Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old October 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Pot Bellied Pigs - allowed in Montreal?

Hi Montrealers!

Just curious if anyone knows if it's legal to keep a pot bellied pig as a pet in montreal.

thx!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Not sure Marko but by definition they are considered livestock and if this classification has not changed then they would not be allowed within city limits. Try consulting with the MSPCA as I am certain they will know.

Why? You thinking of getting one?
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Carmy and I are all muddled these days...we don't know what we are thinking but we love pigs especially cute little ones. Yeah i doubt they are allowed either but I'll call the SPCA...

Thx!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Mickey, my angel

A cute little pot belly pig grows up to be 120 lbs. if you're lucky, 150 to 250 lbs. if you're not.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM

Yup - I know that but I have a lot to learn about them.

Not sure they are good at climbing stairs for example, anyone know the answer to that?

Thx!
Marko
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Marko I have a coworker that started off with 1 pot bellied pig named Luther! He is the cutest thing. He is very big now. We used to laugh because she also has cats, dogs, a gecco and other creatures and Luther. He needed alot of training but she managed to litter train him as well. Now Luther lives in the city of hamilton and I dont know the rules but she must have had no issues because she now has gotten a 2nd one.

They have quite the personality from what she tells me. The MAJOR problem she had was that she allowed him to sleep in their bed and it was very very difficult to train him to not go on the bed.

She asked me for help and I told her to get him a doggy bed and teach him by laying there with him...Well she did and she fell asleep...when she woke up she was on the floor on the doggie bed and Luther was in her bed snoring away!!!!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the input Winston. This is just a VERY preliminary consideration on my part....

A pig in the bed, Carmy already has one, what's one more LOL.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
A pig in the bed, Carmy already has one, what's one more LOL.
Good one..

Yes Marko but animal pigs LISTEN!
Old October 8th, 2010, 08:06 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Marko, have you had luck with the MSPCA? I've met one potbelly pig who lived in Verdun for over 10 yrs but was only allowed because he "Harley Davidson" was used during the day for Pet Therapy at the Douglas Hospital.

The owner had problems once the hospital no longer used him because of the by-laws and zonings. Since pet stores still sell them as pets many municipals changed their by-laws where their now under the "hoof" category making them illegal to own.

But yes they climb stairs and do everything a dog or cat can do. Harley was known to knock on the backdoor when he needed to go potty Sadly he had to be re-homed but he's not too far away
Old October 8th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yes Marko but animal pigs LISTEN!
Carmy listens...when she wants to. LOL

Quote:
Marko, have you had luck with the MSPCA? I've met one potbelly pig who lived in Verdun for over 10 yrs but was only allowed because he "Harley Davidson" was used during the day for Pet Therapy at the Douglas Hospital.

The owner had problems once the hospital no longer used him because of the by-laws and zonings. Since pet stores still sell them as pets many municipals changed their by-laws where their now under the "hoof" category making them illegal to own.

But yes they climb stairs and do everything a dog or cat can do. Harley was known to knock on the backdoor when he needed to go potty Sadly he had to be re-homed but he's not too far away
Thx GG, no luck with the MSPCA, haven't called me back yet. I think I'll have to call the Ville for proper/official info. Thanks for the extra info on the stairs in particular.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=marko;957548]Carmy listens...when she wants to. LOL

QUOTE]

My point exactly...this was not intended for Carmy.
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM

Doh ya got me.

I think it would be fun and amusing to walk our pet pig down the street and bring him/her to family dinners with the other human children in our extended family. We'd dress the pig up for sure...and give it more love than it could handle. Piggy would also be very safe living with 2 vegetarians - lol.

..but Montreal has it's fair share of other pet loving weirdos lol. Surely if they were allowed we'd be seeing pet pigs in public. Haven't heard back from the Ville either though.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Well Marko - I hope you get your piggy. I know that he/she would have one heck of a home.
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Doggie Wench

According to this website, stairs are not safe for pot-bellied pigs . Can you install a ramp, Marko? They can also get as big as 250lbs .

http://www.pigs4ever.com/PotBelliedPigInfo/FAQs.htm

If you're interested, I know someone who has a 5 month old for adoption...she's in Montreal and has leash-trained/socialized him. Let me know if you'd like to meet him .
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

you do have to watch as pigs in general are very territorial and can cause a nasty bite!! They are mischievious and love to sneak up behind you and chomp on what ever part of you they can reach. They do best as an only pet unless it is with other pigs. Large or small breed they all have the same type of personality, we use to walk our 400+ pound pigs on leashes all the time and would take part in parades. Our city does not allow them and our pet stores are not allowed to sell them, thats not to say there aren't a few around, my cousin sold her house in the city and bought in the country because neighbours complained
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Owned by Saints

I ended up 'pig' sitting for a friend of mine. She bought a pot belly pig and then found out he was not allowed in city limits. They were going to remove him from her home so he came here since I live in the middle of nowhere, lol.

Let me tell you.. Oliver was a handful and then some. He loved to sneak up and bite the back of your knees. LOL Painful expecially since his little tusks were coming in. He also like to um... hump. Me mainly. He didn't do stairs at all, I had to carry him (he hated being picked up, and scream.. he had some good lungs ) and he didn't like to walk on the linoleum or hardwood floors because he would slip.

The playpen was his bed. LOL The sandbox was bought for him to use as a potty but he would hold it until I took him outside. So easy to housetrain. Notice he's staying on the carpet looking at the wood floor. He was trying to follow me. Everyone laughs at this pic because I have a pig in my rec-room and he looks so out of place.

Loved belly rubs. LOL

Definitely an interesting pet. Lots of work to keep indoors. Although I'm not sure i'd want a 250 pound pig inside. Oliver was almost 30 pounds at 10 weeks old.. so he would have been BIG. He was terrified of my dogs or I would have kept him and I couldn't put him outside since he would have needed a heated area for winter.

My friend had a hard time finding someone to take him that could provide properly for him, so he went back to the breeder. Just thought I'd share.
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
..but Montreal has it's fair share of other pet loving weirdos lol. Surely if they were allowed we'd be seeing pet pigs in public. Haven't heard back from the Ville either though.
You'd probably be better off going in person to the city. If you'd like I can give you the contact name and number of the woman who owns Harley who would be more then happy to properly fill you in the good and bad
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM

OMG - those pics are cute and thanks so much for the info. I really doubt this will happen for carmy and me but it's always fun to pigdream, lol. Sure GG that contact info would be most appreciated - Thx!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:42 AM

help!

Hey guys I am in a situation and need a place to take a small vietnamese pot bellied pig right away. Any of the breaders people spoke about on here? I would really appreciate any info or contacts to get this done. for the sake of the pig!

tj
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

where are you located tj76?
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM

montreal
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

darn there was a rescue in thunder bay....
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

you could try big sky ranch in kempville...its a wonderful sanctuary

http://www.bigskyranch.ca/htmldocs/animals_pigs.html
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM

I knew someone working at the SPCA in NS who had a potbellied pig and a small pitbull who were about the same size (both full grown) about 40lbs. I don't know how her's stayed so small considering most don't. The pig really appeared like a dog, not over sized, or full of fat rolls.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:51 PM

Hi Marko! Sorry if I'm answering so late to this. I live in Montreal as well Pot bellied pigs are not legal, unless you own a farm. They are not allowed in apartments or town houses. However, you are allowed to have MICRO PIGS (those small, adorable piglets!) in your town house or big apartment. Those are legal, and there are breeders in Quebec too
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:29 PM

Luccistar - Micro pigs don't exist. The tiny pigs that are advertised are either simply newborn or they are starved to be kept small. It is a scam - one that hurts your wallet and the pigs themselves who usually are abandoned once they grow up.

http://www.teacuppig.info

There are tons of resources like this that confirm this story.