Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 20th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Rottie owner and lover

He starts today....

Well it has finally come, the long awaited advanced OB class. Yeah !!!! we both can not wait. He was never happy in the ring, but the second he gets to show off his intelligence, he becomes MR somebody. LOL
We go there tonight at 7pm. And our now biggest challenge is and will be is dog to dog on leash. OB stuff he is great. But the fight has really changed him.
I know it will never stop now, but I need to gain control, and allow him to do something he enjoys and can focus on.
Wish us luck tonight
Old February 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Agility Addict

Good luck and have fun!

Dodger and I are currently in Advanced II Obedience...I'd be interested in hearing what you guys will be covering in your class!

My dog isn't comfortable around other dogs when he is on-leash either. The good thing is that you are at an obedience class, you are all there to work and should be more knowledgeable and respectful about keeping an appropriate distance etc...

I hope all goes well!
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Rottie owner and lover

we will be covering hand signals. Which harley already does. Recall with lots of distractions, walking beside you without a leash, and more....
Recall is one thing we must work on. Being a male, he gets highly distracted. LOL
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
Rottie owner and lover

update

Ok, well we had the first class, and man am I a very proud momma. Remember how I said he now can be aprehensive around males. More unpredictable. Well last night, the second he walked into class He ignored them all. Very focused at the tasks at hand.. Ready and willing to please me, listening to everything I asked of him.
I really think he has found his calling, and that is OB. He loves it, and really focuses on me, waiting to give him another command. I am very proud of him, we have come so far, and will be continuing.
The trainer said becareful when you have them in a down stay, not to stare at them because the will think they have to come to you. Well That is how Harley and I trained, by focusing on me at all times, and he did the best in the class. Along with another male rottweiler who also was trained the same way. ( I taught the owner that )....We will keep you posted, and I see a CGN title in his future, and a CD
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM
-

Sounds like you had fun, and I am happy to hear that you are working through his issues. Is this trainer able to help you out with his issues.
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Rottie owner and lover

she said that if she thought he had issues than she would, she really thinks that he is a great dog who after the attack has been alittle jumpy. But in class he shows such great restraint. Never even barked at another dog.
If he reacts while in class, she will help me deal with it. She said he just needed me to be more confident in him. With this class that just passed, he proved to me it was mostly me. I was the one lacking in confidence in him.
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:06 AM
-

That is great to hear and probably the best place for both of you to gain that confidence.
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM
Agility Addict

Woohoo! I am glad everything went well! Harley sounds like a great dog to work with! Why stop at CD, from the sounds of it, Harley could easily get his UDX!!!

Dodger and I are going for our CGN in 2 weeks !
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I have to wait because here in montreal there seems to be only one place that holds them. They do not know when they will be doing it, but they said it should be soon enough. I can not wait.
We will see how far we can take it
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you also thought of doing SchH with him?
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:27 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I have he loves the game, but he does understand when to shut off. After we tried it, he went for someones arm. Not aggressively to continue the game, with no sleeve. Maybe once we finish OB 2 he will be more mature, and figure out when to turn off.