Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 13th, 2012, 11:12 PM

Unhappy dankatt

I have tried many things (spraying water yelling locking her inside) does anyone have any new ideas to stop my dog from barking at everything? I have a 2yo dachshund and am at the end of my rope. I take her everywhere I go (almost) but she barks at absolutely everything around our home.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:39 AM

Has your dog been through any type of obedience training?
Full medical checkup at the vet recently?
Have you contacted a dog trainer or behavourist?
Are there certain things that set her off everytime? Specific things she may be upset by ie noisy washing machine, vacuum cleaner, squirrels etc?

I know someone who had success with the Dog Silencer Pro when other options/training methods failed for a dog barking due to separation anxiety when left alone.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board Dankatt, sorry you're having problems with your pup. I think little dogs are way more prone to barking than larger ones are, but that said, my Lab X has a bad habit of barking at everything when we're in the car. When I see her getting ready to bark, or I see something I know she will bark at, I give her a down command. Her brain switches from barking to paying attention to the command I have given her. Down she goes, no barking. When she's settled (and the stimulant has passed) I release her and she's back to looking out the windows. If she's already in full bark I am still able to silence her by making her go into a down. She has not had obedience training unfortunately (she's also 12 years old), but she knows when I tell her to do something she needs to pay attention. Obviously, when I'm driving I can't turn around and correct her, so it's an issue of her willing obedience. To achieve something like this I have to agree with Growler that if you have not already done obedience you should. You want to be able to take her mind off the reason she is barking, or better yet, stop her before it starts, and redirect her to a better choice, even if that is just listening to you and doing as you say. Good luck to you.
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

How about laughing? Works for me but my dogs have not been as bad. Mostly mine have reached an age, around one year old, where they somehow got it into their heads that it was their job to guard our property. Or to notify of approaching strangers. My tack is to show them they are wrong, it's MY job.

Laughing is really only one thing I do. Laughing shows them they are wrong and I am not worried about whatever the situation is. After all, if I felt threatened would I laugh? No. So I laugh, sort of mean sometimes, like the school bully who laughed when you slipped and fell on ice. "Ho, ho, ho, you big dummy, that's nothing to bark at. You are wrong, You made a mistake." Works for barking at the door bell type situations.

I do some obedience. SIT, DOWN, STAND. This is distracting and reinforces my control of dog as well as situation.

With one young dog who began to advance barking at strangers we met in the bush I did the obedience but also discovered that my greeting the stranger in a happy, familiar way did loads to reassure the dog as well. " Hi there, great to see you, what a beautiful day. How are you anyway, it's been ages." If they were strangers I'd get some funny looks but it tricked the dog into thinking, hey, Mom knows them, Mom is being friendly and happy, gee, it must be all right, I won't bark. It worked every time till she just stopped and left it all up to me.

Another trick I really like is Leslie McVitt's and for that I will ask you to check out this site. It's been great for this and some other behaviour I didn't like. http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=dtb943