Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old November 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM

FOUND: black male ShepX in Innisfil

I found a large, all black, male dog wandering in front of my house at about 8:00 this am. He's very friendly. Looks to be a Shep cross, possibly with Lab. He's tall & lean. He is wearing a flea collar and a flat nylon collar with a rabies tag from 2005. The rabies tag is from a veterinary clinic in the 519 area code. There was a name and phone number scratched onto the back of the tag by hand. The name was not legible, but the phone number was also in the 519 area code. When I called the number, I was told that they had fostered a dog two years ago, but he has since been adopted. I brought him to the vet to check for a chip - no luck.

If anyone is looking for a dog of this description, he's currently being held at the Stroud Veterinary Clinic on Yonge street. PM me if you want more info. Sorry, no pictures.
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Doggie Wench

Thanks for picking him up .

Doesn't the foster home (or the rescue/shelter they fostered for) have a contact number/address for the adoptive family?
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM

You would think. But, then again, you would think that they would have had him microchipped, or at least put a proper ID tag on him, instead of scratching their number onto the back of the rabies tag so you can't read his name and could barely make out the number.

I couldn't just let him roam. We're a small subdivision, but we have a pretty major road running right down the middle. I would hate for him to be hit by a car, or worse yet, picked up by our "animal control".
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Update: I called the vet who issued the rabies tag. The story gets a little fishy here. I explained that there was a name and phone number scratched onto the back of the tag. She said, yes, that's what they do for all of their clients. I said I couldn't read the name, but called the number, and told her the story about the foster home. She said they would never put a foster home's number on the back of a tag, only the real owner's, and that they don't work with any rescue groups on a regular basis. Hmmm...

So, I'll wait until after dinner, then call the vet where he's staying to see if there's any news on him. If not, I'll bring him to our local OSPCA. I can't hold him myself - my son is going in for dental surgery today, I can't introduce a new dog into the house AND deal with a convalescing 8 year old (especially a dog who peed on the vet's desk the minute he walked in the door - can only imagine what he'd do with Phoebe around!). I also can't let our local animal control take him - I've had dealings with them in the past that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I hope his owners come home from work, realize their dog is gone, and start calling around at the local vets for information.
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Update II: Well, I called the vet where our friend was being kept. No luck. No one had called looking for him, and animal control was there waiting to pick him up. I begged them to call the local OSPCA and have him taken there instead. Turns out that's where the animal control guy was taking him anyway. Phew! So, I'll be keeping a close eye on their website. On the one hand, I hope that he won't show up on their adoptions page in a week, because that'll mean that his family came to claim him (and paid the $350 fine to get him out of jail - and maybe learned their lesson in the mean time ). On the other hand, I kind of hope that he does get put up for adoption, because that'll mean he'll at least get neutered and might wind up with a family who'll keep a closer eye on him. I wish I had been in a position to hold him myself, but this was the worst possible week for him to show up on my doorstep. :sad: