Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old August 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Small breed Suggestions??

I think we`ll be more than able to help out by adopting one. I`d like a small dog since we live in an apartment and I would be the primary adopter. I`d like to bring him where I go. Is a chi a good bet for that, or are they just too noisy? Is that trainable? I read they`re great apartment dogs, and I`m really leaning towards one, they seem to be very loyal and giving. I just love them, but I feel I need more info.

What other breeds would you recommend for me? And if a chi is the best way to go, should I just apply at various organizations and patiently wait? Because that`s what I`m doing now, but I haven`t heard anything yet. I went to a few clinics too.
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Unfortunetly most small breed dogs are barkers. I have an italian greyhound, small but bigger than a chi, they don't really bark but are kind of shy. Chi's also tend to be shy around new people, but of course there are always exceptions. for instance my co-worker has a chi that is just the sweetest thing loves everyone and doesn't bark often at all, but on the other hand the lady next door has one that never stops yapping and has bit me twice and tryed to attack my dog. It would probably be difficult to train a chi not to bark but it could be done. just remember training a chi not to bark is going to take a lot of time and effort, don't expect results in a week or even 2 for that matter. otherwise they are really loving affectionent dogs (with their owners anyway). as far as where to get one i would contact a rescue and give one a home that may otherwise never have one. there are others on here that can give you much better info on where to get one.
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

You need to tell us where you are.

Individual dogs are all different of course, but a misconception is that small dogs do better in apartments than big dogs. Many small breeds are more active and energetic than big ones.

I wouldn't recommend any smaller terriers for apts, and as Jackie said, lots of small dogs are big barkers!

You may be able to find a quiet Chi (my sister in law has one) but you will have to be patient.

Two small dogs that are good for apts can be Boston Terriers and Pugs. They are not nearly as small as a Chi, but might be breeds you want to look at!
Old August 21st, 2004, 01:00 PM
Crusader

my brother got a yorkie.. i'll try to find pics his name is bengie but he never barks.. he does however play play play and umm sad but true hump everything lol but that's my brother's fault!
just make sure you're ready to take out doggie every 4 hours since you live in an Apartment! during the day atlease 3 times..
ohh yeah found them!
here's one
more pictures can be found here
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6613
Attached Images

Old August 21st, 2004, 01:16 PM

Gee iron, I'm glad your bro's Yorkie doesn't bark (he's a cutie, too! ). Our previous neighbors had 2 Yorkies who wouldn't shut up! Maybe that happens when you put two of 'em together?
Old August 21st, 2004, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Cute little scamp!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:34 AM

Thanks guys! That`s really helpful info. I live in Montreal and have been searching throughout the summer. I definitely agree that I have to be patient; I think sooner or later our paths will cross! I just have to be diligent about it too. I would be willing to train. I don`t want to seem like I`m being picky about getting a quiet dog, you know? It would be preferable, but my main reason is to help save a life, tha`s really the bottom line. I`m also willing to drive within reasonable distances, like TO or Ottawa.
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh - Montreal! Have you contacted the rescues around here? You can get in touch, tell them what you are looking for and get on a waiting list.

If you don't know who they are, let me know and I'll give you a list.
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Thanks Lucky! Ya, I keep checking at the SPCA, I got on the waiting list of the CCRT (chi rescue) in Ottawa (I`m willing to drive), as well as animatch.ca, rosieanimaladoption.org, animalrescuenetwork.org, Hugs for Homeless animals, Adopt an Animal, and I`m on the chi lovers meetup in Montreal. *laughs* Am I missing any? Let me know, it`ll better my chances!

I think it`ll take time. When it`s meant to happen, it`ll happen! I know of a few breeders around here, but I really don`t want to go that route; there`s too many homeless out there that could be mine too, you know? I found a purebreed breeder rescue (not sure what that is, I think that`s the name). Her name is Sasha and she`s on petfinder.com too. Do you know anything about it? I think she helps rescure purebreds, but I`m not sure Anyway, keep an eye for me too! I don`t care if he/she`s an adult - easier to train, plus Chis live long too.
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Sasha's? Yes I know of them. I just checked and they have a purebred 2 yr old Chi!!!

Better hurry!!!

Chico
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:17 PM

I know! Isnīt he just gorgeous?? I emailed about him, but they told me that they have 4 people already on the waiting list for him, so īthereīs a good chance I wonīt get himī. Oh well. At least heīll go to another good home, even if itīs not mine. Thatīs all I really care about anyway.

I emailed every rescue about all of them: chico has a list, honey and pippy have to go together (Iīm really only looking for one), Penny has 2 adoptions pending, they havenīt gotten back to me about Willie or Bob yet, Panther is too far for them to send to me in Montreal, etc. Iīm not giving up though. Itīs better to hear that theyīre wanted by others other than me! Itīs a good thing!
Old August 26th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not surprised. Small, young purebreds are always snatched up.

If Chico hasn't been adopted yet, dont' give up! Send more emails, telling them why YOU are the perfect home for him and how much you want him.

Tell them anything that might weigh in your favour.

In the meantime, I will keep my ears open for any Chis. Would you take another breed, or a mix?

And if you haven't done research on this breed, you should do that too. Chis can be VERY hard to housetrain, they *can* be barky, and they usually bond closely with only one person.
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by jealma; April 5th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I Love My Mini's

old thread thats for sure