Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:28 PM

Advice Please....

Was sent a link stating "pure white boxer pup for adoption" it goes on to say he "needs to be rehomed by dec 24th as he is too young to go to a boarding kennel". I called and found out the lady "adopting" the dog out, was in fact a breeder (states 1 time, and her female is now spayed). She states shots done, vet checked, eyes and ears tested and healthy. He is the last of a litter of 7 to go, all the others were gone last week.... kicker... he right now is only just 7wks old. They at first wanted $800 (for the white) then $700 and now "price is negotiable". If I "buy" this pup, am I saving it (as we have no idea what will happen if he is not gone by the 24th), or am I supporting a BYB (even though the mom is now spayed?)??? My heart is ruling my head... and I need some sage advice from you all. Boxer rescue?????
Oh... wait, just got a new letter she says she is now putting the pup with a friend for the holidays, and will rehome him in the new year.
I think I've answered my own questions...... Just that darn heart that I can't get to shut-up and let my brain think logically!! LOL
Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If I "buy" this pup, am I saving it (as we have no idea what will happen if he is not gone by the 24th), or am I supporting a BYB (even though the mom is now spayed?)??
For future reference, yes you would be supporting a very crappy BYBer.

Charging 800$ for a white (and possibly deaf) boxer pup, when white is a very undesirable colour.

IF you ever hear this kind of thing again ("Puppies must go") wait til the person dumps them at a shelter, then go adopt from there. This way, the byber will not be rewarded and will actually be punished for their irresponsibility.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:02 PM

Hi Jess Is this byb in Niagara Area?? If so we have had some of their dogs come into boxer rescue. Pm and let me know the name cause it might be this lady. I will ask one of our niagara region volunteers as i know she got a dog from a byb(she didnt know about byb's then) and she(the byb) always has pups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffmom
Was sent a link stating "pure white boxer pup for adoption" it goes on to say he "needs to be rehomed by dec 24th as he is too young to go to a boarding kennel". I called and found out the lady "adopting" the dog out, was in fact a breeder (states 1 time, and her female is now spayed). She states shots done, vet checked, eyes and ears tested and healthy. He is the last of a litter of 7 to go, all the others were gone last week.... kicker... he right now is only just 7wks old. They at first wanted $800 (for the white) then $700 and now "price is negotiable". If I "buy" this pup, am I saving it (as we have no idea what will happen if he is not gone by the 24th), or am I supporting a BYB (even though the mom is now spayed?)??? My heart is ruling my head... and I need some sage advice from you all. Boxer rescue?????
Oh... wait, just got a new letter she says she is now putting the pup with a friend for the holidays, and will rehome him in the new year.
I think I've answered my own questions...... Just that darn heart that I can't get to shut-up and let my brain think logically!! LOL
Old December 24th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Just so you know... the lady seems very nice... and I do not wish to be mean or cruel to her. She says they only had one litter, and that her dog is now spayed, and that she wont ever breed again. She also states she has the vet checks, and paperwork for the pup stating it is healthy, is not deaf nor blind. She also has CKC for the non-white pups in the litter, but says she will not give CKC to the white dogs, and she must have a spay/neuter contract.
I know that white boxers have a higher rate of deafness.... however, according to the link at boxerrescue it is only 20% of white boxers are deaf.
We haven't bought this puppy, and the only reason we were considering it was the fact that firstly it was on an adoption site, and secondly when I saw "pup must be rehomed by Christmas eve" I was worried about what might happen to him.
I have no problems getting an all white boxer (even if he is deaf). I love the all white dogs. He could be Sheriff's "twin"LOL
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:23 AM

If your heart is set on helping this little doggy, then do it. Chances are if they don't get rid of him, they probably won't send him to a rescue or pound until the new year, I'm certain they don't want to lose the whole adoption fee, or have to possibly pay a surrender fee to the rescue, since apparently he may need to see a Vet A.S.A.P. for spay/neuter if that is the kind of contract they are looking to have signed. Since you know the rescue will take care of it, and re-coup with their adoption fee.
I know BYB are bad, but, why punish this little one that you know you have a good home for. He shouldn't pay for the stupidity of humans. Thats my 2 cents.
Merry Christmas & best wishes for the new year!!
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

More likely, the threat to take him to a shelter is a nudge meant to make a potential buyer buy now - much like the special sales promotions on TV for the first 100 callers.
Old December 26th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
but says she will not give CKC to the white dogs,
I
I'm a bit confused to this.Is she saying she will register the others but not the white pups?If so under the CKC legal act,it is illegal for her to do this.ALL pups must be registered.As a member of the CKC,I know this for a fact.Just as it is illegal to sell a pup with registration papers for lets say $400,and then try and sell them without papers for lets say $300.Both Sire and Dam must be registered for the pups to be registered.So please pass this info to her.

Also,I must say her "adoption" fee is pretty high.She's actually using "adoption" to cover up "selling"..And she did give up the other pups a bit to young.

Go with your heart.If you want this furbaby,then get him.But just remember,you may end up putting more into him with vet costs.Especially if neither sire or dam have been health or genetic tested before breeding.

Keep us updated....
Old December 26th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Is she saying she will register the others but not the white pups?If so under the CKC legal act,it is illegal for her to do this.ALL pups must be registered.As a member of the CKC,
Exactly. It's not up to her if she wants papers to go with the puppies - she is legally obligated to give them if the litter is registered.

Anyway, does she think lack of papers will keep people from breeding these puppies, even the white ones?

And 800$ (or "best offer") for badly bred, intact and deliberately bred puppies is NOT an adoption fee. It's a sale and if she didn't show or health test her bitch, then it's a sale for profit. These people would be funny if it weren't for the fact that the dogs end up suffering.
Old December 26th, 2004, 04:51 PM

I don't know what health testing was or wasn't done on the dam and sire.... I didn't get that far in talking to her. I asked a few questions... but stopped to give myself time to think more rationally!! LOL sometimes my heart overrides my brain!
She said she was giving CKC with the coloured pups, but not with the whites as they could not be used for breeding and were for "pet purposes only".

Also, emailed her, and said there was no way we could even consider him if he had "to be gone by the 24th". She emailed back that a friend is taking the pup for the Xmas holidays and she will try to adopt him out in the new year.
I totally get that she is not adopting but selling the litter.... that is where my heart and my brain are having problems comming to an agreement!!LOL My heart says "bring him home... give him an awsome home" my brain says "BYB don't support it!!" It has been a back and forth kind of thing.... Although I would love to "adopt" him.... I think we are probably going to pass.... and pray that those who do "adopt" him will be an awsome forever home!!
Old December 26th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

For what it's worth - when i was searching for Yin Yin, I came across several breeders of Siamese cats that claimed to be reputable and when i checked further, they were not!! As much as the kittens were adorable, I could not possibly condone giving money to a back yard breeder (and even someone who decides to breed their cat once and then sell the kittens - without particpating in shows and promoting the breed and including the proper vet and registration forms - is a back yard breeder. their pet may be well looked after but they have "allowed" her to have one litter and that is not responsible. Usually, such breeders too sell for lower fees but the kitten comes without its vaccinations, has never seen a vet and there is no contract. In other words, back yard dealing.

So, I had to wait for the right cat - rescue or from a proper accredited breeder where you have to be on a waiting list and there are contracts and you have the health records, the registration and the pedigree usually for three generations - but it was well worth it!!

I worry about where the cats (and dogs) go from these by breeders. With no contract, they are often declawed (ugh!!!), and sometimes bred or worse, end up homeless!!

You are wise to wait!!
Old December 26th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She said she was giving CKC with the coloured pups, but not with the whites as they could not be used for breeding and were for "pet purposes only".
Again,this under the CKC legal act,she can't do this.Doesn't matter that the whites will not be used for breeding.They MUST be registered also.Please email her back and let her know this.This is something she needs to know.

I'm sure your new furbaby will come along soon.Just takes time....