone else's wisdom in these matters...but I kept coming to the thread to ooooo and aaaahhhhhh over her pics and eventually the sheer cuteness overload compelled me to jump in. Good luck with your little darling--you've gotten a lot of good advice and I'm looking forward to watching her grow into a lovely lady! (You will, I hope, be posting pictures of each adorable stage in her life? )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:03 AM

she is soooooo cute
enjoy her!!!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Dang, she's really cute!!!!

Been too long since I've had a puppy, so I'll just bow out now and defer to everyone else's wisdom in these matters...but I kept coming to the thread to ooooo and aaaahhhhhh over her pics and eventually the sheer cuteness overload compelled me to jump in. Good luck with your little darling--you've gotten a lot of good advice and I'm looking forward to watching her grow into a lovely lady! (You will, I hope, be posting pictures of each adorable stage in her life? )
Ha-ha! Well said Hazel! Diddo for me too
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM

She is absolutely adorable, if not a little stinker. I put her on my bed for two seconds and she peed this morning. As I was putting her down my brain said "Put her on the floor, not the bed" and sure enough, she peed a bit, but stopped when I picked her up and put her on her puppy pad.

Silly doggy.. She's cute but makes me rage.