Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old October 29th, 2007, 11:05 AM

FOUND - Lost lab from Keswick

Very happy to announce that Jake has been found after 24 days missing. Won't ever know the whole story but I got an anonymous call from a lady claiming she was certain she knew where our dog was. I checked it out this morning and sure enough an elderly man in a town 35KM away had Jake. He had been well taken care of.

I have been both physically and emotionally exhausted after searching non-stop for the past 3+ weeks. I have spent a small fortune on supplies, gas, advertising and newspaper ads. It was all worth it because I have Jake home now and that is PRICELESS !!!!

I can't stress enough to everyone who is searching for a lost pet, DON'T EVER GIVE UP no matter how bleak things may look . There is always hope and that one phone call. Keep posting flyers everywhere you can think of. Keep your lost pet fresh in everyones mind and hopefully you will be reunited some day soon. Good luck to all.

Thanks to members of this forum for your ideas and support and encouragement.
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Another happy ending. That is such good news. I'm glad you've got your Jake back.

Cindy
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm glad all your hard work payed off.
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
-

That is great news. Did it turn out to be the original sighting of him being picked up by an elderly man on Woodbine Ave. the day he went missing?
I called my daughter at the SPCA in Newmarket, apparently you spoke to her when you was in there last week, she was happy to hear the news. Can't help being curious, which town was he in? In the end all of your hard work paid off.
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is great news. Love happy endings.

Dogs and cats just don't disappear, somebody knows what happend to them. How did the man react when you claimed your dog, or did the Animal Control contact the man? He probably just wanted a companion and didn't mean any harm to anybody.

Sure was very nice of that lady to call.
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

FOUND - Lost lab

Congrats - great news.
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:08 AM

Alright glad to hear you got your dog back safe & sound

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM
-

WOO HOO.....glad to hear you and Jake have been reunited.
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:01 PM
banned user

What great news! I am so glad to hear you got the call that helped you locate Jake. It is so uplifting to hear a lost pet has been found.
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so happy to hear you found your lab!!!! I love labs - have a chocolate "nephew" lab in Rothesay actually, not too far from you. I'd be devastated if anything happened to him and all I do is occasionally lab sit and visit.

Congrats on a great ending!!!
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone.
Jake was found in Pefferlaw while out on a walk with his "keeper". It was 7am and still dark when I first spotted them. I drove by once, turned around and drove by a second time to be sure then did a U-turn and pulled right up in front of them on the shoulder of the road. As I got out to confront this man, I was sure of just one thing. I was going home with Jake. I wasn't sure how he would react when confronted but I was prepared to call 911 and tell the police they had better come fast because there was going to be trouble. As it turned out, he was very cooperative and in fact seemed relieved that I had found Jake. Jake was so happy that he was jumping up at me and running in circles. He is normally very calm and docile. The man wanted to continue back to his home 4 houses away and asked me to come in for a coffee. I was OK with that, but there was NO way that Jake was going any further with him. He tugged and pulled on the leash so hard the collar slipped over his head. I had never seen him act like that before. So Jake and I followed him back to his house in the van.

Jake was treated like a king from all accounts. As it turns out, the man lived alone and his dog had died in Aug and I think he was terribly lonely. Over the course of 30 minutes, I was told three different stories of how he acquired Jake so I don't really know what happened. I strongly believe he was the one who was spotted picking up a dog matching Jakes description the morning he went missing. Because there was no collar, he believed Jake had been abandoned and not lost. He made no attempt to try and locate the rightful owner and claimed he had not seen any of the flyers or newspaper ads. That is very hard to believe. My own thought is that he found a new friend and didn't want to make the effort to find the real owner.

I did feel bad for this man and empathized with his situation. He was quite emotional when saying goodbye to Jake whom he named Shadow because 'Jake' followed him everywhere. I suggested he contact the local shelters or rescue organizations where I'm sure he would find a loving companion. Gave him a few phone numbers to contact so hopefully he finds a new companion in need. I harbor no ill feelings toward him. He took very good care of Jake.
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Kind of a sad story, although a happy one for you. Jake must have been astonished! I hope that man finds a new friend, there are so many looking for homes and he sounds like an ideal candidate.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I wonder what Jake was thinking when you drove by, I am sure he would recognize the scent of your van. Must have drove him crazy as you drove by three times.

I am so happy for you and Jake. This just proves pets do love their owners and no matter how well taken care of by others, they want to be home!
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:05 AM
-

It is sad that this man had to take Jake to comfort him after the loss of his own dog. There are all kinds of dogs for free on the kijiji site. Maybe you could help him find a new companion. Just a thought.