Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 9th, 2012, 08:20 PM

Rapid Respiration & weight loss

I am fostering a cat that was treated for a urinary tract infection. She was skin and bones when I got her - only 4.5 pounds. Her fur is very greasy. I noticed at times her respiration is fast so I timed it - 80 breaths/minute. I understand cats should be 20-30. I called the vet and was told that the cat has asthma.

The cat does not appear in distress so I wonder if it is really asthma. My feelinng is that she has an underlying condition. I am going to ask to get a second opinion. Does anyone have any other ideas of what it could be. Kidney disease, diabetes, cancer?

The cat will eat in very small amounts - maybe 4 teaspoons 4 times per day. Sometimes it takes her a while to eat the whole teaspoonful. All she does is sleep but she will get up at times. She loves to be petted and combed.
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm no expert on kitties, Teeko, but Google hyperthyroidism in cats. The symptoms seem to match.

I hope you get some answers with the second opinion and thank you for caring enough about the little darling to get a second opinion in the first place!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Any idea how old the kitty is?

I would definitely take her in for a second opinion to another vet. How did the first vet diagnose asthma, and what exactly was his plan for treating it?

Fast breathing can be a sign of pain, amongst other things (for instance, if it's extremely hot where you are, she could be trying to cool down).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler