Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Unhappy Help!!! 9 day old kitten stranded

Hi,

I am trying to help a stranded kitten. I am feeding the kitten every 2 hours but she does not take more than a few drops and that I have to force. She has an open wound above the anus which I'm trying to wash out a few times but there are small worms coming out of the wound. She has a terrible odor and is defacting, I think, on herself. Her anus is swollen as well. The vet is closed until tomorrow. I guess I would like to know if this baby has a chance with the worms? Could these worms be from the wound or could she have many inside of her? I have been cleaning them off but a few more will come out. One eye is also closed and we cant open it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her go to the bathroom? I have tried a warm cloth but that does not work.

dmenton
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My suggestion - find an emergency vet asap!!!! With an open wound over the anus it needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible.
Do not try to force open the kitten's eye! It will open when ready.
If the kitten was being looked after by the mother the mother would lick the anus area to aid the kitten to relieve itself. Seeing as that is not happening use a slightly rough, dampened clean washcloth. What are you feeding it? Human milk is not good for the kitten. There is replacement cat milk available at good pet stores. I am not talking the stuff you can buy at grocery stores. I am talking replacement cat milk. Very important you have the right stuff.

There must be some reason the mom left it.
It needs to get to the vet. I can not stress this enough.
Good Luck!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
banned user

I am sorry that i cannot help you but i think it is a wonderful thing you are doing. trying to help the poor kittin. I think the world needs more people like you! I wish you and the kitty the best of luck.
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM

Help!!! Stranded kitten

I purchased replacement kitten formula and a bottle but she is being very difficult to feed. I am taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. I did talk to the vet yesterday about her and am following some advice but he suggested to take her to the Humane Society because she is a stray. I dont want to give up on her because I will keep her if she pulls thru.

dmenton
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
banned user

I hope she pulls through so you can keep her!!! Best of luck Again..lol.. Serious props from me dude.
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am more worried about the wound with the worms coming out. That is not a good thing. What did the vet say about that? I can't understand why he/she did not say to bring it in then? Are they worms or maggots? As I said before, there must be some reason why the mom left it. Are you warming the milk up to the proper temp? It needs to be lukewarm. Not hot, not cold. If the bottle doesn't work try using a sterilised syringe and gently syringing a tiny amount at a time into kittens mouth. Just a tiny amount or the baby can aspirate.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:34 PM
head in the clouds

you could get a dropper to feed her if shes not taking the bottle (it may be too big for her mouth)

as for the wound... im shocked the vet didnt say bring her in...

just keep doing what you can and give her a hot bed (like lying on her mummy)...

as for the wound.... it may be maggots..
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttypaws View Post
just keep doing what you can and give her a hot bed (like lying on her mummy)..
As long as the hot bed is not hot. It needs to be covered with something and not too hot or it can seriously burn the kitten. Their body temps can not regulate themselves at this young age.

Old April 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If they are maggots, they're beneficial--they're eating the necrotic tissue. Maggots won't touch living flesh, so they are sometimes used to clean up wounds.

I hope your little kitten pulls through, dmenton66.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
What did the vet say about that? I can't understand why he/she did not say to bring it in then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttypaws View Post
as for the wound... im shocked the vet didnt say bring her in...
And this vet told the OP to take the cat to the humane society .... who would have put down a sick 9 day old kitten !! I don't understand this vet at all.