Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM

worried and rushing to the vet

Hello all,

I just need to get it out a little bit. Thank you for your understanding. My cat has been very sick and I am very worried. She has more and more frequent gastrointestinal problems. We think she has IBD. She had blood in her stool before, but this time it is worst:sad:

I called the vet yesterday, she had been vomiting saliva every 10 to 12 hours since 24 hours so he told me to wait...In the night, she had a stool with blood and vomited saliva again. This morning she vomited more blood, it was like pink saliva and she had digested blood in her stool. I am so worried...The last time she was sick was just a month a ago. She is sick like that once a month since january. I am just waiting for the vet clinic to open and I am rushing there. I know this can be a symptom of a severe condition and I pray that they will be able to control the situation now and for the long term.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no! I'm so sorry you're going through this, and I hope your kitty makes a quick recovery. Let us know how she does.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

for your girl today,hope what's ailing her can be cured
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM

so...I am back from the vet and thought I would give a little update...

basically, since it's chronic and she never been tested, he suggested an endoscopy. She will be going for that tomorrow morning. He gave her subcutanous fluids and something for the nausea. He said she can wait until tomorrow morning so it is going to be another day without food. She had a little bit of bloody diarrhea on her return and she is resting now. It is a new vet and he seems very opened and listens carefully. I told him that cortisone worries me and he agrees that it is not his favorite treatment. It's part of the reason he wants to know exactly what the problem is so we can treat the cause and not just the symptoms. He is also opened to a regular treatment combined with alimentation and homeopathy. He thinks the bleeding is caused by ulceration.

I am crossing my fingers that she won't get worse over the day. He seemed to think she could tough it out. She had no temperature.

I try to keep a positive energy so she won't be affected by my stress
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

and for a positive answer. It's tough when our furbabies are sick.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh good luck! I'm sending some good vibes your way for your girl.

I'm very happy you have a vet that cares about your baby.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh poor kitty,poor you.most of us know what a heartbreaking situation you are in:sad:
I am glad your vet is more open to alternative treatments,not just euthanazia.
What's your kitties name,is she a Sphynx???
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Group hug for both of you! Thanks for updating and please continue. This is a great place for emotional support!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM

Thank you all for your good words. It is indeed very difficult for me at the moment. I am so scared for her...

By the way, she is a 2 yo cornish rex and her name is Lychee. She does not have much fur, but it might be linked to malabsorption. She used to have more.

I had to bring her back at the vet and she is going to stay over night. Her endoscopy is in the morning. She had diarrhea again and it was only blood. She vomited blood as well. It is so heartbreaking. I prepared her cage and brought a box with some of my clothes so she can hide in it. I can visit her whenever I can. The vet gave her a preventive antibiotic for tomorrow, something to calm nausea and a medication for ulcers to stop the bleeding.
I am very worried and I hope the endoscopy won't be to irritanting for her system.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM

poor little thing!

hi there.

so sorry to hear about lychee's troubles. it's hard to leave them at the vet's, but morning will be here before you know it, and you'll hopefully have some answers then. i'll cross my fingers for you both.

tracy
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. Sounds like she's in good hands. and that you get some definite answers tomorrow and the vet can suggest a treatment that works!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Doggie Wench

She's in a good place dodecaphonie. she'll be on the road to recovery asap.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope your little girl will be okay. Hopefully what they do tomorrow will help the vet figure out how to treat her so she doesn't have to go through this anymore.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM

to hear of your little girl's troubles....try and have a good sleep tonight, she will need you strong and ready to cater to her when she comes home...

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Senior Contributor

for Lychee today and for you in these difficult times
Lychee is a beautiful name for a beautiful kitty
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Kitty pimp

a special buddah rub for Lychee hoping all goes well
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM
~Cat Servent~

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:20 PM
-

dodecaphonie, I just read your thread now and I am so sorrry to hear what you and Lychee are going through. I hope you have some good news today.
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Hello all !

First of all I want to thank all of you for being so supportive. It really helps to read all your words of encouragement

I have some news...

So she had the endoscopy today and the vet did biopsies of the intestine. He said there were bad ulcerations and a lot of blood, especially in the colon. I will have the results of the biopsy in 4-5 days. He told me that she was more alert today and that she remains calm and sociable so that is somewhat of a good sign He continues to give her medication to prevent vomiting and something to help the lining of the GI tract less irritated. She will also receive antibiotics in prevention since she is still weak and at risk of contracting something else. He will be giving her steroids ( but I don't remember the name). They are given once a day and don't have a long term action. I told him that I was a little wary of this kind of medication, but it's only for now because she needs treatment and we know that it has worked in the past. When we get the diagnostic, we will discuss an appropriate long term treatment.

Tonight they are going to try to feed her because she has not eaten since sunday night. They will force feed her if need be. I like this clinic, they are very nice and comprehensive. They accepted that I bring the food that she is used to ( Innova Evo canned venison and Nature's variety instinct canned venison ) and the vet did not insist on putting her on a "prescription diet" . Also, the clinic is closed on sunday, but he said they can arrange something so I could go and visit her. I feel like they treat the animal and they understand that it is also difficult for the owner.

I hope the treatment will help her until I get the final results and that she will be able to eat and keep it down

I will keep you posted ! Kisses from Lychee for your good vibes
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm crossing my fingers she doesn't have anything serious. It sounds like you have found a really great vet. I think it's so important for us to feel comfortable with who is treating our babies.

Please keep us posted.

Old April 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM

I am back from visiting her. She was still very sleepy, but at some point she came to me and rubbed her face against mine. She is such a sweetie

She did not eat :sad: I talked to vet that was there...of course it's been too long since she ate... I am worried about that. But he said they will wait until tomorrow morning to force feed her because of the anesthesia she had today.

I kissed her good night and here I am. I will let you know what happens. I feel like 5 days is so long to know the result of the biopsies.
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww, the waiting is so hard! All fingers and paws here are crossed that the biopsy results show something manageable. As for the not eating, when you next visit Lychee, can you bring her something really tasty like plain chicken baby food? Maybe she'll eat it off your finger? That's the only thing that works for my kitty when he's staying at the "vet spa".

Best wishes to you and Lychee.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for continued improvement, dodecaphonie.

We had a dog with severe IBD and he was put on prednisone (prednisolone is the active form) to get it under control. We didn't want to use steroids, either, but sometimes you just have to risk it because it's the best thing to get the inflammation under control.

Waiting for biopsy results is the hardest thing. I hope you get good news!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww,it must be so difficult both for you and Lychee,there is tons of good vibes and wishes coming from here,she just has to get better
At this point with her not eating,not even the good food you are bringing,I would definetly try the baby-food,anything is worth a try to get her some nourishmentto you and little Lychee
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

It sounds like she has ulcerative colitis, poor thing, the biopsy will confirm. Because this is an autoimmune disease, one of the only ways to get it under control is steriods, prednisone is the one they use on humans. Many humans also get nauseous and loose their appetites during a flare.

I know of somebody who had luck putting their kitty on a raw diet, didn't stop all the flares, but did help minimize them and they weren't as frequent.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Today's update :

I visited Lychee this afternoon and she is doing much better

She ate by herself during last night so they did not have to force feed her this morning. They wanted to make sure she ate so she offered her 4 choices of food. The two that she usually eats and Hill's hypoallergenic and Z/D. I am not in favor of these last two, but she really needed to eat so I just thought it was better than nothing for now. She ate the Z/D...She ate that in the past she had rather soft stools. I told them but they said that for the moment, as long as she gets her appetite back. She did not eat during the day, but when I visited her, I fed her from my hand and she ate half of the portion...of the Z/D...oh well !

Alsom she did not vomit since yesterday morning and did not have bloody diarrhea

She was very enthusiastic when she saw me and she welcomed me meowing of joy ! I can see that she is tired though because 15 minutes after the excitement, she just went back sleeping. They wait to see if she poops normally...but the vet will reevaluate her tomorrow and she might be coming back home

I really like this place. They think of the psychologic state of the animal in relation the the process of healing. The vet said that if she is well enough, he prefers her to be at home and that her healing will be faster this way.

Until the next update...thank you all and good night !
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear she's got her appetite back! Even if you don't like the food for her, at least she's eating something, which right now, is important for her to regain her strength.

I hope she's well enough to go home with you.

Keep up the updates!

Old April 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so glad she's doing better. You must be so relieved! that she's released tomorrow!

Incidentally, although the Z/D looks like crap when you read the ingredients, it was the only thing that worked for our IBD dog, Evan. Sometimes you just have to go with what works.

Old April 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
-

I am so glad to hear that Lychee is doing better......you must feel like a big weight has been removed from your shoulders.

Yes, the Z/D does look like crappy ingredients but, in cases like this, it's the best thing to feed until their appetite comes back. I hope that Lychee will be able to come home tomorrow where she will be much happier recovering.
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Senior Contributor

That is great news and I agree with the others,whatever she will eat at this point is ok,as long as she gets her strenght back and gets well.
When it's safe for her to come home,it's certain she will recover faster..
Half the battle is having a wonderful vet and I am glad you do..
Please continue to keep us updated and to you and little Lychee