Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:15 PM

Vet help for my White Shepherd

My 12 year old female white shepherd has just been diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia :sad: A friend at a dog park has mentioned that there are some Vet's who do "shot's" that can help our girl.

Does anyone know anything about this? Also, our Vet does not seem pro-active on Hip Dysplasia care and has told us we have few options due to her age. Does anyone have a Vet in the Burlington/Hamilton, Ontario area they would recommend or have had good experience with. We have no idea where to look for such help. I would hope there is some help somewhere out there, we feel helpless.........

Thanks for any help............
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM

I'm not sure my regular vet would do much at that age either, but have you considered a holistic vet who might be able to help through acupuncture, etc? If you're interested, I can give you the name of ours, she's located in Millgrove which is kind of north of Burlington/Hamilton.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM

Thank you, I would appreciate that........
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM

Her name is Lisa Burgess, (905) 690-4557. She's really wonderful and has helped us out with several issues. She's a mobile vet too, but I'm not sure exactly what her range is - we've both gone to her and had her come here.

Good luck!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:52 PM

Thank you so much!!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is your dog very symptomatic, Polar Bear?

I know that HD can be a devastating diagnosis, but it really isn't a death sentence. It can be managed, even in older dogs like your girl.

We've had very good results with glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for joint problems.

Also, watch her weight--a little on the light side of normal is much easier on the joints than being overweight or even on the heavy side of normal.

Moderate exercise is good--and if you can find a low impact activity (like swimming, if she'll tolerate water), that would be very beneficial.

And anti-inflammatory drugs can be used when she overdoes it or seems particularly painful. There is one that can be injected--but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. Senility rears its ugly head again someone who remembers it will jump in soon. However, it's not a cure for HD, just a drug to mitigate some of the symptoms.

Best wishes for you and your girl, Polar Bear

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM
-

I'm with Hazel on the "Hang On There Pardner, I've Seen The Forest and I Know a Tree When I See One" diagnosis.

Dyplasia is actually not easy to diagnose. You can't do it by sight or by feel (though I did know a Vet who was a thousand years and could do just that along with many other apparent "miracles"). It is, however, frequently diagnosed or should I say mis-diagnosed. It's something I've come to know quite a little bit about. My grrrl Ceili (who is likely bigger than your female GSD) was diagnosed with dyplasia when she was four (or five?) and she's still going strong at nine. Not without problems mind you.

What tests: x-rays, ultrasounds etc have been done? The "shots" you may have heard about are steroids. There are also Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory prescribed drugs (NSAIDS) like Metacam which can help.

Glucosamine/ MSM/ Chondroitin supplements is another approach which may help. And there are others which have positive clinical finding. If you do a "search" on this site, you will find that I along with others have posted a whole whack of articles and postson the subject.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:03 AM
-

The "shots" your friend mentioned may have been Cartrophen Vet injections.

http://www.arthritis.au.com/pain/pain_mast.htm

http://www.labradornet.com/medication.html
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Thank you all for the help and kind comments.

She seems to be sore and slow the day after a walk. We have had to cut back on the length of her walks as well. I now have to lift her into the SUV as she can no longer jump up.:sad:

It's been this way for a few months and the Vet told us it was her age when we went for needles some months ago. Now, after being told its Hip Displasia we just want to see what can be done to bring down her pain level and help her feel better. She seems depressed.

I will check out the suggestions and links provided.

Thanks again everyone.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

At the age of 12, if that's the extent of her symptoms, she's doing very well, Polar Bear! I suspect you'll see some of her symptoms abate as you begin to manage the HD.

Make sure you stop back and let us know how she's doing! And if you wanted to add a picture or two of your girl, you wouldn't get any complaints from this end.

It was the cartrophen I was trying to remember the name of--thanks, rainbow!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Jumping will jar her joints and cause pain and swelling - even if it's just jumping on or off the bed, the couch, etc. Jumping in and out of vehicles at any age should be strictly avoided - especially for large breed dogs. Going up and down stairs should also be kept to an absolute minimum.

A good pain management plan, a g/c supplement. a moderate but consistent exercise plan and keeping her weight at an optimum level will keep her comfortable and with you for many more years.
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Thanks again everyone. I updated my avatar with a picture of my "Polar Bear".
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She's gorgeous! Love the hat, too!

How's she doing?

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:47 PM
-

I've also been wondering how Sira is doing.

I love your avatar pic and hope you can post some bigger pics for us too.
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

If you can find in your area shark cartilage biscuits...... these should help tremendously.
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM

We got to see Dr. Burgess today and things are looking up! Sira had a shot (Atrophine-I think that's the spelling) and we are starting her on Zeal and CT support plus.

Sira is going to get a shot a week and we hope she's going to get back to her old self soon........

I can't thank all of you enough for the comments and advise
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM

I'm glad you got to see Dr. Burgess, we've been so darn happy with her. She's just one of those people who truly love animals - she was an hour or so late for an appointment one day because she rushed out to help a couple of abandoned puppies left in the country... found a foster for one, and kept the other herself even though she's already got a full house, LOL. We still use our regular vet for normal maintenance stuff (he's awesome too!!) and even he was pretty amazed at how well Tommy's doing; not sure he believes in the acupuncture and herbal remedies, but there's just no denying the good that Dr. Burgess does .

Fingers crossed that Sira sees some improvement soon!
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

So nice to hear a positive update on Sira. I sure hope the treatments help to make her comfortable and happy for a few more years. Can you make a ramp for her to get into and out of the SUV? My old dog had H/D and we took the frame off our bed so she could just walk up onto it with us. Good luck and bless you for taking such good care of your Polar Bear. Sadly not all pet owners are so persistant.
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Hi

I had a white shepherd as well and we lived in Welland, wonder if we
had the same breeder.
My vet gave me metacam or the human equivalent is meloxicam/mobicox for
the pain in the hips. Metacam comes in a liquid, so easy to give and
my dog seemed to know that it would help her. Sometimes I would
give her a dose before she went to play/walk.

After reading that metacam for dogs and meloxicam for humans was
identical, I converted the dose recommend by vet to what was in a pill
and gave Jasmine the meloxicam. I do have a diploma in pharmacy and chemistry so was confident dose was correct.

The metacam did wonders for her. No limping and she managed stairs better.
We also added a ramp to the entrance way, over the stairs to make it easier for her and the poodle we had as well.

As a side note meloxicam did nothing for me...lol....

Ann
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Hi hun, just read your post, i also have a dog with severe HD and ostoarthitis so i know what you are going though :sad:
my vet more or less told me it was all pretty hopeless and my baby is only 16 mths old, but it doesn,t have to be the end of the road! i have been using salmon oil,recovery sa[thanks Chris] glusomine supplements, keeping his weight pretty low and i have been massaging all over his body i do this for about a hour a day, and he loves it! and i am sure it has helped!
My vet said my dog would never beable to do no more than 10 min exercise ever! He now has two 20 min walks a day!
So healing thoughts to your baby for a longer , happier, comfortable life
He is on metacam from the vets as well and this has helped so much too.
All the best hun, your dog looks a sweetie x
'God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in dogs heaven,and when they are tired from running around and barking, the dogs find a cloud bed for sleeping, god watches over each one of them and there are no bad dreams'.
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Smile Accupuncture for Sira

Thanks again for all the recommendations: but we are now seeing a huge improvement with Sira....she had her first accupuncture treatment on Thursday with Dr. Burgess & another shot of the Atrophine..( Im sure Im spelling it wrong..will get the correct spelling next week). She has been able to walk up to 5 blocks this week, & she is back to her old self with wanting attention & being her usual Character self....which cracks us up!! So we are extremely happy with Dr. Burgess....& Siras results....all of us are doing a Dance around here!!!:
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's great news, Polar Bear!

Old May 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM

That's so great to hear, hope it just keeps getting better and better for you guys .
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I'm glad she has been improving! I hope it continues!
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM

Polar Bear, I wish you and your dog the best.

I have a GSD and despite getting him from a reputable breeder, it seems as though he has a mild case of hip dysplasia. I haven't yet confirmed this with my vet because I'd rather not put him under any time soon (he's been under way too many times already for various health issues). Until then, I have been doing what mummumum suggested, and have been using glucosamine chondroitin supplements. Personally, I use Cosequin DS. It's not cheap, but it really seems like it's the best one available (save for Dasuquin, which is from the same company but is even more expensive and is available through prescription only). I don't really notice a HUGE difference, but my baby isn't complaining and it can only help.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Nice to read a happy ending,this Dr,Burgess seems wonderful and I am so glad Siras is doing better
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:32 AM

Feeling better.....

The name of the shots Sira is on is called Adequan. This is the correct spelling. One more shot next week & then its once a month.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
-

YAY for Sira ....glad to hear that the Adequan shots are helping.

Still would love to see some bigger pics of her.
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM

Updated pics in my Album!
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:08 PM
-

Sira is so gorgeous ....is she still doing well?

Zoe is a real cutie as well as handsome Bert.

Do Sira and Zoe play together with the big size difference?

I'm sorry to hear about Coco .....she sure was a beauty.