Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM

Question Reaction to shots?

My dog Magic got 3 shots last night at the vet's: rabies, bordatella (kennel cough) and her booster. She was amazing, didn't make one little peep. The vet said she'd be a bit sore in the areas of the needles and tired over the next day.

This morning when I woke up, she was on my bed (she sleeps with us) and I moved her closer to me and she cried out in pain, and continued whimpering for about 30 seconds. Then I noticed she was shaking really bad, but I don't know if she had been shaking already or if it was because she was in pain? She started panting as well. Does anyone know if she could be having a bad reaction to the vaccinations? I just called home and she's in the same spot that I left her - in her bed, and she's been sleeping the whole time. She's not shaking though. I hope she's OK
Magic - black mixed Shih Tzu, Chihuahua, Malteze, Bichon (bn Feb 19/08)
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You might want to at least call the vet and let them know what's happening. Likely it's just the vaccinations, but they'll want to know that Magic is having an unpleasant reaction. They may schedule vaccinations differently in the future to prevent it.

Because we've had similar reactions in the past, we now make sure that the dogs get their rabies vaccination alone instead of in combo. It's a hassle because it means multiple trips to the vet, but they do tend to feel it much less if the vaccinations are spread out some.

In the states, the rabies vaccinations are the only ones required by law--not sure what is required there. Have you considered dropping the booster (I'm assuming that was the distemper/parvo/etc one?) and using a titer instead from here on out? Titers are a bit pricey, but they can tell you if another vaccination is unnecessary and save some wear-and-tear on your dog's immune system. Now that your dog has received her booster, she may be good to go for many years.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:32 PM
You can call me DOG!

Ironically Bluecatt, we just went through a similar experience and posted my previous thread about this. In any event, you may want to touch base with your vet like Hazelrunpack advised if Magic is still showing signs of discomfort.

Good luck!

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64626

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How was Magic when you got home tonight, Bluecatt? Better, I hope!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."