Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 21st, 2007, 03:26 AM

What Is My Cat(s) Communicating??

I know this is Sebastian doing it because he is a natural fetcher (without ever being trained) and is the only one of my two kittens who adores carrying toys in his mouth. But the problem is lately, he's putting toys into the water bowl! I have two bowls of fresh water for them and more often than not, one of the bowls has a toy in it. I know he's the culprit. But I am concerned the day when I go out and he does this and they no longer have fresh water. Sometimes, they spill it too. Is this just playfulness?? They are just about 6 months old.
I'd love to hear of any similar experiences
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
~Cat Servent~

ah... 6 months... messy messy messy.... to me that sounds pretty normal, adventurous and mischevious! I guess all you can do is change the water when you get home, or perhaps have more than one bowl out and in different locations, so if one gets 'toyed' the other is still clean.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM

Maybe your kitty is part raccoon I would say its playfulness and that you have it under control by having more the one drinking bowl
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM
-

I agree....six month old kitties being playful. If you're worried about them ending up with no water when you go out you could leave one bowl in the sink or bathtub with the faucet dripping slowly.
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

My cat does this all the time. Also tends to leave toys in his food dish (try cleaning crusty canned food off of a fuzzy mouse! Yummy!). Yup, your cats are being playful, enjoy it! Like the others have said, put out more water bowls, or even pick up a pet water fountain (of course, that would make putting a toy in the water even more fun!).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it's natural kitty behaviour. One of my cats is always carrying his toys and placing them by his food and water bowls, sometimes there is quite the collection of toys around and in his bowls. I think it's a possession thing too.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old October 21st, 2007, 07:47 PM

My sister has 3 cats & 1 of them would bat @ the water bowl & spill it everywhere until she got one of the dome fountain w/attached bowl now he's stopped doing that cuz the bowl is too heavy for him to move. That kind of fountain would be good for yours because they can still drink from the dome or the bowl like this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751805

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:14 AM

THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!! Just last night the funniest thing happened. Little Sebastian took his toy dipping one step farther.
They sleep with me in my bed and as I was turning over last night I felt something very wet in bed with me. YUP you guessed it the toy. Soaked in my bed for who knows how long I just chucked it in the garbage tonight (it was a home made toy out of cotton and string) hopefully that'll be the end of that!!!