Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM

Unhappy Help with training older dog...

My old neighbors had a Great Pyrenees that stayed outside all the time and they did not want her anymore so I took her from them. But before I took her we had already developed a relationship. They didnt pay her much attention and she was never played with so she loved it when I played with her. She is now living with me and I thought this would be a breeze because she has always been very calm natured even though she did bark alot. But now she has gone haywire...she is starting to be destructive and not on purpose I don't think but since she is so big she tears stuff up...I can't eat around her or she will go crazy trying to get the food, she tore my porch up one day while I was gone and she barks constantly at anything and nothing...then yesterday she attacked a dog that came into the yard. I really love her and I know she is happier now than before because I do pay her some attention but it's almost like she is a puppy again and she is 6 years old. I have never had a problem with her using the bathroom in the house but I really need help in trying to train her not to bark so much and just general obedience training...I have tried training her to sit while I eat and I was consistent with it but it never worked. I have also tried a shaker can for her barking and it worked at first but then she paid it no attention. She is really stressing me out with her barking and I'm afraid the neighbors will start getting mad soon....PLEASE HELP!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

this is a very large dog that has spent a great deal of time outside and was probably never taught proper house or social manners.

My best suggestion as a starting point, is to enroll in some obedience classes, as it seems you have a few issues to address at once.

Attending classes will help establish you as the leader, help define your relationship, teach you hands-on techniques to train, and how to deal with multiple problems.

btw, I think it's great you took this girl in!
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Also...

Also, she has never seen a crate before and I was thinking of getting her one. As of right now I put her outside while I am gone. Do you think I should try crating her while I am gone all day or do you think she will be too bored?
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiebmax05
Also, she has never seen a crate before and I was thinking of getting her one. As of right now I put her outside while I am gone. Do you think I should try crating her while I am gone all day or do you think she will be too bored?
Ok, first understand CRATE TRAINING if you choose to go that route. Crating a dog ALL DAY that has NEVER seen a crate before will cause MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR problems. don't do it.

your first step should be reading up on crate training, and understanding how to introduce it, and how to use the crate, how long to crate a dog, etc... you can't just plop a dog in a crate all day and expect it to be ok. it won't be.

as I said in my last post, you have alot of issues going on that would be best dealt with in a hands-on training program. Even the large pet supply store chains are now offering training classes.
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Great Pyr are beautiful ! Have you checked out any websites about them?
They are part of the flock guardian breeds, and were bred to work think independently, without human commands. The training for these breeds is different then other dogs, as other breeds often aim to please their owner, whereas the flock guardian breeds are very stubborn (independent I call it) so are quite challenging to train.

As for attacking a dog that came on your property, that's exactly what your the great Pyr breed has been bred to do! to ward off and or attack anything that enters it's territory, or that it feels is a threat to it's "flock" (you and your family)

You are very lucky to have such a wonderful breed, but please try and learn as much about the breed and the training of the breed, as you can (if you haven't already).

As jessi said, your can't lock him in a crate all day, especially this breed, he's a working dog, and if he doesn't have work to do, he gets destructive.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76
this is a very large dog that has spent a great deal of time outside and was probably never taught proper house or social manners.

My best suggestion as a starting point, is to enroll in some obedience classes, as it seems you have a few issues to address at once.

Attending classes will help establish you as the leader, help define your relationship, teach you hands-on techniques to train, and how to deal with multiple problems.

btw, I think it's great you took this girl in!
I completely agree. This girl needs some professional help with her manners, since she is already 6 years old and kinda 'set in her ways'. Find a good dog trainer in your area. Make sure they use gentle training methods (no hitting or harsh corrections) -- preferably positive reinforcement training. Any dog can learn manners, no matter the age, she just needs some gentle guidance.

Good luck

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

It's as though you brought home a child who never learned how to be with society - she is going to need your patience and understanding.
A great training program will be very beneficial.
You are going to have to be aware of a few factors. She has never had a leader and has had to look out for herself all of these years so it might take her a bit of convincing that your word has value and should be respected. Stick to your guns and you should be fine. You might have to be even more diligent than if she were a new puppy.
Next, once she fully bonds to you you could have issues. Think of your first love - you got very attached - almost clingy. She might do the same. Dogs like this can over bond and then you have seperation anxiety issues. So try to keep things in balance.
Thanks again for taking her in. This will be a challenging few months ahead but will be so worth it.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended