Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 30th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Question Found Maltese Dog

I have recently become the new owner of a stray maltese dog. My husband and I are concerned about her though. The local vet and ourselves believe she was used in a puppy mill - and discarded when they were done with her. She now has problems that include fever, nausea. We would be interested to know if this is normal in their breed for females in heat or going into heat. We have never had an unfixed female, we have no idea if this is normal or not. If it isn't could she possibly have these symptoms because she is used to being pregnant?

Thank you

Punchbug
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Are you keeping the dog? Wonderful that you are caring for her.

Please get her spayed now that you have her, to prevent illness not just litters.

Shameful someone dumped her but then if they didn't, you wouldn't have her and she would not have a nice home!

There are so many reasons why dogs can get sick, like with us.
How long have you had her now? It could be anxiety and stress.

How do you know she has a fever?
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Hey there punchbag... well congratulations on taking on this maltese she is very lucky to have you and welcome to the wonderful world of furbabies!

I have a Maltese who is in her first heat at the moment but besides being a little bit too hormonal and em how should we put it ... jumping on everything she sees! she is fine...

Did your vet give you anything for this nausea? How long has she had it? Maltese can become very delicate dogs if they are mollycoddled to much or if they have been mistreated... there is a site specifically for maltese

www.malteseonly.com

they have a forum there that deals with all things specific to maltese and I'm sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.

I would bring her back to the vet again and get her fully checked out - ask the vet as many questions you can about the nausea... does she have diarreaha too? If so make sure she is drinking lots of water... also you can try her on a little brown rice - it settles their stomaches

It will take her a few days to settle in either way and things maybe just on top of her at the moment so give her some tlc and let her know her new home is much better than the last place!

Maltese love chicken so if she goes off her food grate a little chicken into the brown rice and ease her back into her normal diet...
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Go read your other post, we'll continue this on one thread so tis not confusing pls .