Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM

Question Chow Puppy to Dog??

Hey there, when should I switch Thai from puppy to adult food?? He will be a year old on February 22nd, 2005. He is a smooth chow chow. He is about 51lbs now. Good skin. Good coat. Good eyes. Great teeth. No health concerns.

Just wondering what the census is as to when to change from puppy to adult food. He gets Nutro Natural Choice, Large breed, chicken and rice chunks in gravy wet, and also the same Nutro Natural Choice chicken and rice dry kibble.

So what do you all think... Is it when he turns one?? Or am I late in switching already?? I know chows tend to mature slowly... But what do you think??

I will call the vet this week to find out her opiniion.. just wondered what you all thought...
Thanks
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:11 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I switched my dog from puppy food to adult food when he was a year old. I bought adult food and mixed it in with his puppy food as to not change it all at once because this could upset their tummy.
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Lightbulb Already Buying Adult food....

I have been picking up a few cans of the adult wet food every time we go to the pet store to get puppy....So I have quite a few of the adult food cans now... Sometimes here in Kitchener they go on sale... regular price is 1.69 per can... and they put them on sale once every couple of months for .99 cents a can... so I usually stock up at that time! Thanks fo your opinion. I appreciate it.
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:03 PM
banned user

Does anyone remember the story in the link below? I loved it so much.... I saved it. :love:

Here is proof positive that they can think!

UPDATE: The BBC Web site is reporting that more than 300 phone calls have poured into the Battersea shelter since Red's talents have been made public, and all have offered the dog a home. The staff will select the best home possible for the clever pooch.
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I switched my dogs to adult when they were 6 months old.
Old January 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Hi
I think it depends on the size of dog.. I heard that if you keep a large Puppy ( GSD ) on puppy chow for too long, they will starve to death, and if you keep them on puppy chow for large breeds too long, they will have health problems later on in life.. Kuma was on regular food at 4 months old.
He's now on Beneful ( chicken and beef ) lamb and rice dog chow and 10 vitamins a day ( 10 for his weight )
Eats better than mom

Maybe consult your vet.