Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Pet Guardian

Cat-anal gland rupture

I'm waiting on a phone call from the vet telling me that Aubrie is ready to come home. Yesterday when I got home from Thanksgiving dinner (at which one of the things I said I was thankful for was the health of my pets), Aubrie looked sad, so I picked her up and cuddled her for awhile. After I put her down, I happened to be looking down, and noticed blood on my shirt. Got Aubrie, turned her upside down and had a look at her bum--and saw a mess. Got a warm wash cloth and cleaned her up a little and discovered a nasty-looking abcess. Phoned the vet clinic closest to me to see if they were open today (stat holiday), and the message didn't say anything about holidays, so I tucked Aubrie into the bathroom for the night and waited for the morning. Turns out the vet clinic nearest me isn't open on holidays (will have to tell them to say that in their message!), so I ended up taking her to the emergency clinic. There, the vet diagnosed her with an anal gland rupture. It abcessed to the outside of her. She is 9 years old and never had any problems with anything, so this came as bit of a shock. I know that they'll take good care of her, and she should be home soon, with all that nastiness cleaned out, and a cone on her head, and antibiotics. But what I'm wondering is... will I have to express the other anal gland regularly now? Will this thing now leak anal gland fluid out a hole next to her bum, forever?
Anyone been through this with a dog or cat? What can I expect?

Thanks,
Melissa
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Dogmelissa,
I am only a junior member and would never assume I know more than a trained animal doctor. I have had some experience with anal gland secretion on a male dog. From my experience and my vet told me, leakage can occur in later life. I would never express an animals glands myself, I would leave that to a professional because of the damage inexperience can do. There is surgery that can repair damage depending on the extent. My advice is to listen to your vet. Hope this helps....
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Pet Guardian

Aubrie is home, and looking extremely pathetic in her cone, but otherwise seems to be doing quite well. She is purring and though I know she's not physically comfortable, she's just as affectionate as she normally is. Poor thing wants to lick her bum, but can't. She is on Clavamox 62.5mg twice a day for 10 days and something for the pain (forgot what it is right now). I'm not really looking forward to giving her the pills, but I know it's for her own good, so I will find a way.

Still curious to hear from anyone else who has been through this with a cat or dog. A dog was just coming in when I was picking up Aubrie who had the same problem, so it's not rare! Anyone?

Melissa
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Sorry to hear about the anal glad problem. My daughters 3 lb. chi just had this happen to her this summer. It actually left quite a hole and it did clear up nicely with the meds. and pain medication. She did have to go back to the vets for a second visit because it didnt heal with just the one round of antibiotics. We did soak her kibble in warm water and give her canned, so that she would be more comfortable with her bowel movements. She is around 7 years old and has only had this problem once. Good luck,I am sure your girl will feel a lot better when she gets home.
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM
-

I've never had this problem (wish there was a "touch wood smilie") but I just wanted to say to give Aubrie a hug.
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
I've never had this problem (wish there was a "touch wood smilie") but I just wanted to say to give Aubrie a hug.
Thanks mama samoan & rainbow. Aubrie appreciates the hugs and is well on her way to a (hopefully) full recovery. The vet that I took her to for her recheck said she is doing very well and within a week I won't even know she ever had a problem. She also said that most animals who have this problem it comes on totally unexpectedly, completely out of the blue, and without symptoms until it's ruptured, and once it's cleared up, in most cases it never reoccurs (on either side). That's *very* good news.

Aubrie's rear is looking good and she's eating, drinking, peeing & pooping normally. She is looking forward to being allowed out of "quarantine" and of being done her antibiotics.

Thanks all!
Melissa