Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 11th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Need advice

I have 3 dogs, 13, 11 and 3. I have always given them Heartgard and Frontline and taken them in for annual booster shots and of course Rabies shots. I am just wondering if the two older ones need everything. My dogs use our back yard and stay indoors mostly. I find my vet bills staggering during annual checkups and would like to know if anyone thinks some or any of these expenses might not be totally necessary. Please do not misunderstand, my dogs mean everything to me, and I would never skimp if I thought I was depriving them of what is necessary. Thanks for your input.
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I do not think that yearly shots are good on animals. My bet told me to do the flea drops, rabbi shots and the heart guard but not to do the shots every year. I am not sure how often they reccomend if you do not do them yearly. I know they say if the dog is inside more than not and not around alot of other dogs than there is no reason to do all that all the time. Just my opinion there are alot more people on here that can help you more than I can since I am in the middle of raising a puppy now. That is just what the vet told me about the cat and dogs in general.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

The law states a dog must have rabies vaccinations once every 3 years.

Other than that, I would not bother with other shots for your older dogs. As for heartworm, if your dogs test clear one year, they shouldn't really need a test the next year - just the Heartguard. My dog did not get a blood test this year, since she was clear last year.

In fact, I stopped getting heartworm testing done on my dog when he was 12. He was a large dog, and I knew he would die of old age before heartworms could ever kill him. Your young dog should be kept on the Heartguard.

I also do not get Frontline or Advantage, etc, unless I actually see a flea. I don't believe in using pesticides or chemicals on dogs unless necessary.

I know your bills would be staggering and I don't think all these shots, etc. are necessary unless your dogs are running loose, which they are not.

So - rabies shot every 3 years, Heartguard for young dog, and Frontline if you see fleas.

*JMO*
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I only do rabies and bordetello(sp) and the one for kennel cough every year because my guy goes to doggy daycare sometimes. Otherwise I would do it every of year my vet says that these stay in there systems and continue to work longer than 1 year why overdo it.
Old August 11th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Thanks everyone

Thany you all for your advice. It sure helps me decide what to do.

Lee
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Other then the above

I also do not believe in annual vaccines you can do titer tests every year to check and see if the dog is still carrying antibodies for the diseases. Much better then toxification process of more vaccines.

The only other concern I have is Leptosporosis. Check to see what the incidents in your area are for that.