Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 11th, 2003, 12:41 AM

Question Pregnant cat?

Hi, I am new to this, but I have a quick question. My cat, a strictly indoor, 9-year-old, got out of the house about a month and a half ago and stayed out all night. Her belly has gotten bigger, she constantly craves attention now, and she seems to be steadily sleeping in one particular spot.
The thing is- according to a normal cats gestation period, she should be giving birth in 2-4 weeks. And her belly isn't THAT big. I mean.. it's big. It's bigger than before, I'm sure of it. But I would think that it would be huge if there were like, 3 or 4 kittens in there. How big are newborn kittens? And should I be feeling lumps in her belly? I tried to feel it earlier this morning, but she was very edgy and hissed when I tried to squeeze her belly. How can I know for sure if she is pregnant?!?

Thanks!
Kelly
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:37 AM

While true that cats can have up to 8 kittens, some may only have 1 or 2. And if she is still 4 weeks away from delivery, then she's only half way through. Are her nipples enlarged? The closer you are to delivery, the bigger they get.

You'd only be able to feel the fetus' if you knew what you were looking for, and counting would be hard because you wouldn't know if you were feeling the same fetus twice.

Has she been in for a check up? I would take her, just to make sure everything is alright. Now and maybe right before delivery.

Pachiz
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Dear Pachiz.
Actually, my cat has never been to the vet. I am a little worried about going and having them be really mean to me because she has never been seen by a doctor. But I suppose I should take her in.

So if she is only having 1 or 2 kittens, her belly probably won't be that big, right?

Her nipples do seem bigger than normal. Also, they are alot darker. Usually they are a very very light pink- almost white. They are a dark pink now...

So can a vet tell if she is pregnant? My guess is that she will need a million and a half shots and maybe they can take blood while we're there.

Thanks,
Kelly
Old June 11th, 2003, 11:00 AM

They won't be mean, and if they are then you need a new vet. She's been mostly indoors, right, except for the escape?

They also won't give her the vaccinations while she's pregnant, unless they do a killed vaccine, which is up to you. The killed aren't as effective, but she can't have the other kind (modified live) because it can cause abortion.

They will be able to tell for sure if she is pregnant, and possibly how far she is along, but from what you describe, I'm sure she is. T'is the season, after all.

Hope everything works out OK.

Pachiz
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:44 AM

Well I am calling today to make her an appt. at the vet. I just can't wait for them to tell me for sure whether or not she is pregnant so that I can stop worrying!

Yes, she is a very stricly indoor cat. She has escaped one other time, a few years ago for about 20 minutes. I searched the neighborhood and when I came back home, she was hanging on the inside of the screen door. She is usually terrified even by the door altogether. I don't know what must have gotten into her... well.. I guess I do.

Okay, they won't give her shots.. good. I was worried about her first trip to the vet. being a horrible experience for her because they might use her as a pin cushion.

I asked her today when she was going to have those kittens and she didn't answer. I think she is a little nervous about it all.

Kelly
Old June 13th, 2003, 04:25 PM

I agree a vet visit is the best thing to do. I do recommend that afterwards you have her spayed as there is no reason to keep her un-altered. Also, do not try and feel the kittens as you described you did earlier!! You can actually cause a lot of damage to her and or the kittens by trying to palpate (what feeling for babies is called) her uterus, which is probably why she hissed at you. Palpating is hard to do and can actually only be done at certain times during the pregnancy and then only be a qualified vet or breeder. Good luck.
Old June 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM

I had no idea. No wonder she hissed at me! I have an appt for her on next sat. at the vet. I'll post and tell you what happened. Thanks for your help!

Kelly