Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:27 PM

Doggy Depression?

Can dogs get depressed? I often wonder. Little Mocha seems down in the dumps for the last couple of days. He just kind of mopes around and doesn't seem too interested in his toys. He stares at me with his big brown eyes, and he just seems sad. There's been no change in his appetite, or water consumption, doesn't show signs of back flare up and he's going to the bathroom fine.

Maybe he's tired of being cooped up inside, or perhaps he's bored? We go for two half hour walks a day, plus a few "quickies" for piddle breaks. When he's out, he seems okay, tail wagging, sniffing everything. I don't let him run like a madman like he used to, just due to his back condition.

Any thoughts? Mom and dad give him lots of love and try to play with him during the day....he's even losing interest in his laser pointer...
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:13 AM

back condition, eh?

we had misty spayed last tuesday, so no super excitement allowed. she too seems a wee bit depressed at times i think because we are trying to limit ourselves on how much we excite her with throwing her stuffies (which she loves) for her o fetch and toss about.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hmmm...sounds a little worrisome, Mocha's mum. I think dogs do get depressed, but I've only seen it after they've lost a close companion.

When Cole was showing the same sorts of behavior, we took him in for blood tests and it turned out he was sick. If Mocha hasn't improved by now, I think I'd take him in just to be sure there's nothing going on 'behind the scenes'.

There is something else that causes similar symptoms (in setters, at least), though--and although we know about it and have been fooled before, we always fall for it. We've dubbed it SSMS--sudden setter maturity syndrome... At the age of 2 or 3, setters turn into couch potatoes. It's rather sudden. We always think they're sick and take them to the vet, who informs us that they're just growing up. It couldn't be something like that, could it?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand cherokee
back condition, eh?
Yah, little Mokes was diagnosed with Intervertebral Disc Disease last winter. He also has a birth defect where he's 'missing' a lumbar vertebrae. He's on pain meds / anti inflammatories as required.

[QUOTEhazelrunpack]At the age of 2 or 3, setters turn into couch potatoes. It's rather sudden. We always think they're sick and take them to the vet, who informs us that they're just growing up. It couldn't be something like that, could it? [/QUOTE]

Maybe finally at the ripe old age of 5 1/2, he's decided to slow down! We've been 'taking it easy' since his last back flare up though. Last weekend he over did it at the green belt down the road. He hopped down a hill, and ended up with some back pain, which he was medicated for. For the last few days, his favorite spot has been by the patio window, and there he'll lay for hours until we go outside and then he'll lay back down at the window.

I called my vet clinic and they're open today, so I think we'll pack ourselves up and head out, just for a once over. It can't hurt.

I'll let you all know what's going on. Or, maybe this is Mocha's way of telling me it's time for a haircut!! Poor little shaggy sasquatch!!
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck at the vet! Hope it turns out to be nothing more than a little maturity

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Well, we're back! Ha! Vet thinks I'm a doggy hypochondriac!! Mocha's in great health - we took some blood to be sure and the vet will be phoning me later with the results. Vet suggested that maybe he's getting used to taking it easy due to his back, or, like you suggested hazel, that he's passed into the 'mature' stage of his life. Awwww....my little boy is growing up!!

She's happy with his back, and agrees that he might have over did the running last week, but he's not showing any discomfort right now. He's still got good neurological function in his rear legs.

So, like I said, the doc figures I'm a hypochondriac, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I also talked to her about getting a little wheelchair for him, but she figures that I'm acting a little prematurely. It's an option for when his back legs finally end up paralyzed, but I shouldn't go running out to spend my money just yet.

What a little turkey I have!! I'm always so worried about him! I'm confident that his bloodwork will come back fine....
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

he he he Yeah, we're doggie hypochondriacs, too, but we always feel that the cost of the vet trip is well worth the peace of mind we get from it!

Glad to hear that everything checked out! Mocha must be so proud

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:57 PM

What a good dogmommy. I'm glad Mocha's ok.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Yeah, we're doggie hypochondriacs, too, but we always feel that the cost of the vet trip is well worth the peace of mind we get from it!
Isn't that the truth !!!

I'm glad that Mocha is okay too.
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:31 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Mocha seems to be in better spirits now. He's waddling around the house, probably sniffing for crumbs! I know he's scavenging for something - he forgets to pay attention to his back legs, so he walks like a model on the catwalk (one back paw in front of the other). It's actually quite a manly swagger!!

The vet hasn't phoned me back, so I'm expecting her call tomorrow about Moke's bloodwork. But he's got that mischievous twinkle back so....I better look out!!!
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:45 AM

lol Go Mocha! Drive your mom crazy!
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Vet called me at work today....all blood work great!! Whoo hoo!! Well, I'm much relieved

Turns out mom's a hypochondriac after all!! Oh well....nothing but the best for my :king:
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:04 AM
-

YAY Mocha. Mom can relax now until next time.