Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old September 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Affordable cat foods you can buy at a store

Brand name, where you buy it and cost.
Tell us how much it costs per month or per container and how long does a container last.
So.... GO!!!
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I can only help with dog foods no cats here
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Welllness in the large cans is not too bad of a price. You can freeze half the can if you only have one or two cats. I think it is only about 3 bucks for a large can.

I personally make my own raw, it works out to about 50 cents for 5.5 ounces, so the cost of a supermarket can of cat food. I do mix it with a quality canned to ensure they are getting all their vitamins and to minimize any errors I have made in weighing out my meat and bones.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:53 PM

I just looked at wellness in the specialty pet supply store, at $3.19 per large can and instructions to feed 1/2 can per day to a 6-8lb cat, it's the most expensive food they had.

ETA it had a "price reduced" sticker on it, so it was previously more than that...

Last edited by driver8; September 14th, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I have ALOT of animals but not much coin sadly...

I feed my cats canned Wellness, Evo, Evolve, or whatever is on sale at a specialty store. I also do feed Nurti Source dry for breakfast (not ideal to feed kibble...I know)

My GSD gets fed Acana Pacifica which is not as good as Orijen but it is what I can afford. The little breeds get whatever hollistic food that is on sale.

I make my own dog food if I cannot afford can which I mix in with the kibble. It is a boiled chicken, rice, peas, and carrots mixed in with plain yogurt. This is for the little breeds only as the GSD cannot stomach chicken. He always gets can Merrick, or Natural balance and all dogs get Tripe.

I have learned alot on this forum on good nutritian. It has saved 1 cat for sure by feeding her only can Evo. Had I not listened to these knowledgeable people, she would have been lost forever.

I always say where there is a will there is a way. I make sure that my animals get the best I can provide. I do so by cutting back on trivial things that I personally do not need.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Driver,I feed my cats Wellness,I don't know where you are,but I pay $2.99 for a large can,in the long run it is a saving,because you keep your cats healthier.
Lately I lost one of my 3 cats,so with 2 cats,I feed them 2 smaller cans/day for $1.79 each.
If you live anywhere near Oakville I have a great store for you,cheaper than Pet-Value.
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

I buy the large wellness cans by the case in the states, works out to $2.19/can in a case of 12. Of course that only works for those of us lucky enough to live right at the border!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM

Any other brands people recommend?? Besides the most expensive?
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Kitty pimp

do you mean like a grocery store?
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Brand name: Chicken

Where to buy it: Grocery store/butcher

How much it costs: 6-7$ (cheaper if it's on sale)

Lasts approximately 1 week per cat = <1$ per day.

Pick up a whole chicken, extra hearts, giblets, and liver. Grind it all up when you get home, add a pinch of salt and an egg yolk or two. Voila, natural, healthy, and very cost efficient.
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
do you mean like a grocery store?
Or a store common enough to be accessible to most people. It could make the thread a good resource for average pet owners (who don't make their own, etc, etc)
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Doggie Wench

One doesn't really "make" chickens...just have to grind them up .

Wellness and other good quality (ie. no fillers/corn/by-products etc) foods can be found just about everywhere in our area. Most pet supply stores have a deal where after the purchase of 10 cases, you get one free. At 2.99 per can, it ends up being 2.72$. 1/2 can per day = 1.36$. Still cheaper than a cup of coffee .
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:43 AM

So I think I talked about the average joe pet owner in the IAMS thread and was told you can feed your cat quality food for the same price. "You can feed your pets a lot better for a lot cheaper" someone said.

I guess after all that turns out to NOT be the case. People are just justifying the expensive foods. Many pet owners don't do that and shop by what is convenient and low-cost. Some don't have the option, some just make a choice in their lives.

At around 12 bucks for a bag that will last a month to a month and a half, and easy to buy everywhere, it's not hard to see why people are still feeding with IAMS. Is there a quality alternative anyone knows of in the same price range? I doubt it.

I got a PM suggesting Special Kitty that is sold at wal-mart, there is a type that doesn't have by-products. Around $.053 per can, feeding 1.5 cans per day. I'll take a look next time I'm there.
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

driver8 are you asking is there a pet food that you can buy for really cheap,,yes there is,,are you asking is there a GOOD pet food you can buy at the grocerie store,,pre made,,etc etc..plain and simple NO. Best way to decide on an appropriate food for you pet is read the label..If it is full of corn,barley,wheat,rice,,blah blah then you decide..We are discussing a cat which is a carnivore plain and simple (it doesn't eat vegetables and grains). Now you can read all of the labels off all of the store brands and decide which is the least pile of crap and choose that one.

Ok lets try this way,,your pet is part of your family right,,how much does it cost to feed a family member per day,lets say $3.00 for a chicken breast,,,30 cents for a potatoe and another few cents for some vegetables.. or minimum $5 at McDonalds... so roughly $5 for one meal, not including breakfast and lunch. or $1-$1.50 for you kitty for the day. Now if you fed your family McDonalds every day for the rest of their life you're going to end up with alot of doctors appts,,,same with feeding kitty junk food..Like i said in the other thread,,i don't feed store bought I feed raw as do LP and Love4 for the plain reason it is better for my furry children,,,i don't want my kids growing up on McDonalds. If you can't afford a few cents more for a better food then you sure aren't going to like the expense of the vet bill later.
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Yes I get it.
The statement was "you can feed a lot better for cheaper". Not "If you spend more now it night save down the road".

So basically there IS no alternative on the shelves, is that what people here are saying?

BTW everyone here needs to realise I understand that IAMs is not the best food out there. I'm not on here trying to fight for the right to feed my cats crap. So take the mcdonalds arguments off now please because that's not the point. I'm convinced, you can stop with the "educating".

My point is that people use it for some good reasons, as do shelters. IS THERE an alternative in the same price range?
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM
banned user

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Yes I get it.
The statement was "you can feed a lot better for cheaper". Not "If you spend more now it night save down the road".

So basically there IS no alternative on the shelves, is that what people here are saying?

BTW everyone here needs to realise I understand that IAMs is not the best food out there. I'm not on here trying to fight for the right to feed my cats crap. So take the mcdonalds arguments off now please because that's not the point. I'm convinced, you can stop with the "educating".

My point is that people use it for some good reasons, as do shelters. IS THERE an alternative in the same price range?
Then for you....IAMS it is...no point in educating
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:06 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Yes I get it.
wasn't me who made the statement so can't answer for the other person.

considering you just said you aren't trying to start a fight this statement is rather rude don't you think..I have been nothing but polite to you and this thread is not just for you it is for anyone else wanting to know about feeding their kitties.
Now you didn't answer my question,,,are you looking for a good food or anything that is cheap..cheap is a dime a dozen (just like McDonalds) good is another story.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
Then for you....IAMS it is...no point in educating

My point is not me.

My point is so many others out there that are using it. The shelter I volunteer at. People on here are saying wah, there are other choices. What others? You're going to jump on a bandwagon of disdain of a particular food, but no one here seems to be able to have understanding of why it is even a choice for so many. It's a huge divide I see between this forum and the "real world".

I guess there was no point in this thread because there are no alternatives and so the thread might as well be closed. YOu either get good or you get cheap. When I buy clothes, I don't always think I have to spend big bucks to get quality, I shop wisely. Ditto for my own food, if I shop at various stores and get bulk, etc. I thought people on here might have some info about quality pet food that is the same. I guess not.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Now you didn't answer my question,,,are you looking for a good food or anything that is cheap..cheap is a dime a dozen (just like McDonalds) good is another story.
See my answer above - I thought the people on here might have info that is wise and allows for inexpensive quality, but I guess I was wrong.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

driver8 - firstly let me share alittle insight on shelters who feed non hollistic/lower 'quality' food. This is because some are given or sponsored by companies to carry and feed their brands. Because shelters are driven by donations, this courtesy is readily accepted by shelters so that they can operate. Please stop throwing shelters into this because it is not what this is about is it?

I don't know if any of us are going to really satisfy your request. Based on my own personal experience, and the loss of some of my pets in the past due to poor nutrition I also jump on this so called bandwagon of educating. It may save alot of people some grief.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Geek Club CEO

One thing to consider, which I don't think has been mentioned here, is that although the cost of some of the better varieties (and there are a number of good, wet, grain-free varieties out there) is admitedly often more expensive per can than most supermarket brands, typically one does not have to feed as MUCH per meal of the better quality foods. They contain less bulk/fillers and more quality protein, which is highly digestible (as opposed to fillers like corn which basically get pooped out with little nutrient uptake along the way). In other words, a cat that typically has to eat half a can of "poorer quality" food in order to maintain may only have to eat a quarter can of "better quality" food to maintain.
So, per-can...yes, most good foods are costlier. Per day, however, the cost usually works out to be less expensive. This is also very often the case with dry foods (not recommended for cats, but I experienced this myself with my dogs when switching to a better food, before we ultimiately switched to raw).
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:27 AM
-

Quote:
My point is not me.

My point is so many others out there that are using it. The shelter I volunteer at. People on here are saying wah, there are other choices. What others? You're going to jump on a bandwagon of disdain of a particular food, but no one here seems to be able to have understanding of why it is even a choice for so many. It's a huge divide I see between this forum and the "real world".

back to being out and out rude again....
I guess there was no point in this thread because there are no alternatives and so the thread might as well be closed. YOu either get good or you get cheap. When I buy clothes, I don't always think I have to spend big bucks to get quality, I shop wisely. Ditto for my own food, if I shop at various stores and get bulk, etc. I thought people on here might have some info about quality pet food that is the same. I guess not.
K i seriously have to say this now,,you have been given an astounding amount of great info on excellent food choices for you pets you just don't want to hear it...You will NOT find a GOOD pet food at your local grocerie store plain and simple..they are all mass produced by Mars, Purina,,etc,,full of grains and corn...NOW,,,how dare you make any nasty comments about the members of this forum, you know nothing about these people..One woman has over 30 cats that she feeds daily because joe blow finds it fit to just toss them out the car window as they drive by,,,Several members here are in rescue or Foster unwanted animals, We recently just did a relay from Montreal to Grimsby of a momma cat and her kittens. The members here spend every waking hour educating themselves about animal health to help others out..How bout you listen to what some of them have to say and stop with the insults.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM

I did not feel what I said was a personal insult to anyone here, and I'm sorry if that's what you read in my words.

I was commenting on the feedback and info I have been given, which no, does not satisfy the request to find an alternative to the majority consumers out there. Like I said, I guess there IS no alternative. That's not a slam on people here and the very good info given. It's a sad fact of the pet food industry, wouldn't you agree?
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Like I said, I guess there IS no alternative.
Did you see this:?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
So, per-can...yes, most good foods are costlier. Per day, however, the cost usually works out to be less expensive.
Perhaps the "alternative" (i.e., a seemingly "cheaper" food) is not required, since it's already been provided?
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
One thing to consider, which I don't think has been mentioned here, is that although the cost of some of the better varieties (and there are a number of good, wet, grain-free varieties out there) is admitedly often more expensive per can than most supermarket brands, typically one does not have to feed as MUCH per meal of the better quality foods. They contain less bulk/fillers and more quality protein, which is highly digestible (as opposed to fillers like corn which basically get pooped out with little nutrient uptake along the way). In other words, a cat that typically has to eat half a can of "poorer quality" food in order to maintain may only have to eat a quarter can of "better quality" food to maintain.
So, per-can...yes, most good foods are costlier. Per day, however, the cost usually works out to be less expensive. This is also very often the case with dry foods (not recommended for cats, but I experienced this myself with my dogs when switching to a better food, before we ultimiately switched to raw).
That's a very good point, and definitely worth considering how long a bag or can lasts when making a choice.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
I guess there was no point in this thread because there are no alternatives and so the thread might as well be closed. YOu either get good or you get cheap.
Driver8 - If you insist on insisting that "we" are not listening please read the following which I posted in your other thread at 11:12 pm Sept 13, post #35. You seem to have skimmed over it and picked out one part you didn't like and responded to it. If you notice - I bolded it for you here - I gave you a "healthier alternative" for a dry cat food that costs less per feeding than your little bag of Iams. It is the 20 pound bag of food from Costco which averages between $13.99 to $14.99. Price per feeding would work out considerably less for that than feeding the tiny bag of Iams @ what? 12.99 a bag? I think that is what it is sold for in the store I work in.

BUT - with the help of this forum and a lot of reading and educating myself as to what is good/bad for my cats I know dry foods filled with grain/corn and tons of by products are only harming my cats. My cats go through close to 300 cans of food a week. That would be a mix of the cheaper foods, some Fancy Feasts, Performatrin Ultra, Wellness, and other good foods if I can find good deals on it. They get a small amount of dry to supplement but I make sure it is the best dry I can afford. I chose ones that do not have grain or corn in them. If you must feed dry then Kirkland brand from Costco is a better choice for people on a budget. The first ingredients in it is chicken. Not by products of chicken. Chicken. Not grain or corn. Even if you don't have a membership I would bet lots of your friends do and would be willing to pick up a bag. Please make sure your cat(s) always have plenty of fresh water available to them as they will be chronically dehydrated.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
That's a very good point, and definitely worth considering how long a bag or can lasts when making a choice.
I know it's a major consideration for us (when you have 6 mouths to feed, every penny counts!). I can also say that better food has saved us a ton of money in vet bills for both the dogs and the cats...many of the chronic issues we were dealing with disappeared...along with the vet bills!
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Driver8 - If you insist on insisting that "we" are not listening please read the following which I posted in your other thread at 11:12 pm Sept 13, post #35. You seem to have skimmed over it and picked out one part you didn't like and responded to it. If you notice - I bolded it for you here - I gave you a "healthier alternative" for a dry cat food that costs less per feeding than your little bag of Iams. It is the 20 pound bag of food from Costco which averages between $13.99 to $14.99. Price per feeding would work out considerably less for that than feeding the tiny bag of Iams @ what? 12.99 a bag? I think that is what it is sold for in the store I work in.

BUT - with the help of this forum and a lot of reading and educating myself as to what is good/bad for my cats I know dry foods filled with grain/corn and tons of by products are only harming my cats. My cats go through close to 300 cans of food a week. That would be a mix of the cheaper foods, some Fancy Feasts, Performatrin Ultra, Wellness, and other good foods if I can find good deals on it. They get a small amount of dry to supplement but I make sure it is the best dry I can afford. I chose ones that do not have grain or corn in them. If you must feed dry then Kirkland brand from Costco is a better choice for people on a budget. The first ingredients in it is chicken. Not by products of chicken. Chicken. Not grain or corn. Even if you don't have a membership I would bet lots of your friends do and would be willing to pick up a bag. Please make sure your cat(s) always have plenty of fresh water available to them as they will be chronically dehydrated.
Perfect - thanks for posting this here.
How many cats do you have, to go through that many cans??

Now I have to see if I know anyone with a costco membership to price out the cat foods there.....
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:38 AM
-

yes i would agree,,just as i find it sad that a major league baseball play was banned from playing and any chance of being in the hall of fame was taken away meanwhile a football player convicted of dog fighting is not only allowed to play but is cheered..Industry doesn't give a crap about our animals,,law doesn't give a crap about them either,,,this forum and its regular members DO..What is need is for the grocery stores and stores like walmart to start carrying brands like Wellness,,Evo,,etc.

Alot of the medical issues our animals suffer from today are from the crap foods in grocery stores. All which can be avoided by a little self education. Shelters feed what they are supplied because of cost.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Perfect - thanks for posting this here.
How many cats do you have, to go through that many cans??

Now I have to see if I know anyone with a costco membership to price out the cat foods there.....
She has about elevently-million

I think memberships are free?