Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Thundershirts

Saw a really neat news blurb this am on the Thundershirts. I've heard of them and read where people have used them with great success but never actually saw it in action.

They put one on what looked like a Border Collie with barking and going nuts at the door issues. Then had someone knock on the door, there was another dog and it barked a little to announce but not a peep out of the BC, no jumping and leaping either, damn that's cool!! Then they showed another little dog that had a heck of a time settling and listening to commands. The trainer would ask for a sit and the dog would sit for a split second and then up again, same with a down, down then would pop up. They put a shirt on him and tried the commands again, totally different. The dog remained in the sit and the down. Pretty neat stuff. Now I'm really tempted to try this on Bayley. She does have onleash dog aggression and this may help her stay calm and not fly off the handle.

Anybody else use one of these?
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

nope but i could use 2 of them... maybe three if i can get one to fit the husband...lol

found more info here

http://www.thundershirt.com/HowItWorks/

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else

Last edited by Shaykeija; February 21st, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I sent a message to my friend, a former member of this page for her beagle Spencer, he has SA something terrible!!! so she went out that night (wednesday) and purchased it, she was going to use it this weekend and let us know how it went...stay tuned
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I have one for Sasha and it really helps to calm her down during a thunderstorm. She is pretty calm most of the time and only needs it then. They really work.....I highly reccommend getting one for your dogs. patti
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:46 PM

Patty\
I am thinking of getting one for Scruffy just when we go to the vet, but it might calm him down at other times too. Am curious to see if it works for you.
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:11 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I think it would be a worthwhile investment. They're not all that expensive so I think I'll measure Miss Bayley and order her one. I haven't seen them in any stores here. The one I go to, I'll have to check they carry alot of neat stuff.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Catlover2

Hmmmm, this Thundershirt is really fascinating. I wonder if it works on cats?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Hmmmm, this Thundershirt is really fascinating. I wonder if it works on cats?
Good idea. I don't know that it would though, cats don't really like to be held for comfort like dogs would. We have them where I work and they are quite popular, but super expensive. Maybe I can see if they will let me bring the trial one home for my cat?

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I learned something new today. If you buy a thundershirt and it does not work you can donate it to a shelter/spca/humane society and get a receipt from them and the thundershirt company will forward a refund to you. These really work, I have seen wuite a few dogs now with them on and the change in them is really positive. patti
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Well that's very cool. I should have a good chunk of money from my income tax, and Bayley's birthday was yesterday so it will be a good b'day present for her!! I just realized I forgot her b'day was yesterday...baaaddd mommy!! I was worried about Nino, and went to look at a house and completely forgot!
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Thunder shirt

I have 3 mini schnauzers. My female is terrified of thunder and fireworks.
Bought a thunder shirt and now she sleeps thru storms. This past week end was marvelous for her. I would highly recommend them in fact I am getting two more for my guys.

Old July 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Wow this is super interesting! It reminds me of Temple Grandin's methodology/inventions for applying bodily pressure on barnyard animals to relieve their stress.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM

I got a Thundershirt for Cassidy, my noise-fearful Scottie. I did some research before getting the shirt and Marko is correct. Temple Grandin's work did inspire this jacket.

Cassidy is afraid of thunder, gunshots and fireworks. From our experience, the shirt is not a miracle cure, but it does help. The key for me is getting the shirt on Cassidy before the noise starts. She still runs and hides in her safe spot and trembles some, but once in her comfort spot, she lays down and goes to sleep. Once the noise stops, she comes out of hiding. Without the shirt, she shakes constantly, drools and is so agitated, even in her hiding place. If I can watch the weather radar and get the shirt on her before the storm or before I know fireworks will happen in my area, it helps. Since I can't predict when the neighbors do their target practice, I've had minimal luck with gunshots. It is a product worth trying and requires no medicating the dog. The only drawbacks I can find is the shirt restricts some movement (very slight) and it can make the dog hot. I make sure her safe room is well-air conditioned and she has access to cool, fresh water.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I heard about them last year - too late to use for 4th of July then. We had to take Corky and Den-Den in for fitting. They had one in Den-Den's size (S)and measured Corky to order one for him. It came. We picked it up and saved both shirts for this year. Monday, we tried to put Corky's on and it was way too small! Den-Den isn't as nervous as Corky, as well as his hearing isn't as good as he's gotten older. We put his shirt on Corky and tried to make it snug enough. It helped but not as greatly as we had hoped. We stayed indoors with the windows closed, all 3 TVs turned up loud, and all interior doors closed to try to create barriers to the sounds outside. We got through the night. Den-Den was fine. So now, a year later, we're going to take that XXS thundershirt back and hope we can get an appropriate size for him - for NEXT year!

FYI - The package says XXS is for dogs less than 12 lbs. XS is for 10-18 lbs.
S is for 15-25 lbs. Den-Den is 15 lbs and his size S fits. Corky is only 7 lbs but I guess he needs a XS !!??