Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
~Cat Servent~

Angry Renderers

My God where to start on this one. I stumbled upon a couple articles while researching holistic remedies and my new food. They had me so upset I actually got sick to my stomach. I heard about this process just briefly from my mother in law but kind of brushed it off like who would let that happen. But apparently the gov. and regulatory people do! I can't even express in words how appauled I am right now. Boiling down euthanized pets, roadkill, leftover kill floor scraps and rancid meat for the 'protein' ingredients in retail dog and cat food! Are they serious? And why hasn't an animal rights groups assasinated these monsters yet?! And they get these animals from our vets!!!! Our trusted vets!!! It's so sad. And WRONG!!!! What do I do? Where do I go? How do we stop this horrific practice? How do I find out if I've been feeding my babies other peoples dead pets???? Who can I sue if I have, for my mental anguish???!!!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM

ALthough I am not sure how you can start this practice, you can be assured that if you are using a SPECIES specific meal, you ARE NOT using pets. This means if you are using "chicken" meal, "lamb" meals etc they do not contain pets . What you are speaking of is "meat" meal, not specific. I am not aware of any holistic pet food that uses this meal. It is only in low grade kibble (which I "assume" you are not feeding)
You can write to manufacturers that use this meal, and ask them what their meal is, or if they are using pets, I suppose....

Last edited by gypsy_girl; February 9th, 2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old February 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

One of the reasons I dare not buy the garbage sold at grocery stores is because of the lax (in some cases none) regulatory practices vis a vis pet food. I buy mine from a wholesaler I trust but I need to know every ingredient prior to having made that decision. There are some food pet foods which have been mentioned here and I do not want to list those which are not suffice to say, do your research and be certain you are getting the food pets need.

Needless to say, the worst of the worst is the generic brands marketed by chain stores. I shudder to think what might be in that. It is not unusual for rendering plants to sell to pet food manufacturers.
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post
ALthough I am not sure how you can start this practice, you can be assured that if you are using a SPECIES specific meal, you ARE NOT using pets. This means if you are using "chicken" meal, "lamb" measl etc. What you are speaking of is "meat" meal, not specific. I am not aware of any holistic pet food that uses this meal. It is only in low grade kibble (which I "assume" you are not feeding)
I agree. Any "meat" or "animal" meat, meal, bone, digest in a food could be ANYTHING. I doubt we can ever stop rendering, but we can try out best to avoid it by avoiding the sickening foods with mystery meats and by getting our pets cremated.
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldnt blame the renderers.If your "trusted vet" sends animals there they should tell you.Cremating your animals or burying them avoids them being sent to renderers.And not buying low end foods for your animals.

And I would avoid foods with meat meal,bone digest and other generic type names for their proteins.Rendering is huge although a large chuck of it stopped in Ontario and Quebec as far as their products being in pet food when the Quebec rendering plant made the huge decision to stop rendering companion animals.That was a HUGE decision!
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
Rendering is huge although a large chuck of it stopped in Ontario and Quebec as far as their products being in pet food when the Quebec rendering plant made the huge decision to stop rendering companion animals.That was a HUGE decision!
LL1, would you have a link to the article please? would love to read about it... fascinating stuff. I can't find any information on it, myself (ON and QC not rendering companion animals anymore). where do all the bodies go to now?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
LL1, would you have a link to the article please? would love to read about it... fascinating stuff. I can't find any information on it, myself (ON and QC not rendering companion animals anymore). where do all the bodies go to now?
:sad: :sad: Your local garbage dump. :sad: :sad:
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Honest Contributor

rainbow i read that it was against the law, because of biohazard issues (vermin, contamination, disease, etc).

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Here is some more information. This from 1996-1997 magazine. I hope it has been stopped since this.
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/petfood1.html

Last edited by Cathy1; February 9th, 2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
rainbow i read that it was against the law, because of biohazard issues (vermin, contamination, disease, etc).
I don't know about today for sure.....I would have to check. They were doing it here in 2003/2004. :sad:
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Which article?The one about Sanimal no longer taking companion animals?It was several years ago,I can try and find it, was summer 2001 I think, Ann Martin may have it,I sent it to her. CBC and others covered it,did you not hear about it?

I didnt say they no longer render companion animals in ON and Quebec,but their biggest place to send them no longer takes them.
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Honest Contributor

No, i missed this newscast... must have been out playing with the doggies Guess I'll do more online research on our local rendering plants, would be good to know what happens in our own back yards, so to speak

edited to add: OK it's still gross! http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/petfood2.html

Quote:
In 2001, I again contacted the Ministry of Agriculture in Quebec and asked if any other rendering plants in Quebec were accepting and rendering dogs and cats. The reply was: "Yes, here is the establishment that now accepts cats and dogs: Maple Leaf, Inc." Maple Leaf Foods also owns Rothsay Rendering and Shur-Gain pet foods.
even if Sanimal doesn't accept cat and dog corpses since 2001 (so they say...), other rendering plants still do here and in other provinces... let's not even talk about what happens in the USA, where the majority of our petfoods come from. just... shocking.

Last edited by technodoll; February 9th, 2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I am not in Quebec and it was top news for several days.radio,tv,paper etc,that was 2 years into my research on foods for my companion animals,feels like yesterday,was a huge deal,and on all the pet boards and raw feeding lists

Link here on cbc,original article I may have from my last computer,not sure,was probably on the one before that,if you look, you will find more

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/2004/200401/20040112.html
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Honest Contributor

ah yes... Jan 2004. that was exactly the time i started researching petfoods, two months before we picked up dakotah-puppy to bring him home. i was not part of any pet forum then... didn't know what they were but did my research, talked to people, decided on a raw diet for beanie because of this rendering horror. Just didn't click about "Sanimal". goes to show how much there is to learn in this big wide world... one day at a time

Old February 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes many rendering plants do take companion animals in,that should be no surprise to anyone.Have you read Ann Martin's books?Her first one was in 1997.Funny stuff was that many raw feeders jumped all over it to show raw was best,then her second book in 2001 was very anti raw and pro home cooked instead.I found it funny.
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww that is great techno,glad you decided to do some research!
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Honest Contributor

yeah i got hooked on researching petfoods... read everything i could from Ann Martin, got Dr Pitcairn's book, Tom Lonsdale's book, read about kibbles from A to Z, talked to rawfeeders, researched that, boy was it a scary and exhilarating ride! months of research... and still learning every day.

i think that there is not one diet for every dog, some do best on cooked diets, others raw, some in-between... heck we "experimented" the whole gamut to end up where we are, LOL! (except for crappy dry foods of course). had i known 15 years ago what I do now on petfoods, i'm convinced my two dobies would have lived longer and healthier lives... carrying guilt, how does one get rid of that?! i did the best i could, at the time... i just had NO idea. pre-internet, the dessimation of knowledge and information, specially on petfoods, was just not the same.

bless the internet!

Old February 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Good for you!

Sounds like we were on the same path,you just started 5 years after me,no biggie,I understand the passion to try and do what is best!I am more a book person rather than the net personally as far as research.

I remember being mocked here for my years researching foods,but that is fine,I ignore most bashing.
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Honest Contributor

wow... i can't imagine anyone bashing you for researching and gaining knowledge on something you hold dear to heart? that's just crazy well see now, others are flocking and want to know more now, i guess the tides are turning.

yay!

Old February 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Well, I only started maybe 3 years ago, so you're all much further ahead of me.
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Honest Contributor

prin, 3 years ago for me too "and counting"! LOL

Old February 10th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I was really lucky...I was edumacated about dog food by Boxer Rescue the minute Buster entered my home Actually, all their fosters are fed hollistic kibble (except Crystal's...who are lucky enough to be on raw )

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:48 PM
~Cat Servent~

For my own babies I did do research on foods and went with Nutro, which to my knowledge did not contain anything questionable (was in our price range for our 6 cuties). Recently we had to switch them all to a special vet diet (Medi-cal, Hypo/Gastro) for possible food allergies and the ingredients in that are alright (although its hitting below the budget belt). I was just in shock when I first heard of rendering because I had no idea that the practice even existed... I am relatively new to pets only had cats for about 8-10 years, we had a rabbit growing up and when he passed weren't allowed pets till we moved out. I really got into the research and proper care and using better litter and caring for strays after stumbling onto this site and meeting up with the rescue group I work with. Some of the stuff that I've found out about just floors me. I wish I could appologize profusely for getting my first baby Cordelia declawed....I had no idea how cruel that was. She is with my folks now and so happy, and since her none of mine or my friends or family have declawed a single kitty. So I guess learning all this here is a great thing cause I pass it on in the hopes that others do better for their furbabies too. Now if I could just get my little brother and his wife to clean their litter boxes more often.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:08 AM

possible food allergies

If you are interested in a allergy food, Natural Balance makes a Venison and Pea, and I think there is an Eagle Duck???
Howewver you need to check all of the ingredients to make sure that the protein sources are something your cat has not been exposed to in the past.
Good luck
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:01 AM
-

I humbly suggest that all you meat eaters who are concerned about what your animals are eating may wish to do similar research into what you are eating.
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
I humbly suggest that all you meat eaters who are concerned about what your animals are eating may wish to do similar research into what you are eating.
Way ahead of that mumx3... I actually have been researching more into "people food" for the last 4 years. (meat anyway)
Its been AGES since I have purchased meat at a grocery store for my own personal consumption...
I prefer the "well known farmer down the road approach to it all" Grain fed!!! and the grain is from their fields. Rendering happens with alot of animal feed. Take a look at the spread of mad cow for instance... they actually feed cattle rendered cattle. Forcing cannibalism on them.
NO thanks, I steer clear of all of that. Everything from from our beef to our thanksgiving turkey comes from Guys parents farm, that way I know what im eating.

Quote:
I can't find any information on it, myself (ON and QC not rendering companion animals anymore). where do all the bodies go to now?
The vet here, sends them off to a "group burial" they are shipped up to New Liskeard and burried by the load at some cemetary type thing.:sad: