Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:14 PM

Here's a tiny bit of background of my life. It's in a netshell.

I have always had dogs since I was small. I met my husband when I was 15 yrs old and we have now been married 22 years.

When we lived on our acreage I tried raising Rotts but when I saw the type of people that came to buy my puppies I couldn't do it again. We had her spayed. When we moved into town we brought her with us. Her hip went out and we had to put her down. My daughter and I went to 3 different animal shelters before we choose Howie. We had him nuetered.

I've taken 3 dogs through dog obedience. A bassett hound and 2 Rotts. I could have gone ahead and gotten their CD but it took time and money and I already knew we could do it so I didn't go ahead with it. I thought you might enjoy this bit of info so you don't think I don't have a clue about dogs.

Howie's rash started about 3 months ago. That's why I didn't think one more day of waiting for meds would be so bad(when I had "daughter day"). The first month it didn't bother him at all. It was just red. When he started itching we looked into it. Had him on 7 days of antibiotics. No change. Kept him out of his outdoor run and kennel (inside garage kennel at night), gave him a bath, tried allergy pills, and fungus spray. It seemed to get better and then worse again. Then I found this forum and decided to ask about rashes. So I am still trying your idea of witch hazel and tea tree oil. He also got a bath today. Rash is looking better.

I suppose someone will pick apart something I've said, but truly I only wanted help finding a remedy for his rash. Why don't we talk about something else? I do enjoy chatting with you.

I apologize to LuckyRescue who only got in on half of the conversation. Hope to hear from you tonight. I have to help staff our Youth Center for our church tonight so will be busy between 6-10pm.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You knew about the rash for 3 months

smh
Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:53 PM

Why don't we talk about something else?
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:17 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The post was about your dogs rash
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:32 PM

okay, Bye then.
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Senior Contributor

No one said you didn't know anything about dogs. Knowledge does not always preclude mistreatment, neglect and abuse, however.

Making your dog stay outside alone is not proper care, no matter how you justify it.

Please read this article. It explains in detail.
Backyard Dogs
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Chocolate

hey greenhunsaker32,

my friend told me that if the admin saw what I posted I would be banned, NOT just have my post edited.

I DID IT MYSELF.

like I said, if I were ever to meet you... u'd have a few words coming.

but anyways, let me add in my credentials that I have for taking care of my dogs.

-neutered both
-been to emergency for dog bite and digesting rat poison
-taking
-the moment I spot an irregularity on any of my dogs, I'm either calling up a dog-educated friend, the vet, or get on the internet.
-spending oddles and oddles of time researching dog info
-got my first dog from the animal shelter
-spent MONTHS searching out a suitable (and PURRFECT) dog companion for my first dog
-oh, did I mention I went COUNTLESS times to animal shelters in my area AND refreshed MANY saved rescue dogs web sites and message boards.
-my vet knew me after 2 months by my dogs name, when he wasn't around.
-I bathe both dogs regularly
-I brush their teeth.
-I clean out their ears
-they receive AMPLE play time with me.
-they receive fresh, Clean, water throughout the day. It is wind-blown-debri-free
-oh, and they SLEEP IN MY BED

I'm more than likely missing more credentials, by hey, it's a start.

I'm gonna be out walking my dogs for the next two hours so I'll reply when I get back.

shiat.
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Chocolate

FABULOUS link, Luba!!

for those who may not scroll down enough... here it is:

"I'm familiar with hundreds of dog breeds, but what's an "outside dog?" Unless you're medically intolerant of it (and therefore can't take care of it in a medical emergency, so you shouldn't have it), making a dog stay outside is a costly waste. If it's for protection, what do you think I want to steal, your lawn? When you leave, do you put your valuables and your kids out in your yard? Just what is the dog "protecting" out there? Most dogs kept out cause far more nuisance complaints from barking and escaping than any deterrent to intrusion. Such complaints cause teasing, antagonism, release and poisoning. I lost count of the number of times I've heard: "NOW I know why I find so many rocks, sticks and cans in my yard! They're throwing them at my dog!" Or: "So that's why I've had to replace the padlock on the fence 17 times in the past year!" With your dog a helpless victim, it's no laughing matter.

If I'm a crook and your dog is out, your fence protects ME, not your possessions or dog. If I just open the gate 9 out of 10 dogs will run off! I can safely shoot, stab, spear, poison, snare, strangle or dart it through the fence. You just lost your dog AND everything I steal! If it's tied and I keep out of its reach, it's useless. It'll bark, but outside dogs bark so much they're usually ignored. But let a dog hit the other side of a door or window I'm breaking into and I'm GONE! I can't hurt it until it can hurt me, and nothing you own is worth my arm. Deterrence is effective protection.

Protection and aggression are not the same. Protection is defensive, reactive and often passive and threatens or injures no one. Aggression is active, harmful and offensive, threatens all and benefits none. Yard dogs often develop far more aggression than protectivity because everyone who passes by or enters has already violated the territory that dog has marked dozens of times a day for years. That's not protection, it's not desirable and it overlooks two facts of life today:

1) Property owners have implied social contracts with others in the community. Letter carriers, paper boys, delivery people, law enforcement, emergency medical personnel, meter readers and others are allowed near and at times on your property without your specific permission. Sure that ten-year-old was not supposed to jump your fence after his ball, kite or Frisbee; but neither you nor your dog are allowed to cause him injury if he does. Imagine this: A neighbor looks into your yard or window and sees you, your wife or your child laying on the floor in a pool of blood. They call 9-1-1 and your dog prevents paramedics from assisting! Should they shoot your dog or just let you die? Great choice.

2) Even if the intruder is a felon, few places allow you or your dog to cause physical injury to prevent property loss. Convicted felons have sued the dog's owner from jail and won more in the suit than they could have stolen! Appalling but true. Don't believe your homeowners insurance will cover the loss. Now you see why many feel that an "outside dog" is a no-brainer.

The more a dog is outdoors, the less behavioral control you have. It's easier to solve four or five indoor problems than just one outdoors. The reason is simple: The more you control the stimuli that reach the dog, the more you control its responses. You've got a lot more control over your living room than you do over your county! When it's bored but teased by every dog, cat, bird, squirrel, motorcycle, paperboy, airplane, firecracker, backfiring truck and rabbit in the county, OF COURSE it'll dig, chew and bark. Would you sit still all day every day? Do you want unnecessary medical and parasite fees, especially as the dog ages?

When a dog is alone indoors you're still 30% there because your scent and things it associates with you constantly remind it of you and your training. When it's out, it's alone whether you're home or not. Do you expect it to keep YOU in mind while the entire world teases, distracts and stimulates it?

The media are full of stories about family dogs saving everyone during a fire. How many people, including children, would be dead today if those dogs were kept out? SURE you always get up to investigate every time your yard dog barks. And I've got this bridge.....

An outdoor dog has an address, not a home. Does your dog get so much mail that it needs its own address? A real value dogs offer is as companion animals. Do you live out in your yard? Whose company does your yard dog keep and protect? Stop behavior problems and start enjoying real protection and companionship.

Bring your dogs in."

Old January 4th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thanks wAggie I really enjoyed it too
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Luba, your PM box is full.

Are we listing our credentials to prove we have the right to an opinion?
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LR I fixed my PM box
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Chocolate

we're listing credentials to prove the STUPIDNESS of posting "credentials".

Old January 4th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
we're listing credentials to prove the STUPIDNESS of posting "credentials".
In that case, I won't bother.
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Chocolate

fank u

.....LMAO!!!!
Old January 4th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LR if you did I would fall asleep reading there'd probably be so much
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Well, this post has gotten fired up and I think I will stay out of the opinion part of it, because I have strong opinions and don't wish to make this thread any hotter then it already is!

So..............

You said this dog is a lab mix. Did you know that labs are prone to allergies? They tend to have skin problems quite easily. The wood that you have in the dog house, is that chemically treated? You said he has chewed it a bit, which would release some of the chemicals. My dad's lab can't be in the garage with him when he is sanding treated wood, because the dust will break him out in no time. Just a suggestion!
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:34 PM

I know this is done but just one comment....
I may be off but this sounds like a calus from being left out in the elements all day and night. Also it sounds like this dogs is left in a small run area forcing him to lay in one spot most of the time.

but my point wasn't to start this up again (although it makes me laugh a little

I think it was Karina that said Iams is crap. Is this true, I thought it was pretty good Daisy and Chevy are feed this after trying 3 different brands. Should I be switching the brand?

Thanks!
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Ummm, yeah, Iams is crap. If you start a thread of your own, you will get plenty of advice on better food.
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:41 PM

I always liked Eukanuba and that is made by Iams isn't it?
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Just another dog,victim of husband- loves-new -wife more than dog.
Crystal was a Great Dane/Husky mix,new wife thought dogs just a dirty creature,the husband banned the dog(whom he used to adore and vise versa)to an outside kennel,Crystal was NEVER allowed inside no matter what the weather,mice used to eat her food,she was afraid of mice...
Subsequently she ended up with severe arthrities(spelling?)
a cancerous tumor in her brain,which showed up as a leision behind her ear.She was put down this summer,without trying any cure...the cancer was only discovered after authopsy.
HS,told me as long as she has shelter,there is no law broken,how about neglect?
Well,poor Crystal is gone now,the only relief to me was,that she would not have to live through another winter outside,while the owners are warm and cozy inside.Here's a picture of Crystal
Attached Images

Old February 12th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow,I screwed that post up..haven't learned yet to post a smaller picture
Old February 12th, 2004, 09:55 PM

Don't worry, I haven't either.
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

As you can see,the only thing Husky on Crystal are her eyes,they were an icy blue color,but the owner said,the vet told him she is happy outside because she is part Husky,a load of crap....
I scanned the picture crocked and tried to make it a smaller file,but obviously I did it wrong ,oh well....
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:50 AM
banned user

I am a firm believer in sharing my life with my dogs and cats. My cats have never gone outside. Of course the ones I have now absolutely can't go.
My dogs are all spayed (so are cats). But I love them with me. Whether I'm vegging out on the couch or outside in the garden on going on a hike. We spend allot of time together. I see around our neighbourhood dogs just chained up to the house and they have a dead look in their eyes. They just look at you and its blah!
Mine are full of themselves..some days their happy sad or plain mischievious (Lizzy 99% of the time ) They sleep in bed with me or we have a pillow on the floor for in the summer when its too hot they sleep there. I love my animals to bits..i love watching them..playing with them and all around being a part of their lives.
Old February 13th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Amaruq,I hope there are more people like most of us here in this Forum than the"others".
To me,if you take the responsabilty of an animal into your family,they should be part of your family in all ways.
Crystal was a"good"dog,but was considered the"dog from hell"because in frustration she chewed everything...
Comparing your love for your kids,husband or wife to your love for your animals is impossible..or saying who is more important,I don't draw lines,I love them all and would not neglect one over the other.I've been married for almost 40yrs(phew!!!)and I know,I would never have chosen a partner who does not share my love for nature and animals.
Thank's for all the info,I am going to the Library today...
Old February 13th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

My cats although mostly indoors,go outside with me for a bit every day,in the winter they stay out only a few minutes(sissys!).
In the summer when I am out gardening,or just out,they love beeing outside.But when I go in they go in.
We somehow managed to train them to know"the grass is NOT greener on the other side".
They are also micro-chipped and wear a collar with name and phone,but so far they have never strayed..
I have a big fenced backyard with a couple of big trees and the cats seem perfectly contended just watching the birds at the feeders or chasing each other only to drop down basking in the sun for a snooze.As a matter of fact,they won't even go out unless I or hubbie come too.
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:01 AM

I live out in the country were we have a lot of mice. Open field behind us beyond that is a golf course, and nothing but cows on the other sides. So our cats love to go out and chase the mice. They then bring them, line them up on the sidewalk, and meow at us to get us to see what they did! But they have a kittie door so they can come in any time they want. They had a bed, but Lazy decided he liked my fruit basket better, so now I have to put my fruit in a bowl, while he sleeps in the basket on the table! So much for buying beds.
Old February 13th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

LoL,I know what you mean,I gave my cat-beds to Humane Society
Old February 13th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I haven't given it away yet, because I have other cats, I think might want to use it, plus it is large enough for a small dog, and you never know! One of those things that it is hard to let go of!
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Back to rash......

So this thread got a little out of hand, but I will return back to the rash issue....

My almost 3 year old lab has had a rash, coming and going in the groin area. It has never been bad at all, or bad enough to take him to the vet. Nor has it bothered im at all, he has not even noticed it or tried to lick or anything.

Just couple of days ago I noticed it was getting worse, for the first time. Until now it has been just little pinkish rash, that turns into darker brown right before it goes (peels?) away. I looked it up and found this, ran to Walgreens and found Tea Tree Oil and Witch Hazel (never heard of either one of them....), made the solution and we will see.

My dog had a sore on his head about 2 months ago (spider bite and from there allergies took it further.. at least that's what the vet said...) and my dog was on antibiotics and antihistamines. The small rash went completely away, but came back worse.

I am not interested in taking him to the vet to pay $200 to see if the rash will come back after all the meds, so I will try this and post here if it works.

Of course I will be taking him to the vet if this gets worse, and pay what ever price it takes as long as my doggie is good to go ...

...oh, and BTW, my husband doesn't like the dog in the house either, but it is amazing what men can get used to and learn to love. He wanted "Sami" outside also, but fortunately we do not have a fence yet (new house) and it will take a looooooong time to put one up At our old house Sami was outside a lot, mostly in the pool and the hot tub; And no, he never had a rash back then, which I would understand since being in the water a lot.