Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Prime Minister's Wife is an Animal Lover Too

The Prime Minister’s wife is quite the animal lover and even ran an adoption event during a party for the press recently. Also as some of you may know the Prime Minister reportedly cried over the death of a cat. So here's a little insight into the Harper family from today's Toronto Star.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...h=News/Ontario

PM's wife would like a dog
Aug. 17, 2006. 12:52 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — Laureen Harper says she's a dog-lover forced by circumstance into an exclusively feline lifestyle.

The prime minister's wife has had up to seven cats living at 24 Sussex at the same time — including two of her own and five kittens temporarily adopted from the local animal shelter.

But in an ideal world, she says, there would be a puppy patrolling the prime ministerial grounds. She says she's resisted because it wouldn't be the right fit for her family — or fair to the animal.

"I love dogs and we don't have a dog because we have to travel too much. But I would love to have a dog," she said Thursday during an event at the Ottawa Humane Society.

"Dogs have to be walked two to three times a day, cats don't. We have two cats that keep each other company all day long.

"Cats fit our lifestyle . . . You have to think of an animal for 15 or 20 years."

Harper made the remarks at a news conference announcing the humane society's annual fundraising Wiggle Waggle Walkathon. She will help select the walkathon's Top Dog — the canine equivalent of a parade marshall.

Standing beside her was daughter Rachel who seemed nonplussed when informed that she will also help judge the applicants. The seven-year-old paused, shrugged and replied: "I guess."

The prime minister's daughter seemed more fascinated by the Maltese-****zu puppy named Fozzie laid down by her feet. She tried to walk the dog but didn't get very far with all the television cameras and microphone-toting reporters there to chronicle her mom's public appearance.

Besides being known for her love of animals, Harper — a graphic artist and photographer by training — is reputed to be a political junkie with a voracious appetite for consuming news about her husband's career.

She is also known for scooting about town on her motorcycle, and those who know her describe her as down to earth and affable.

However, she has maintained a distance from the spotlight since her husband's election in January. She noted that her 10-minute public appearance Thursday set a new personal benchmark since the election.

"I think this is the most (media) I've done," she said.