Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 10th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Death by Anesthesia - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

On sunday Feb 26 I had my world stop for no reason & I'm wondering how common other people find themselves in the same place I was. I did what I was supposed to do - I rushed my beloved Siberian Husky - Taz to the vet for something that happens around me all the time - he'd been for a run in the county with his dad & had found a porcupine - should be simple & easy & except for him being sore for a few days wasn't supposed to make my world stop! My dog was taken too the local vet with quill's from a porcupine - he went in, was given a shot to calm down & 15 minutes later was knocked out - while under he started to come around & was given another one & then was given gas - I was assured this was normal. Afterward he was given a shot of valium & penicillin & was then sent home. 3 hours later he let out a soft cry, threw his head & stopped breathing. We rushed him back to the vet & were giving him mouth to mouth but were unable to save him. They told us that it could have been a blood clot caused by the medication used to knock him out & that it was actually a common thing to happen.

Does anyone else know of this???
Attached Images

Last edited by Cricket; March 10th, 2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old March 10th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not a vet and don't know about what effects the combination of medications (anesthesia, gas, valium etc) given your dog may have had.

Without a necropsy, it's impossible to know what killed your dog. Death from anesthesia does happen, but I've never heard of it being "common".

Sometimes animals can have hidden defects, like heart trouble, and sometimes too much anesthetic is given, but usually the animal dies on the table.

If you really want to know what is responsible for this, a necropsy is the only way.

I'm so VERY sorry for your shocking loss.
Old March 10th, 2006, 02:14 PM

I was to put it bluntly so shell shocked that I couldn't have it done - I thought that he had been thru enough that I didn't want him to have any more pain - we had tried for half an hour at the vets to bring him back. I had him cremated & just got him back this morning.
Old March 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I am very sorry for your loss, losing a young dog is really tough and I can understand your wanting to understand what went wrong and why.

Actually anesthesia deaths are pretty rare, majority of the vets today use human grade anesthesias and they usually are well tolerated, Sometimes there are other reasons involved , for example malignant hyperthermia which can be an allergic reaction to certain anesthesias or a dog may have blood clottings where their blood fails to clot properly, I have one grey that has both these problems, so more planning and monitoring is needed to get her thru surgeries safely.
I don't know if Huskies have any general known issues with certain anesthesias products use, some breeds have drug sensitivities and certain drugs are no-no's for them.

This article does relate to greyhounds but is does mention many of the different drugs and gases commonly used during anesthesia, you may find it helpful to reasearch the side effects of various drugs to maybe find out what one may have caused the clot or possibly just to have as info so that you can discuss various anesthesia protocols with a vet in the event should you have other dogs or would like to get another in the future, it may help you feel more comfortable knowing what each drug does and how well it is tolerated by animals, the article is called "Demystifying Anesthesia" and in PDF format

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com/library.htm

It is written by one of the vets at this clinics website, listed under "doctors" Dr. William E. Feeman it has his email addy on that page, if you find out exactly what drugs where given to Taz, he may be able to explain what may have caused the clotting and if there is a safer alternative, he is pretty good about answering questions from pet owners.
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:51 PM

Thank you for the information - it was very informative. Although I don't think that we will ever really know what happened - when / if I get another dog (Taz was an only child) that I will be asking alot more questions & not just assuming that because someone is the 'Vet' that they know what's best or that I'll so willingly place my baby in their hands again.
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:47 PM

I too am very sad for you, after what happened to us three weeks ago. But during any treatment at the vet, we had to sign a disclaimer if the boy was to be put under, stating that we had been made aware of the risks involved.
Sadly, Woody didn't quite make it to the vets so we will remain in ignorance.
Our thoughts are with you
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:46 AM

OntairoGreys: please let me thank you again for the information that you sent me - it was very informative.

I did send the vet you suggested an email explaining everything that had happened & he responded back to me & although he wasn't able to explain why it happened - was able to helped ease my mind some. I realize that I'll never know why my angel was taken so young - at least I know that I did everything that I could for him.

Thank you again!!
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry for Taz. I own a Mastiff and they cannot be given the same anethesia as most dogs because bottom line it can kill them. So when Buddy had surgery I was very worried even though I brought my vet info and all kinds of links to info on the proper anesthesia for him. My vet openly admitted that he did not deal with a lot of giant breeds but was happy to learn more about them. Buddy came out of surgery fine. But I think we need to be as educated as possible regarding our pets.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Anesthetic related deaths are devastating to owners and veterinary staff.

Without a post-mortem you would not know the exact cause of death. There may have been underlying cardiac disease that was unmasked with anesthesia: cardiac arrhythmias can be induced by drugs that irritate the heart muscle or interfere with the pacemaker system of the heart. A blood clot could have been formed under these circumstances: impaired heart contractility/rhythm allows for the formation of clots. Prior blood testing/ x-ray films/ultrasound probably would not have shown this tendency.

Heart biopsy may have revealed the problem, but is not realistic as a pre-screening device for anesthesia. The mortality/morbidity would be too high a risk to be used as a screening device.

Anesthetic deaths are usually very low statistically, but if it is your pet, then it is profoundly painful.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I am not evn going to attempt to write your username,.I just wanted to say,I am really,really sorry you lost your pupand under those circumstances.
It really makes me worry about having any of my cats put under.
Sorry sweet Tilly
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM

One of my friends lost a dog the same way at a sled race. For some bizzar reason a porccupin appeared on the trail and many dogs were hit. We usually pull the quills ourselves but one dog was hit in the eye and sent to a local vet. It had an ellergic reaction to the anaethsetic and died. Some huskies have reactions to anaethsetics and penicillin type antibiotics. Who knows, maybe that had something to do with what happened to you.

Loosing a dog is devastating. --Kelly
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:02 AM

I have lost all the faith in my vet, the whole experience has just been a massive learning curve for me. Everything leading upto her death was just wrong, everything could have been done better.

I'm just glad we gave her a good send off...
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Like in every profession some are better than others. I prefer country vets or one's with large animal experience. they tend to be more practical and more inclined to use their brains rather than rely exclusively on expensive testing.

I've also learned never to choose a professional randomly but to get a referral from a friend or neighbour.

Kelly
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:10 AM

Anesthesia Bad for Siberian Huskies?

Hi Cricket, I am very sorry for the loss of your dear husky Taz. I have a Siberian Husky now and had 2 years ago who have passed away.
My cat died instantly when he received a small dose of anesthesia and a friend of mine whose dog was 10, went to the vet to have his teeth cleaned to prevent heart problems. He died receiving anesthesia and after he died, the vet told her that it happens. I don't understand how he could say that so bluntly. You lose your beloved pet and then they tell you it happens!? My new vet stated that dogs & cats should receive a blood test prior to see if they can handle or will have a reaction to it.
QUESTION ABOUT MY HUSKY!!!
I am currently very concerned about my husky I just adopted, fostered her, she had the best temperament a dog could have. Decided to adopt her so they immediately had her spayed and vaccinated and microchipped. When I picked her up at the vet she was happy to see me, but then got very frightened and started moving from side to side once I opened the door to leave the vet. Sort of like the got scared it felt something either physically or mentally. Got her to leave, then she saw my mom by the car and went running to greet her, when she got about two feet from the car, she started doing the same thing. Stopped in her tracks then pulled from side to side. Get her home and she is like a different dog from when I fostered her. Once she got into the house, she was jumping and was very wild. Her pupils stayed dilated quite a bit even it light. She was very bad at first. Fixating, showing her teeth, very aggressive about strange things. Like moving a table, not with her food or toys. I have had huskies and now they are bossy, but they usually have good temperament. I have had her for a month and I've been training her, but she still shows aggressiveness at times for no reason that usually would cause aggressiveness.
MY QUESTION: She was first being boarded at a vet before I fostered her, could they have been giving her something to keep her calm and this is just her real personality?
She was not given a blood test to see if she was allergic to anesthesia Could it have caused a mental problem in her? My friend had chow who had a bad mental reaction to anesthesia. Has anyone heard of Siberian Huskies having this problem?
I really appreciate anyone responding to my question. I am so upset. She has a sweet personality, is so smart , I LOVE HER!!! It makes me sick to think that something went wrong at the vet and could have been prevented. I'm training her, but I have to really watch her when she gets in her mood.
Perhaps it could just be the person who left her in the streets abused her. The reason for so many troubled dogs.
Thank you!!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:10 AM
Senior Contributor

This could also be a reaction to the vaccines or something else they gave her (such as flea or heartworm medicine), but I don't know much other than what I've been reading lately on this board about drug reactions/seizures, so hopefully someone that has more info will post.

Btw, if you search the board for "seizures" "drug reactions" or similar you should find some posts that have links to more info.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM

How long after picking her up did this continue? If it stopped soon after, she might just have been on a bad trip from the sedatives.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthyanimal
Has anyone heard of Siberian Huskies having this problem?
I have a siberian husky and he is my third and I've never had a problem like this. I would take her to the vet to have a full blood panel done. Good luck and please post with an update.
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM

My middle aged, mixed terrier (55lb) just had 3 teeth removed due to root exposure. I adopted him a year ago and they estimated that his age at that time Max was 5. Since the surgery he has not been the same dog, he is lethargic, he doesn't seem aware of things unless they are on top of him (he doesnt' hear the door open and my very loud sister come in until she's in the kitchen yelling!)he just seems depressed and mopey and he is usually full of energy to go for a walk when his dog walker came he layed down in front of her that NEVER happens. He isn't chasing squirrels!!!! What could be wrong? I was giving him Rimadyl, but read the side effects and stopped that. It helped but he is still lethargic. I know this is the exact opposite of your problem, but how long did it take your dog to recover? I took him to the vet and they said maybe he had an infection so give him clavamox. I just want my dog back the way he was!
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodysmom View Post
My middle aged, mixed terrier (55lb) just had 3 teeth removed due to root exposure. I adopted him a year ago and they estimated that his age at that time Max was 5. Since the surgery he has not been the same dog, he is lethargic, he doesn't seem aware of things unless they are on top of him (he doesnt' hear the door open and my very loud sister come in until she's in the kitchen yelling!)he just seems depressed and mopey and he is usually full of energy to go for a walk when his dog walker came he layed down in front of her that NEVER happens. He isn't chasing squirrels!!!! What could be wrong? I was giving him Rimadyl, but read the side effects and stopped that. It helped but he is still lethargic. I know this is the exact opposite of your problem, but how long did it take your dog to recover? I took him to the vet and they said maybe he had an infection so give him clavamox. I just want my dog back the way he was!
Rhodysmom - I think you should open your own thread. It will get the attention it deserves more so than putting it here. You could tell us when the operation was done. That would be helpful to know.
Personally, if it were my dog I would be on the phone with the vet making an appt asap. Just my
Thanks.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:48 AM
-

I agree Rhodysmom. See that yellow triangle with the exclamation mark on your post? Click on that as it will send the message you key in directly to a Mod. Give them a suitable title and ask them to move your post to its own thread.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM

Death by Anesthesia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
On sunday Feb 26 I had my world stop for no reason & I'm wondering how common other people find themselves in the same place I was. I did what I was supposed to do - I rushed my beloved Siberian Husky - Taz to the vet for something that happens around me all the time - he'd been for a run in the county with his dad & had found a porcupine - should be simple & easy & except for him being sore for a few days wasn't supposed to make my world stop! My dog was taken too the local vet with quill's from a porcupine - he went in, was given a shot to calm down & 15 minutes later was knocked out - while under he started to come around & was given another one & then was given gas - I was assured this was normal. Afterward he was given a shot of valium & penicillin & was then sent home. 3 hours later he let out a soft cry, threw his head & stopped breathing. We rushed him back to the vet & were giving him mouth to mouth but were unable to save him. They told us that it could have been a blood clot caused by the medication used to knock him out & that it was actually a common thing to happen.

Hi Cricket, I'm not sure if your still a member of these boards but I have just lost my border collie, Tilly, of 9 years, so suddenly to the same medication & under the exact same circumstances as you. The worst thing about it is, on the morning of her death she was a picture of health & the operation to remove an abscess on the back of her leg wasn't necessary, so my beautiful dog would be still here today.

After an long, extensive & expensive post mortem (with a different vet), a vet who wasn't out to line his pockets, fag, she had a hidden systemic disease which was in no way documented to me before the operation. It started with toxaemia, severe dehydration, kidney failure & finally heart failure, all down to the aesthesia. The pathologist gave me a 95% assurance this was the exact cause of death. I think Husky could have gone under similiar circumstances.

Last edited by $ick3ninvend3ta; February 3rd, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Cricket ,
I read your post and it brought tears to my eyes, I am so very very sorry for your loss. I would be so very sad if I lost my little buddy.

I found this forum because I am sitting next to my Corgi Teddy I just picked up from a vet that yesterday agreed to remove a small lump from his rear and clean his teeth all in one deal. When I picked him up I was very upset that the doctor did not clean his teeth.

I really dont want to put Teddy under a anesthesia mpe than necessary. I dont know if I am out of line by being upset. I want to write the doctor a letter telling him my opinion and feelings.

Here is Teddy, all groggy from just coming home. You can see his booty stitches.
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Zel

I happened upon this website after thinking about my cocker spaniel who died 3 years ago this month after a bupivacaine shot. She too dropped down onto the floor letting out a wrenching sound. I still can't stand to remember it. Cardiopulmonary arrested, I tried to revive her. The nearest vet was too far away. I believe if the anesthetic or drug isn't safe it should not be used. What are the regulatory bodies doing about these matters? This is a medical profession whether it is to treat humans or animals. I'm appalled at the seeming lack of regard for the efficacy and safety of the medical care our animals receive in this society not to mention those who escape prosecution for the tormenting, neglect and abuse of them. I once produced a tape recording of a tenant in a building where I lived (who was disturbing and teasing my dog while I was at work) to the landlord and to the local police. So much for justice and medical care for animals. l miss my animal, still. In loving memory of my beautiful Zelda.
Old July 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM

My beautiful husky passed away 9th july 2011

Hi i dont know if you will see this message or even come on the site anymore,I came across your message when i was searching for information on death by anesthesic..My beautiful husky Kiera went for an xray..she came out of tghe anesthesic on the thurs..was fine on the friday and then on the sat morning let of this scary scream..i ran over to her thinking she was having a nightmare but she kept doing it ..and then she stopped breathing and was gone..I cant seem to accept she was gone just like that..she had been having an xray due to what was thought to be mammary cancer which had only surfaced two weeks prior..i was worried about her going under and not waking up..i was so relief when we picked her up and now our world as been crushed..the canny thing about this is that our Kiera is the spitting image of Taz except for the snow nose and she had 2 blue eyes...she was also born in 2004..she is the same colour ,markings ect..I keep searching online looking for answers ect ..Cant believe our beatiful girl as gone .I just wondered if you do see this whether you found out anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

Old July 19th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurzbabe View Post
Hi i dont know if you will see this message or even come on the site anymore,I came across your message when i was searching for information on death by anesthesic..My beautiful husky Kiera went for an xray..she came out of tghe anesthesic on the thurs..was fine on the friday and then on the sat morning let of this scary scream..i ran over to her thinking she was having a nightmare but she kept doing it ..and then she stopped breathing and was gone..I cant seem to accept she was gone just like that..she had been having an xray due to what was thought to be mammary cancer which had only surfaced two weeks prior..i was worried about her going under and not waking up..i was so relief when we picked her up and now our world as been crushed..the canny thing about this is that our Kiera is the spitting image of Taz except for the snow nose and she had 2 blue eyes...she was also born in 2004..she is the same colour ,markings ect..I keep searching online looking for answers ect ..Cant believe our beatiful girl as gone .I just wondered if you do see this whether you found out anymore.
Cricket hasn't been on this site for a couple of years. I have no experience with this type of situation, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Kiera.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Oh ok and thankyou very much x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
Cricket hasn't been on this site for a couple of years. I have no experience with this type of situation, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Kiera.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss if Kiera, spurzbabe. I know what a hard thing it is to lose a furbaby.

Kiera

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss if Kiera, spurzbabe. I know what a hard thing it is to lose a furbaby.

Kiera
Thankyou very much